AuthorTopic: Official Off-Topic Thread  (Read 244102 times)

Offline Feron

• Carpe Diem
    • View Profile
    • Pixelheart

Re: Official Off-Topic Thread

Reply #470 on: May 26, 2007, 10:51:50 pm
It seems Henk does a lot of stuff without really worrying about tiles, but just drawing one large image. Is that a good direction to go with when doing graphics for games nowadays, since the same limitations aren't in place anymore?

Was talking with ptoing earlier about this, and he thinks he can get away with soo many tiles because of the programming.

Restricting yourself to tiles will make you a better artist, technically and efficiently, regardless of whether or not it is game art.  If you are specifically making game-art i'd say pus your limitations to the maximum.  Most wireless games still use tiles, so it would be good practice, but if the platform allows you to save time by using other means, go for it!

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #471 on: May 26, 2007, 11:55:42 pm
Henk went through the whole history of video games making tile-based games so if he wants to do freeform art now, it doesn't suffer from it. He uses a lot (I'm thinking the Harry Potter game) flat planes (8x8 single color tiles) to connect busy huge iterations of buildings, trees, etc. It probably requires some smart coding.

Offline Gil

• Too square to be hip
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/475.htm
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio

Reply #472 on: May 27, 2007, 02:15:05 am
Wow, I received no less than 2 PMs from mods, plus an extra strike for being an ass. Am I that big of an ass?

(not looking for a fight, just an honest question)

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #473 on: May 27, 2007, 03:11:46 am
How would people be able to answer that since they have not read most of the posts by you we've deleted as problematic?

Offline Panda

• 威風堂々
    • View Profile

Reply #474 on: May 27, 2007, 07:02:20 am
Well, if you weren't, why would you be receiving strikes and warnings?

Offline eck

• But why is RUM gone???
    • View Profile

Reply #475 on: May 27, 2007, 11:17:24 am
i dont know.. a few weeks ago, i got a strike because i 'spammed' that i couldnt see an image...  not to mention a warning because i brought my post up with new artwork..

gil:  actually ive seen you as rather helpfull and active on these boards... prety much the exact oposite of an ass..  then again, i dont know what you got warned for, so i best keep my mouth shut  :(
untz untz untz?

Offline Panda

• 威風堂々
    • View Profile

Reply #476 on: May 27, 2007, 11:40:09 am
i dont know.. a few weeks ago, i got a strike because i 'spammed' that i couldnt see an image...  not to mention a warning because i brought my post up with new artwork..

gil:  actually ive seen you as rather helpfull and active on these boards... prety much the exact oposite of an ass..  then again, i dont know what you got warned for, so i best keep my mouth shut  :(

You got a strike for spamming around the boards adding nothing but OT, and not only because you complained about not being able to see an image. It was building up. We ignored it a couple of times and simply deleted the useless posts, but we had enough. And the warning was for shamelessly bumping your thread multiple times instead of editing your post (you don't need to double post within 2 hours).

As for how you only see helpful posts from Gil, it is pretty much because we delete all his crap posts.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2007, 11:41:59 am by Panda »

Offline Gil

• Too square to be hip
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio

Reply #477 on: May 27, 2007, 01:03:39 pm
The problem is that I don't see those posts anymore, so I can't really correct my actions. I went through some of my posts looking for jackassery (I have no doubt that what you did was correct), but since they seemed to be deleted, I couldn't really correct anything.

The only post I explicitly recall being posted and thus being deleted is a joke post where I told Eck that he was seriously out of line in the contest thread...

Ah, well, no harm done I guess. I'll try to be a bit more careful, but I would find it offensive if you would eventually ban me, since I HAVE been here for the last 4 years, and I HAVE posted tons of useful stuff too, especially on old pixelation.

I'm sorry to take this public, but I don't really want to handle something like this in PMs

Offline Panda

• 威風堂々
    • View Profile

Reply #478 on: May 27, 2007, 01:25:55 pm
It's not about what you did nor how you were, but what you do and are NOW.
I don't really care whether you were helpful in the past or whatever, if you behave like an asshole you will receive the same treatment as anyone else.
You are not any more special than the rest of the members, regardless how long you've been around.
Actually, esp. because you have been that long you should be aware of the way to behave. Remember what was rule #1 in the old faq?
Also, forget about trying to fix what you did, instead focus on not repeating your actions.
About being banned, it is all up to you, but be aware that next time you behave like a jerk, I won't hesitate and shoot.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2007, 01:35:24 pm by Panda »

Offline Gil

• Too square to be hip
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio

Reply #479 on: May 27, 2007, 01:47:11 pm
If I get banned because of my attitude in certain posts, despite the others I make, then it will be the board's loss, not mine.

About the "NOW", if you look at this folder: http://art.game-designer.org/pixelart/edit/
You see that I have been actively giving edits and helpful comments for the last 3 months

I must say it's a bit dissapointing that I am perceived this way by the mods (and perhaps the other members?)

(again, I'm not getting angry, I'm just trying to solve the problem as adults through an open discussion, I'm trying really hard not to be an ass)