AuthorTopic: Official Off-Topic Thread  (Read 244077 times)

Offline Rox

• View Profile

Re: Official Off-Topic Thread

Reply #480 on: May 27, 2007, 02:00:30 pm
I do get where they're coming from Gil. I've seen a couple of your posts that appeared much more destructive than helpful to me. But I can't remember what now. It's a bit of a balance, because you obviously know what you're doing. You can be constructive, obviously. Just sometimes, for some reason, the opposite happens. Rarely, but it's happened.

I'm not sure how I feel about the upped strictness on these forums, actually. Around the same time I quit my job as a moderator here, things got a lot more... um... controlled. Which I guess is a good thing, but I find myself wondering if it's a good idea to punish people for not being helpful, or if it'd be better to somehow reward those who are.

But honestly, I don't think it's that big of a problem. People just need someone who can jump in now and then and always have awesome advice. That keeps other members on their toes and make them much more willing to help, as well. Pep used to be good at it, I remember. Helm's doing a good job now, but it's not quite enough.

I really do wish I had the time and focus to manage constructive criticism as much as I used to on the old boards. It's all a positive spiral. Once enough prople get comment-happy enough, more will join in on it.

Offline eck

• But why is RUM gone???
    • View Profile

Reply #481 on: May 27, 2007, 02:14:32 pm
honestly, i dont see how making an ot post takes anything from the topic.  personally, i rather liked the more loose, laid back feel i had when i came here to browse a while back (thinking about it, yeah probably about the time when rox was still a mod).  now when i come, and i feel like its more along the lines of you 'MUST CRITIQUE OR DONT POST'.  theres not much room for just 'shooting the breese' or just posting, chating with pixelers simply because you can.  then again, its not my forum, and im not trying to tell you how to run it, but i think you will find me, and prehaps others too, posting less and less, with less and less art.

As for how you only see helpful posts from Gil, it is pretty much because we delete all his crap posts.

why?  they may not add anything to the art, but honestly, are they really that bad that you need to delete them? 

i understand that this is probably a terrible comparison, but it kinda feels like you guys are being dictators, and if we say something out of line, then you erase it.

and to change the topic because i dont really feel like reading you guys arguing anymore:

NEW QUESTION: who is your favorite mod?
« Last Edit: May 27, 2007, 02:18:27 pm by eck »
untz untz untz?

Offline .TakaM

• View Profile
    • Fetch Quest

Reply #482 on: May 27, 2007, 02:26:15 pm
:hehe::n:

anywho, this conversation seems kinda out of place to me, like it always seems strange to me when a mod has to take action on a regular here, not only because I don't see it happen very often.. but it just seems kinda weird, like mods aren't quite sure how much pull they have, and member's aren't quite sure how much pull the mods should have :P
and the result is some awkward conversation like this :hehe::y:
Life without knowledge is death in disguise

Offline Gil

• Too square to be hip
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/475.htm
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio

Reply #483 on: May 27, 2007, 02:30:17 pm
I don't think I'm unhappy with the current mods. They're doing a grand job. I'm probably just a bit dissapointed that I can't make up for my temperemental posts with my other, better posts, as this means I'll probably have to skip 50% of my posts I want to make...

I tried reporting nonsense posts instead of replying to them, but that spawned another PM from the mods, telling me not to report nonsense posts. At the old pixelation I actually received several PMs thanking me for reporting them, so I was again slightly dissapointed that I couldn't keep doing that here with the new mods.

As you see, I have been actively trying to better myself the last months, only to get another strike, I'm kind of stuck here...

Offline Feron

• Carpe Diem
    • View Profile
    • Pixelheart

Reply #484 on: May 27, 2007, 03:25:33 pm

why?  they may not add anything to the art, but honestly, are they really that bad that you need to delete them? 
Theres no point to random chat, it just clogs up a thread, whereas i like to read artistical advice not "what eck is doing for dinner etc..."

i understand that this is probably a terrible comparison, but it kinda feels like you guys are being dictators, and if we say something out of line, then you erase it.
I don't think that the mods here are dictator like.  If a post isn't helpful in any way then why should it exist?  If you want to "chat to other pixellers" the introductions thread and this thread are where its at.  Or you could just get their MSN's and Aims and chat in your own time!

and to change the topic because i dont really feel like reading you guys arguing anymore:
dont read it then, i would also watch what you say around here, your last post could have been taken offensively, friendly advice : take a step back and read what you have writen before you click the post button.
totally unneccesary, thats like what asking "whats my favourite beer" ... there all good.

Offline Faceless

• View Profile

Reply #485 on: May 27, 2007, 03:30:09 pm
Get a personality transplant. ;)

Eck, you're in the topic where you can post whatever you want. I think it's unfair to the artist if your post has nothing to do with their work.
People come here for help, not for you to talk about what you had for dinner in their thread. You can discuss general things pertaining to pixel art in a topic of your own making in General Discussion. Personally, I think the system works, and I'm glad the mods enforce the rules the way they do. Gil's complaint about reporting nonsesne seems a bit strange, but I suppose it's to prevent the mods from getting 300 reports about the same thing. I know Panda is generally pretty thorough in his browsing (read: hunting).

Your question about who is our favourite mod is totally out of order, and something I would find insulting in any situation, as a mod or not. It comes off as a thinly veiled attempt to ask which one we like the least. You don't have to like them or even agree with them on every issue, but you should respect the amount of effort they put into making this community as enjoyable as possible. They don't have to make activities for us, or make banners to go with them.

Offline Panda

• 威風堂々
    • View Profile

Reply #486 on: May 27, 2007, 03:30:40 pm
Rox: Things haven't changed much since you left the mod team, so stop trying to make your post sound more neutral by mentioning we got strict as it has not happened at all. Also, you know we have never punished anyone for not being helpful. Not to mention that any kind of punishment has been rather rare around, overall.
Of course I do agree that pixelation would benefit from people giving awesome advice, but that's something everyone should work on, not just the mods.

eck: I'm pretty sure you have no idea when Rox stopped being a mod. As mentioned not much has changed, and things only feel strict to you because you have been warned for repeated OT posting. I don't mind a little OT here and there, but you have gone overboard. You keep posting things like "Huh, I can't see the pics" and "Yeah I agree with whoever", only smileys or simply going OT, and not only once or twice, but a lot. Maybe you should read the board rules and check how it states you should keep threads on topic.
I don't think anyone has stopped you from chatting to anyone, and if it has happened, probably it was because you did it on the wrong place.
You ask why we deleted the crap posts? To keep the boards clean and prevent any kind of arguing.
Dictators you said? You'd be banned and would have tracked you and reported your parents for forum misuse already if we were :P

Offline Feron

• Carpe Diem
    • View Profile
    • Pixelheart

Reply #487 on: May 27, 2007, 03:36:37 pm
not for you to talk about what you had for dinner in their thread.

lol i don't think that happened, i was just using it as an example.   ;D

Offline Faceless

• View Profile

Reply #488 on: May 27, 2007, 04:24:39 pm
I was typing my reply at the same time as you were posting yours. I never actually saw yours before posting mine.
It's just a coincidence that we both used that particular exaggeration.

Offline Gil

• Too square to be hip
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/475.htm
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio

Reply #489 on: May 27, 2007, 05:21:08 pm
Gil's complaint about reporting nonsesne seems a bit strange, but I suppose it's to prevent the mods from getting 300 reports about the same thing. I know Panda is generally pretty thorough in his browsing (read: hunting).

Yes, that's probably it. Again, the mods are probably correct, but since I can't reply to those posts without going off-topic and I can't report them, I must ignore them, which is hard, and forces me to lessen my activity on this board.

Do not report useless stuff like you did yesterday anymore. Reports should only be for violations and serious problems, not random posts.

This was the PM about the nonsense posts, so Faceless is probably right...