AuthorTopic: Official Off-Topic Thread  (Read 244013 times)

Offline Panda

• 威風堂々
    • View Profile

Re: Official Off-Topic Thread

Reply #530 on: May 30, 2007, 09:32:28 am
3D pokemon? As in a proper adventure pokemon and not just an online arena, like the one coming for wii? That would be nice, since like 10 or so of the latest pokemon games have pretty much looked the same.

It's kind of a shame that no one plays magic anymore(at least where i live). All around perfect card game for beginners and pros alike. I wonder if there could be a good business opportunity to introduce some new card game with a more mature target audience(compared to pokemon). Maybe could gather all the old nerds to play Magic for old times' sake.

Yeah of course, as the RPG one. Those Colosseum ones are pointless IMO. But then again, I never owned any, so I can't really speak.

As for Magic, while all around perfect and approachable by any, the game was pretty much based on how much of it you bought. The more cards you got, the better decks you could build (the boosters weren't that cheap, and usually the premade decks were crap, so you would either spend a lot or have a crap deck) and that would throw some away. But it was a blast making totally random decks with luck based combos and beat everyone. Multi battles were pretty neat. Oh and the official competitions were fun, with all that thriller and tension around, (and after winning the whole thing I could get free money and free booster boxes heh)
I haven't played for years, and I sold most of my cards. But I still have my old deck.
But yeah overall, Magic's magic is wearing off.
I wish it would come as a DS game or something to revive some memories though.

Offline Gil

• Too square to be hip
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/475.htm
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio

Reply #531 on: May 30, 2007, 01:21:38 pm
Same feeling about Magic. I solve it by not playing for a few years, then jumping right back in. I just bought some Oddyssey block cards to finish an old block-themed deck, and I plan on keeping it. Same with my Tempest deck.

And Pokémon is brilliant as a game. It was a game long before it became a franchise. It just works. It's simple to get into, hard to get to the top. If you get bored, there's millions of other stuff to do. It's like a story-based sandbox game in many aspects. It's also a collector's game, which helps making it addictive. The idea of having to look for friends that play for those last final pokémon is brilliant too, and not many other games managed to pull it off in the same way.
I do agree that it gets a little stale if you played all of them and they keep adding more pokémon. Some are cool, like Slakoth/Vigoroth/Slaking, others are really lame, like Bidoof here, or that green starter pokémon that evolves into Meganium (compared to the awesome Venusaur).

I loved Fire Red/Leaf Green. The old formula with the awesome GBA graphics (I love the candy coating)

Offline .TakaM

• View Profile
    • Fetch Quest

Reply #532 on: May 30, 2007, 02:06:40 pm
jeez gil, calm down..  :huh:

too soon? :P
« Last Edit: May 30, 2007, 02:10:16 pm by .TakaM »
Life without knowledge is death in disguise

Offline 9_6

• View Profile

Reply #533 on: May 30, 2007, 02:15:24 pm
Pokemon is a great game.
I don't want to see it in 3d though, I would rather like to see those things fully animated beating the crap out of each other in a sideview battlesystem allowing for all pokemon to participate the fight (that 1v1/2v2 is really lame and makes no sense).
That's technically absolutely doable.
Especially on that DS thing.

But instead they keep and keep on adding new critters in every new game whie adding nothing really new.
The abilities and holdable items in gold/silver were a good start but that was about it innovation wise.

Oh yeah and the TV show is crap.
Does scaling an image blur it?
Opera fix Firefox fix

Offline robalan

• View Profile

Reply #534 on: May 30, 2007, 02:18:56 pm
Magic is indeed awesome.  Going to a tech school, there are plenty of people around who play; I'd estimate that at least half of the people there play or have played.  Due to cost of cards, I'm a fan of casual play or limited events; booster drafts and sealed are fun because they create a relatively level playing field.  Everyone has the same chance to open a Damnation or Akroma, no matter how much experience or money you have.
Always remember: a preposition is not something you should end a sentence with.

Offline Gil

• Too square to be hip
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio

Reply #535 on: May 30, 2007, 03:02:34 pm

???

Offline The B.O.B.

• currently losering it up...
    • View Profile

Reply #536 on: May 30, 2007, 04:50:10 pm

???

I think he was referring to the past issues/comments you made in the past, that turned into small arguments. You know, you say something, it isn't received well by so and so, and people ask you to calm down and what not (not pointing fingers as to whose fault it was, anyhow...).

By the by, noticed the new avvy, there Gil. Nice to see an animation. However, I don't quite understand what he's doing. Is he like, quickly transporting himself behind an invisible opponent, pulling off a 2 hit combo, or something?
my back hurts...

Offline Opacus

• Entangled
    • View Profile
    • www.jimjansen.net

Reply #537 on: May 30, 2007, 05:02:24 pm
What what what? New ava? I don't see any animation :0

Offline Gil

• Too square to be hip
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio

Reply #538 on: May 30, 2007, 05:25:58 pm
It's a quick animation I did, but I'm not sure where to take it yet.

It's basically a 2 hit combo, and then a teleport away to avoid a counter move...

Offline .TakaM

• View Profile
    • Fetch Quest

Reply #539 on: May 30, 2007, 05:29:07 pm
man, I was sitting there for ages staring at the little dude with the orange shirt, waiting for him to move

then I cleared my cache :P
Life without knowledge is death in disguise