AuthorTopic: Official Off-Topic Thread  (Read 243941 times)

Offline Sherman Gill

• View Profile

Re: Official Off-Topic Thread

Reply #350 on: April 25, 2007, 01:31:14 am
Congrat, Larwick, but a warning is necessary: They take a while to get used to. Also, don't expect much precision at any but the few highest zoom levels when pixelling.
Oh yes naked women are beautiful
But I like shrimps more haha ;)

Offline ndchristie

• View Profile

Reply #351 on: April 25, 2007, 01:35:09 am
there are a few things i hate about macs.  1- directories and interface are too automated to be of any use to me, especially on their laptops where you end up getting yourself into all sorts of rediculous "handy" tools because using a tablet or a touchpad it's impossible to keep the pointer exactly where you want it and anywhere else calls up something you never wanted - without you clicking.  this is a real trend too - everything on a mac is done for you.  All i want is a computer that only files my commands :( :( :(

the other thing is their commercials.  every time i see one, i want to buy a PC.  especially the new one that mentioned "wmp.dll" as a "cryptic error message".  it is telling you the exact name of the file you want to fix!!  what more could you possibly want from an error message...?  Macs dont do that though, they do the spinning rainbow wheel for 20 minutes before just not doing what you asked.

macs also break too easily.  every virus is almost completely fatal, requiring a format, new harddrive, or even just a new computer.  it happens quickly to, and there is no way to know easily what might be wrong until it is too late to stop it.  Everyone i have ever known who has purchased a mac has seen it die suddenly and catastrophically.

Many people like macs because they don't want to think about things step by step, they just want to do.  push all the clutter aside.  Its like the new photoshop - half the work the old versions needed, but also with only half the potential and even less thought put in.  thank god they left all the old features and made it so you can toggle the new ones.

these are things meant for people who just dont care about what they are doing.  people who want to get decent photos in 3 clicks, or listen to music, or make industry standard art fast.  Assemblylined comfy straight-to-the-destination computers where the pc's take the bumpy but more interesting scenic rout.  Its a family computer and a business computer, but i personally think it is terrible as a personal computer.
A mistake is a mistake.
The same mistake twice is a bad habit.
The same mistake three or more times is a motif.

Offline Mixel

• View Profile

Reply #352 on: April 25, 2007, 02:17:12 am
Every virus is almost completely fatal? There hasnt been a *single* report of a serious osX virus outbreak in the wild, and osX is like.. 7 years in public use?.. I totally disagree about the breakability thing. I've never had that sort of issue.. (ive had a couple of hds die completely, but they were just hds, nothing to do with the mac) In my family we have a G3 ibook, a G4 powemac, G4 imac, G4 powerbook, a G5 Powermac, a Macbook, and a Macbook Pro and all work as perfectly as ever.. And they've all recieved seriously heavy use. ... And you do get detailed error messages most of the time - if anything crashes all the info goes in the Console crash log anyway.

Also I dont really know what you mean about it doing things for you, Windows is no better with it's "wizards". It doesn't do anything without me telling it to first? The OS's really aren't *that* different imo. All the main productivity apps are identical, and the finder + spotlight is not that different to Windows Explorer.. How is a Mac a bad Personal Computer? It lets you easily install X11 and run pretty much all unix apps. It comes with a fully functional unix terminal out of the box... You could choose to use that if you hate the UI. There are "easy" apps and more complex ones, like there is on windows. It's not inherently a lazy person's OS.

One thing I really hate is the idea that if something is harder its in some way better or more worthy. You get that a lot from Linux bods. If you really can get the same results with less work, what's so bad about that? I really don't understand the argument, why would you choose to make things more difficult..? As long as you aren't losing functionality to make something easier then it doesn't strike me as a problem. If they're making photoshop easier for beginners, that strikes me as a good thing, as long as they don't prune stuff!

One thing I definitely agree on, the ads largely suck. :/

Hehe computer debates.  :'(

Offline Stwelin

• View Profile

Reply #353 on: April 25, 2007, 02:52:31 am
Greetings pixelers. I was just wondering, i recently started trying out the Opera web browser, since it uses less memory than firefox, at least for me, and i realized that when i click to resize images that are not transparent, the pixels get all smoothed out an gross. (as opposed to the 'nearest neighbor' or lossless resize.)

Anyone know if this is rectifiable?

Offline sharprm

• INTP/INTJ
    • View Profile

Reply #354 on: April 25, 2007, 06:42:39 am
Just had an idea for a activity/challenge: make your avatar in the style of the 'chaos engine' portraits.
Modern artists are told that they must create something totally original-or risk being called "derivative".They've been indoctrinated with the concept that bad=good.The effect is always the same: Meaningless primitivism
http://www.artrenewal.org/articles/Philosophy/phi

Offline Opacus

• Entangled
    • View Profile
    • www.jimjansen.net

Reply #355 on: April 25, 2007, 08:07:47 am
Just had an idea for a activity/challenge: make your avatar in the style of the 'chaos engine' portraits.
I liek that, fadatar follow up <3

Offline Jad

• View Profile

Reply #356 on: April 25, 2007, 11:50:51 am
I had an idea for a challenge :0

Make a nice picture using flawed pixel-art techniques. Like for example, you'd have to resort to jaggy sel-out on a picture but still try to make it nice-looking.

Another challenge will be to create the best sprite to your ability, but use pillow-shading for coloring xD

Man, can't come up with more, though ... Broken perspective perhaps? Black outlines? Pixel against a white BG?

I think it could be interesting and I dunno, amusing seeing a thread with REALLY ambitious pictures, only that every and each of them is pillow-shaded.

:] My sense of humor is shit xD
' _ '

Offline The B.O.B.

• currently losering it up...
    • View Profile

Reply #357 on: April 25, 2007, 03:27:05 pm
Ha ha, yeah. Pillow shading + good sprite-art=Impossible...
my back hurts...

Offline Stwelin

• View Profile

Reply #358 on: April 25, 2007, 07:47:44 pm
I actually see a lot of fun in that activity. Nothing to learn from, which kinda goes against our ways around here, but would be funny nonetheless.

Offline Rydin

• ...zzzt...
    • @thickDumps
    • View Profile
    • thickDumps

Reply #359 on: April 25, 2007, 09:00:03 pm
I had an idea for a challenge :0

Make a nice picture using flawed pixel-art techniques. Like for example, you'd have to resort to jaggy sel-out on a picture but still try to make it nice-looking.

Another challenge will be to create the best sprite to your ability, but use pillow-shading for coloring xD

Man, can't come up with more, though ... Broken perspective perhaps? Black outlines? Pixel against a white BG?

I think it could be interesting and I dunno, amusing seeing a thread with REALLY ambitious pictures, only that every and each of them is pillow-shaded.

:] My sense of humor is shit xD

that's an awesome Idea
Man cannot remake himself without suffering for he is both the marble and the sculptor.