AuthorTopic: Official Off-Topic Thread  (Read 244078 times)

Offline Zolthorg

• View Profile

Re: Official Off-Topic Thread

Reply #520 on: May 30, 2007, 03:16:11 am
direct linking from serebii?
1) oh goodness that is a scary site
2) direct linking is dishonest in the internets world
3) that picture will go down faster than a new york hooker during the daytime

Offline AdamAtomic

• natural born medic
    • View Profile
    • Adam Atomic

Reply #521 on: May 30, 2007, 03:49:56 am
To quote this week's VGCats:

BIDOOF: The "Vendor Trash" Pokemon.  BIDOOF is this game's RATATTA.  There are eight billion of them, they suck, and nobody is going to want to trade for them.  Catch one to complete your pokedex, then bury it so deep in your storage system that you'll never have to look at its stupid face again.

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #522 on: May 30, 2007, 04:05:58 am
I know how this will sound but here it goes anyway: that people still play pokemon games challenges my perceptions of the world in novel ways.

Offline AdamAtomic

• natural born medic
    • View Profile
    • Adam Atomic

Reply #523 on: May 30, 2007, 04:36:44 am
...and everyone loves a good challenge!   :D

right?   ;D

:)

???

:(

Offline The B.O.B.

• currently losering it up...
    • View Profile

Reply #524 on: May 30, 2007, 05:59:52 am
   I personally never understood the whole fascination of the Pokemon fad. Nor do I understand Yu-Gi-Oh, or whatever. I just don't get the point of these games. They make baby jesus cry. In fact, it's so horrible, that Zombie Jesus arises from his ancient tomb, with half dead skin, black "hellz angels" leather jacket, born-again/celibate prostitutes by his side, and sawed off shot gun in one hand, in the hopes that he finds every sinner and blasts their poor, frail, defenseless bodies away...Zombie Jesus the only true path to heaven, you ask? Hells yes, I say, nay sayer...

* Sinner - [sin·ner, pronounced "Sin-er"] -noun, person who engages in sinful acts; transgessor; engaging in the acts of Pokemon and Yu-gi-oh...
my back hurts...

Offline huZba

• MekaSkull
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/19396.htm
    • huzba
    • View Profile

Reply #525 on: May 30, 2007, 07:17:17 am
Pokemon is awesome. I plan on getting the new one for DS (officially i buy it for my little brother). Haven't really played any of the games before tho, but you can get interested in all kinds of things if you just have the right mindset and give it a chance. Like how power metal used to make me go ewwww, but whaddya know, got a few albums of masterplan and i was sold. It's also more of a social game rather than something you just do by yourself. You achieve something (train a good pokemon), then battle with your friends to find out who's better. I can't imagine anyone having fun playing pokemon without the "let me show you my pokemans" aspect.

Pokemon, Yu-gi-oh, duel masters and so forth are great card games too. Just like the trading-card-games i used to play when i was little (Mutant Chronicles: Doom Troopers), except less violent and more cute.

Offline Panda

• 威風堂々
    • View Profile

Reply #526 on: May 30, 2007, 07:49:51 am
I think as long as you enjoy something and are happy with it, you shouldn't really care about what others think.
Pokemon is good-ish as a game, but it is getting kinda old (and they are running out of ideas for the monsters IMO). I'm still waiting for a 3D one where you can see all the pokemon roaming around (and you can approach them to battle and all) instead of having them appear randomly in small patches of grass.
As for Yu-gi-oh, I hate how everyone looks (esp. those creepy eyes). As card game is alright, but never caught my attention. I do like card games overall, but nothing will beat Magic the Gathering for me. Oh the memories.

Offline .TakaM

• View Profile
    • Fetch Quest

Reply #527 on: May 30, 2007, 08:21:19 am
gave up on pokemon pearl
just isn't fun :-\
I really hate how gamefreaks has tried to expand the franchise, with way too many new stupid pokemon and items, and lots more stupid crap like beauty contests, online play was expected so it doesn't impress me at all.
personally, I'd take the franchise back to red/blue, pretend everything else never happened, and go from there.
no grid based movement, have other trainers 'join your party' battles arent turned based, or atleast not as slow as pokemon's battle...

another thing that I really hate is when you're in the rain, or the sunshine, every single turn in the battle it has to take 10 seconds to say "the sun is shining" or something of that nature, it seems so primitive...
battles in FFIII can be over in 10 seconds, and they look a lot better too, pokemon doesn't really have any nice sprites they want you to slow down and notice :-\
any other franchise, and gamefreaks would be a complete joke, so frustrating...

edit-
btw my birthday yesterday :hehe: *19*
Life without knowledge is death in disguise

Offline huZba

• MekaSkull
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/19396.htm
    • huzba
    • View Profile

Reply #528 on: May 30, 2007, 09:06:50 am
3D pokemon? As in a proper adventure pokemon and not just an online arena, like the one coming for wii? That would be nice, since like 10 or so of the latest pokemon games have pretty much looked the same.

It's kind of a shame that no one plays magic anymore(at least where i live). All around perfect card game for beginners and pros alike. I wonder if there could be a good business opportunity to introduce some new card game with a more mature target audience(compared to pokemon). Maybe could gather all the old nerds to play Magic for old times' sake.

Oh and happy Birthday .TakaM  :y:

Offline Feron

• Carpe Diem
    • View Profile
    • Pixelheart

Reply #529 on: May 30, 2007, 09:29:28 am
pokemon yellow was one of the best games created ever.  the whole original concept was pretty unique, catch 150 animals with different abilities and do a few "quests" along the way.  Nice simple clean graphics.  Those were the days...