AuthorTopic: Official Off-Topic Thread  (Read 243920 times)

Offline Rox

• View Profile

Re: Official Off-Topic Thread

Reply #330 on: April 23, 2007, 08:19:57 am
my 360 owns your mac

Offline Mixel

• View Profile

Reply #331 on: April 23, 2007, 10:15:52 am
AdamA has it down completely.. The mac/PC thing *never ends* - though i think it's sometimes a fun debate. I prefer using macs but I like having windows around for extra games, hehe.

Feron: Pixen crashes all the time for me.. Well, it used to - I should probably give it another chance. I use photoshop for pretty much everything (mostly not pixel graphics!)... I second your adium comment.. Adium is gorgeous.. Also, Colloquy for IRC is a good bet.

Stwelin: Jumbled up inside? They seem tidier? I spend about the same time inside/upgrading my mac as I do my PC/s.. Also all macs made in the last year (+?) either have a right mouse button, or the ability to do right clicks without using the keyboard (two-finger click on laptops) and they've supported multi button mice for over a decade - You probably already know about that, its just the "omgar macs only have one button, i like more buttons!" thing is always brought up in most mac/pc conversation, hehe.

I agree though, there are a lot of annoying Mac elitists, but they're on both sides of the fence really. I guess as the Mac guys are a minority they may feel the need to be more vocal about it? Mac users do sometimes get looked down on or implied/labelled as dumb.. Which makes it easy to get defensive.  When I started my course at Uni (BSc games design) the amount of jokey crap people would say was bordering on surreal, and almost always out of ignorance/having been fed misinformation. I dont think there's a higher proportion of annoying or stuck up Mac users than Windows ones - but there are closed minded people on "both sides" for sure. People just need to defend their investment I guess, without realising the right thing for them isn't necessarily the right thing for everyone else.

Personally I think the main thing going for the Mac (other than the stability/pseudo-immunity/looks) is lots of unique software.. just like windows. :) So it really depends what software you want to run.

Random personal Mac thing: I'm *very* happy as I just flashed an ati9800xt to work in my "old" dualG5 powermac.  Hurrah for free/cheap upgrades!  Also, before I was a Mac user I was an Amiga user.. Part of me's still waiting for a usable modern Amiga as a hobby machine. That part has been waiting a LONG time. Grr.

What type are you on Feron? My main machine is the Powermac, but I have a Macbook for Uni.. Being able to run windows+osX simultaneously is useful as we need to run a lot of Windows only dev stuff. Virtools mostly. Blech.

bla bla bla bla bla bla bla
That too.   :lol: I fail so bad at avoiding this sort of topic.  :'(

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #332 on: April 23, 2007, 10:37:12 am
Once I slid a goat wide open and inside her intestines I saw the future of the world. Prophetic visions overtook me and sent me on a vision quest, far beyond the lands of current time, deep into the culmination of the age of man.

They didn't use Macs there.

Offline Evil-Ville

• :))))))))))):
    • View Profile

Reply #333 on: April 23, 2007, 11:00:07 am
New macs are basically PCs with fancy cases anyways. You can run Windows on a mac and Mac OS X on PC.

Offline Stwelin

• View Profile

Reply #334 on: April 23, 2007, 11:42:07 am
New macs are basically PCs with fancy cases anyways. You can run Windows on a mac and Mac OS X on PC.

you... can't run OS X on a pc. it's all hardware specific.

edit: well, it's POSSIBLE, but it's not meant to be done. it's a 'hack' as they call it. (at least, the article i read.)

but why would you WANT to? :\

Offline Gil

• Too square to be hip
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/475.htm
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio

Reply #335 on: April 23, 2007, 12:10:34 pm
OS X on PC = fail. You try it once, and if it doesn't work you're out of luck...

Offline Evil-Ville

• :))))))))))):
    • View Profile

Reply #336 on: April 23, 2007, 12:17:42 pm

you... can't run OS X on a pc. it's all hardware specific.

edit: well, it's POSSIBLE, but it's not meant to be done. it's a 'hack' as they call it. (at least, the article i read.)

but why would you WANT to? :\

Someone might like the OS but doesn't feel like buying an over-priced computer.

Offline Darien

• ...nine...ten...draw!
    • View Profile

Reply #337 on: April 23, 2007, 01:08:49 pm
My only problem with my Mac is that the mouse feels so much different than from when I was on a PC... like it's less accurate.  I've tried adjusting the settings but I just can't get it right.  Pixelling feels so weird.

Offline The B.O.B.

• currently losering it up...
    • View Profile

Reply #338 on: April 23, 2007, 02:02:05 pm
   Well, the funny thing is that I hear issues from BOTH sides of the equation everyday. I do tech support for Fiber Optic services, which includes video(tv/cable), voice(phone), and data(internet). At our dept., we have remote assistance over some customer's cpus, and I must say that I've dabbled in all OS's. That's Linux, Macs, and PCs. To be honest, half the crap that most people argue over about the machines, DON'T F***ING MATTER TO THE COMMON PERSON.
   I've talked to Mac and PC elitists. They're both annoying, and fail to see the overall picture. People say one OS is better than the other, but I could honestly care less. I hear problems on both OS's on a daily basis, which means overall, they both suck equally as much and on the contrary, are as equally good. For ex.:

" Why do I keep getting these re-occuring pop-ups on my Mac, and than it starts freeze? I thought Macs don't get viruses! That's supposed to only happen with Windows machines!! I'm suing Verizon for letting this happen!!" BUZZZ, wrong. Please try again later, good sir.

" I can't open I.E!! Every time I try to open it, it just flashes, and nothing happens. What the hell is the problem! (*log into cpu and check settings, as well as alt. ways to clear cache and cookies, and open it through various ways. No dice, chico...). Why can't you fix it! After all, I bought the internet from you guys, and you can't even provide a connection for me. Verizon is trying to destroy me!..." Just...no. The connection on your cpu is valid, as we can ping website, and you are definitely gaining an ip address. It's not my fault, NOR is it Verizons, that you didn't try and download another browser just incase the other went down. Tough cookies, we don't support browser issues. So down load I.E. from your win cd, and call us back with another one of your brilliant issues.

" I can't send or recieve mail from my Mac mail/outlook! Why, it was working fine the other day!!! I bet ya', if I had Win/ Mac this would be working a helluva' lot better!" Nopers. Both are pretty shitty when they want to be. But I can still try to assist you in making them less shitty. Personally, I'd rather you NOT use the Verizon mail services, as IT is in fact the shitty culprit, that culminates your problems. Ever heard of Yahoo!, or MSN? Yeah, I'd suggest using them instead. Verizon isn't a Dictatorship, sir/madam. We're not forcing you to use it...sooo don't...please.

" THIS IS BULLSHIT! EVER SINCE I UPDATED FROM XP TO VISTA  ON TO MY CPU, SOME OF MY PROGRAMS AREN'T WORKING CORRECTLY! I THOUGHT THIS WAS SUPPOSED TO BE THE NEXT BEST THING. I BLAME YOUR DAMN, STUPID COMPANY FOR NOT WARNING ME OF THIS!" Ha, ha. Looks like somebody never read the fine print. Once again, Verizon=not dictatorship. We don't tell you what to do. It's ok, though. I could use a good laugh, so I'll let you yell it out from the mountain tops about pretty much what I've heard billions of times before...have at it hoss.

" This is crap! How come my Mac OS 9.x works just fine, but my Mac OS X won't even load some of my programs correctly! What the hell is the problem. They're both on the same cpu! They should work just as fine damn it! To be honest, I think it's Verizon. Ever since I got you guy's services, my OSX program has been acting funky. What did you guys do to it, damn it!"...(le sigh) That's right sir. We did it. In our spare time, we like to wear long leather boots, march to the sound of a mad man crying fascism to our supreme race, wear small mustaches, and helmets with little spikes sticking out at the top. Did I mention we don't support issues caused by Jews....sir, you are an ass. Oh, and I most definitely can't support this issue. Good luck and happy camping on resolving it, though. Toodles!

So yeah, this whole argument should be less focused on figuring out which OS is better, and more focused on figuring out how to cure the oh so subtle disease of " Stupid." It's contagious...( I hate my job...)
my back hurts...

Offline Colonel Mustard

• View Profile

Reply #339 on: April 23, 2007, 04:17:19 pm
I'm using (Or was, my desktop computer died recently, possibly the psu, anyhow) WinXP on my desk comp, OS X on my laptop and Ubuntu on my server, and can't honestly say I prefer one over another in general. Sure, when it comes to doing certain things I might pick one of them, but as a general desktop comp, I don't see any reason to use one over another, because there's always some quirks in an OS that another does better, but it's just a circle jerk.

For me the important thing is rather that they all can work together, network shares, remote desktop, etc, and that works just dandy from what I've noticed.

Though, if I were to choose an OS to use on a laptop, I would choose OS X, if I have mac hardware that is, because expose and the touchpad scroll features rock (I know Windows have similar things, but from what I've noticed, those third party products aren't nearly as good as the ones that are in OS X, no fanboyism)

And for server, I haven't tried using OSX, but from sad experiences, I find myself more comfortable using linux distros for servers rather than windows.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2007, 04:19:02 pm by Colonel Mustard »