AuthorTopic: Official Off-Topic Thread  (Read 243998 times)

Offline Xion

• View Profile
    • FourbitFriday

Re: Official Off-Topic Thread

Reply #490 on: May 27, 2007, 05:24:04 pm
"Huh, I can't see the pics"
See, mayhap it's me, but I don't see anything wrong with this particular one. I mean, maybe the artist needs to find a better host so's everyone can see what they made and give the critiques they're so eager to give or something.

Offline AdamAtomic

• natural born medic
    • View Profile
    • Adam Atomic

Reply #491 on: May 27, 2007, 05:42:35 pm
ur all banned for questioning th emods!!!!

i keed, i keed.  It seems like this argument is about to spiral out into the land of hypotheses though, so here are some facts!

I just checked the last four deleted posts that belong to Gil, and none of them have anything to do with seeing pics.  Two are direct insults, one is chastising an offtopic post in employment (so obviously his reply is offtopic as well - BOTH were deleted), and the last is yet another completely offtopic post in employment.  Gil, if you are trying to improve your online behavior, it is not working yet.

Pixelation is both a social and a critique community; however, for the sake of organization, sometimes we try to keep things separated a bit.  For example, in the pixel art critique forum, users are expected to post critiques of other members' work.  It's a wild idea, I know!

[EDIT - it could be reasonably and persuasively argued that a few offtopic comments here and there wouldn't hurt anything.  Which is totally true!  However, as mods, we need to draw a line somewhere so that critique still gets the main stage, and it quickly gets political and not-cool if we only delete SOME offtopic comments.  A blanket system is much easier and that way we don't hurt anyone's feelings.  So unfortunately, if you want to dump pure praise in the crits board, you must either find a fault or a suggestion, OR stick to offtopic, PMs, or IMs.  Such is life! ]

There are many many ways to simply converse.  There is the colored doodles thread, offtopic convo, introductions, not to mention PMs and the IM info in other user's profiles.  Plus more than a few of us idle in #tigsIRC for most of the day :P  This is a community, but it will only stand out and continue to be useful if we at least keep a couple areas on the board at least somewhat on topic.  If this frustrates you, there is always the rest of the internet to keep you happy!
« Last Edit: May 27, 2007, 05:45:14 pm by AdamAtomic »

Offline Panda

• 威風堂々
    • View Profile

Reply #492 on: May 27, 2007, 05:53:31 pm
Gil's complaint about reporting nonsesne seems a bit strange, but I suppose it's to prevent the mods from getting 300 reports about the same thing. I know Panda is generally pretty thorough in his browsing (read: hunting).

Yes, that's probably it. Again, the mods are probably correct, but since I can't reply to those posts without going off-topic and I can't report them, I must ignore them, which is hard, and forces me to lessen my activity on this board.

Yes, it is that. I can pretty much say that the current mod team is really active, and seeing a post that needs to be deleted without anyone taking action is a once in a while thing.
But also, every mod applies their own judgment when it comes to what needs to go or not, so if something stays, it might be that a mod gave it green light.
Overall I don't think it is that hard to ignore though.

About you wondering why your good posts don't make up for the bad ones, think about it this way. Good posts = helping old people cross the road, bad posts = beating old people up.
Would helping 3 granpas make up for beating 2 up? I don't think so.
If you need to burst with your temperament, make a blog or something.

"Huh, I can't see the pics"
See, mayhap it's me, but I don't see anything wrong with this particular one. I mean, maybe the artist needs to find a better host so's everyone can see what they made and give the critiques they're so eager to give or something.

Ok, you win with that (do you check the URLs individually before posting you can't see the images?) , but it doesn't justify the rest.

Offline Gil

• Too square to be hip
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/475.htm
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio

Reply #493 on: May 27, 2007, 06:27:14 pm
Okay, but isn't it a bit silly to ban me (hypothetically), while I'm sure that 90% of the user base doesn't mind my harsher posts popping up now and then. I AM trying to shape up, don't get me wrong, but it is still in my character to act this way, and thus proving hard to change my ways. In fact, my two strikes were given at times I was trying to protect our little community. One time when arguing with an offender that soon after left this board, and now, telling Eck he was out of line with the smilies. Two times I was not really off-topic, but rather trying to help. I just did it the wrong way...

Ah, well, in the end I'll just have to change up I guess.

The analogy is incorrect, because beating up a gramps is much more of an offense than helping one is a good deed. The posting of an edit takes time, while most of my OT posts are pretty harmless.

Offline Larwick

• Larwick
    • http://www.pixeljoint.com/p/3794.htm
    • View Profile
    • Artstation

Reply #494 on: May 27, 2007, 07:09:52 pm

The analogy is incorrect, because beating up a gramps is much more of an offense than helping one is a good deed.

I'm not sure i completely understand what you mean there, but i don't think the analogy is incorrect, as you'd still go to jail for beating 2 of them up, whether you helped more people or not. Ergo, you'd still be warned for bad posting... etc.

Offline Rox

• View Profile

Reply #495 on: May 27, 2007, 10:47:37 pm
Rox: Things haven't changed much since you left the mod team, so stop trying to make your post sound more neutral by mentioning we got strict as it has not happened at all. Also, you know we have never punished anyone for not being helpful. Not to mention that any kind of punishment has been rather rare around, overall.
Of course I do agree that pixelation would benefit from people giving awesome advice, but that's something everyone should work on, not just the mods.

Hey now, I wasn't trying to do anything. And I didn't mean EXACTLY since I left. We've been at it for a while. But only after I left did I actually get a taste of it myself, when I noticed I'd managed to get a one-liner of my own removed. See, I never knew when one-liners became so serious they have to be deleted. Now having a post deleted isn't punishment, of course. It's cleaning up the forum, making it more user-friendly. But to the writer, it feels a bit like a punishment. In my case, I was commenting on a Last Ninja mock-up, saying it looked good and that I wished to see more of it because I recognized it as being Last Ninja even before I read the thread title. That post got deleted, of course. Because it's a one-liner, pretty much. But I didn't exactly feel like writing the exact same thing again, but spread out over more words, because as far as I can remember I felt I couldn't provide any useful critique to the subject.

It's not that things got strict after I left, I just happened to stumble upon it around that time. I also never suggested the mods should go at it writing more criqitue. You guys are doing an excellent job as is, you don't need more work cut out for you. I'm just trying to think of way to encourage posting more, but also writing higher quality posts. Hm, also, I think deleting one-liners might be a bad thing. It makes it much less clear to the rest of the community, even if we're all familiar with the rules, that one-liners are bad and are dealt with. If they just end up deleted, no one will know they existed in the first place and it won't really have an effect.

I was also in the middle of writing a sentence here, but someone called me and insisted on chit-chatting for half an hour while I was trying to type, so I have NO idea what it was going to say.

Oh, and grandpas... Good posts = helping them across the road, bad posts = beating them up...  Umm... that's a stupid analogy. It's against the law to do something bad. Beating grandpas up, or bad posts. But the law doesn't give a crap if you DON'T do good things, helping grandpas. It also doesn't really care if you do help someone, because it's totally your choice and the law says nothing that one should help grandpas over the road. But it does specifically say that you'll be punished if you beat them up.

So uh... Yeah. Doing bad things puts a spot on the record. But doing good things won't earn you a golden star, or remove those spots. So I guess the analogy is correct... But it's still stupid.

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #496 on: May 28, 2007, 01:53:58 am
The problem is that I don't see those posts anymore, so I can't really correct my actions. I went through some of my posts looking for jackassery (I have no doubt that what you did was correct), but since they seemed to be deleted, I couldn't really correct anything.

Would you guys prefer if we had a locked but visible 'deleted posts' buffer where you can see stuff like

wow pretty good i think

Off-topic but going towards topics name
i have caught them all Smiley

Eww Eboy...

First u should tell us what the hell is this ? 

I am not sure what you gain from looking at the inner workings of what essentially is a routine sweep of the Pixelation floor. Just know that the critique section of the boards is agressively moderated against one-liners. I know this because I'm the one doing the most deleting. Why?

Because besides helping the original poster, a critique thread should also be considered an archive to be used by people who will a long time from now browse the forums to learn. And such a thread should read as to the point as possible. The art, the critique, the edits, the outcome. I know a lot of you like the social aspect of shooting the shit while you also do critique, and I know shifting the way this is done will take some time for everybody to readjust, but: keep the OT to the general board, and the critique to the critique board. Remember, the critique board is not just for you, it's for the people that will come after you. Keep it tidy.

If I get banned because of my attitude in certain posts, despite the others I make, then it will be the board's loss, not mine.

You are incorrect. The board is bigger than any single user. It was started by Tsugumo, and Tsugomo is not here, yet the board is. It was continued by Pep, Pep is not here, the board is. Sure, losing any active and helpful person from the boards is a loss, but the boards carry on. As long as there's lots of people that want to learn the art, and to help each other, a single brilliant contributor as much as we'll miss him, will never be above the rules of the forum.

I really do wish I had the time and focus to manage constructive criticism as much as I used to on the old boards.

I really do wish the same for you and for anybody else that was once helping people and no longer is. The only reason I don't feel bad at my position of prominent authority in Pixelation (a position I sort of stumbled to) is because I personally still do what I came here to do how many years ago: critique, learn, help.

I'm probably just a bit dissapointed that I can't make up for my temperemental posts with my other, better posts

Of course you can. Just think of it as karma to burn. Doing a good critique never goes unnoticed by the moderators. Being helpful eventually burns out strikes. However, for the purposes of simpler management, the tree strike rule is a bit draconic. You can be a wonderful user a thousand times, but if you mess up three times in a comparatively short amount of time, you're outta here. No exceptions. You have two strikes. This means: shape up, help people, and in a few months you won't have them any more. This doesn't mean that once you don't have them you can start insulting people when you feel like it though, as my experience tells me that people with strikes eventually end up banned. If you are a repeat offender, the strikes will fall faster because nobody has the patience or will give you the benefit of the doubt. Sincerily, if you find yourself getting more than the odd strike, chances are you are not approaching this board correctly on a fundamental level and need to rework your approach from there and up. In your case, you think that because you're an old user and you've been helpful in occasions, this earns you a free 'oh that gil, so endearing' pass at being obnoxious. This simply is not the case. You are not a moderator, you don't need to protect the boards by insulting people away.

As you see, I have been actively trying to better myself the last months, only to get another strike, I'm kind of stuck here...

How are you stuck? Just simply stop insulting other users, keep it to helpful critique and the strikes will burn off.

es, that's probably it. Again, the mods are probably correct, but since I can't reply to those posts without going off-topic and I can't report them, I must ignore them, which is hard, and forces me to lessen my activity on this board.

You're saying this as if flaming or trolling is the sort of activity this board considers a boon from you. It's not. That's exactly the sort of activity you should force yourself to lessen on this board. Learn to ignore. It's good. It's not up to you to keep the boards clean, it's up to the moderators, and it's a boring, thankless job but it gets done anyway.

Okay, but isn't it a bit silly to ban me (hypothetically), while I'm sure that 90% of the user base doesn't mind my harsher posts popping up now and then.

Snap out of it. It's largely disingenious to summon the support of an unverifiable and abstract majority of people and speak through them. This isn't an election by popular vote. It's a simple rule: don't be an ass.

So uh... Yeah. Doing bad things puts a spot on the record. But doing good things won't earn you a golden star, or remove those spots.

You are wrong, doing good things on this board does clean your record of strikes. from the rules:
The severity of an offense is usually worth one strike on your record. Three strikes and you're out for good. Strikes wear off like karma as you do right and time passes.
That you don't know this yet you were a moderator for a period of time astounds me.

Offline Xion

• View Profile
    • FourbitFriday

Reply #497 on: May 28, 2007, 02:53:31 am
u kno wat character i wanna see in smach bros. brawl/? i want 2 play as a poemon trainter and ridlet.

Offline AdamAtomic

• natural born medic
    • View Profile
    • Adam Atomic

Reply #498 on: May 28, 2007, 03:05:23 am
but dude did you see the composer list?  MITSUDA!  Chrono's GOTTA be playable.  He's just gotta!

Offline .TakaM

• View Profile
    • Fetch Quest

Reply #499 on: May 28, 2007, 04:38:23 am
smash bros, honestly not that psyched for the game, might get it, definitely not the top of my list though.

A friend of mine is making a simple little program for displaying paralax layers, it's not quite finished yet, but it's already pretty cool

you can choose the rate each layer moves, and you use your mouse to move the layers round, looks very cool in motion :y:
I'll link you guys when it's finished  ;)
Life without knowledge is death in disguise