AuthorTopic: Official Off-Topic Thread  (Read 244098 times)

Offline Faktablad

• grow
    • View Profile
    • Couchpixel

Re: Official Off-Topic Thread

Reply #280 on: April 18, 2007, 01:47:12 am
Studies in fact show that people react with stronger emotions to small-scale deaths than to huge numbers of deaths.

Offline Akira

• Heheheh
    • View Profile

Reply #281 on: April 18, 2007, 02:05:00 am
What are our stupid arms laws again? the NRA would never let the government disallow guns in the country, and even if we removed the legal sale of guns, that is only going to stop honest gun owners from getting them. A majority of the times guns used in this sort of situation are stolen. (yet it appears this kid actually bought his fair 'n square.)
You can't steal guns if nobody has guns to steal :-X and personally as an 'honest' gun owner i don't see the need for pistols or automatic rifles. they should be restricted. and so should the number of guns. '1 gun per month' doesn't count as restricting the number of guns.
thanks Dogmeat!

Offline Stwelin

• View Profile

Reply #282 on: April 18, 2007, 02:27:13 am
What are our stupid arms laws again? the NRA would never let the government disallow guns in the country, and even if we removed the legal sale of guns, that is only going to stop honest gun owners from getting them. A majority of the times guns used in this sort of situation are stolen. (yet it appears this kid actually bought his fair 'n square.)
You can't steal guns if nobody has guns to steal :-X and personally as an 'honest' gun owner i don't see the need for pistols or automatic rifles. they should be restricted. and so should the number of guns. '1 gun per month' doesn't count as restricting the number of guns.

What happened with prohibition? All the alcohol destroyed, no sales were legal, and yet there were still bootleggers and speakeasies. Although guns are harder to produce or bring in from outside the country, it would still happen.

Offline Xion

• View Profile
    • FourbitFriday

Reply #283 on: April 18, 2007, 02:30:31 am
Yeah, Stwelin beat me to it. Those illegal drugs? People get them. There's already an illegal weapons trade going on. A gun ban would only give those people more money in their pockets and more business through their fingers.

Offline Rydin

• ...zzzt...
    • @thickDumps
    • View Profile
    • thickDumps

Reply #284 on: April 18, 2007, 04:55:40 am
Victims are always victims twice in the media.
Man cannot remake himself without suffering for he is both the marble and the sculptor.

Offline Akira

• Heheheh
    • View Profile

Reply #285 on: April 18, 2007, 06:29:32 am
Yeah i realised i was doing a bit of wishful thinking. but if this guy was unable to buy guns legally, i wonder if he'd still have seeked them illegally.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_school_massacres <- be alarmed at the number of times america appears on that list compared with other countries.
thanks Dogmeat!

Offline Mixel

• View Profile

Reply #286 on: April 18, 2007, 06:55:25 am
There may be no solution for the US gun issues, its not like a switch could be flipped, as the culture is gunnish already. :(

More gun control/less availability *would* decrease gun crime. But it would no way stop this sort of stuff from happening completely. I think saving some lives is important.. Saying there's no point curbing it because it won't stop them completely is a bit weird. Every little counts when it comes to people dying, I would've thought.

At least having a full ban on automatic weapons, some types of handguns, makes sense to me.. What possible argument is there for needing automatics? especially sub-machine guns etc..
hypothetically; If I want to kill people and the only weapon to hand isn't a gun - I'll likely use something else.. Said "other" weapon would be  likely less insta-kill and easy to kill many people in a short period. .. Surely getting them out of shops and 'the average house' couldn't actually do any harm.. (?)

I doubt the average angry teen in a 'normal' school has access to seedy underworld stuff so i think it's odd to assume they'd all have access to guns if there was no legal trade..
« Last Edit: April 18, 2007, 10:16:10 am by Mixel »

Offline Sherman Gill

• View Profile

Reply #287 on: April 18, 2007, 09:08:13 am
I oppose the banning of any type of guns for the very simple reason that one of the intentions of that part of the constitution is so that rebels would always have a good supply of weaponry for overthrowing the government if it becomes too corrupt.
Oh yes naked women are beautiful
But I like shrimps more haha ;)

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #288 on: April 18, 2007, 01:01:13 pm
What happened with prohibition? All the alcohol destroyed, no sales were legal, and yet there were still bootleggers and speakeasies. Although guns are harder to produce or bring in from outside the country, it would still happen.

I'd like to let it be known that in other countries the ways a honest citizen goes about buying a gun are more complicated and the screening process much more rigorious. A gun permit means something in -most parts of- greece, for example. But we have Crete where the Cretans when they come into Greece had as one of their clauses that they retain their rights to carry arms, and they do. They're a relatively small island, and accidents with gunplay happen so so so much more there than in any other part of greece.

But this mass killing isn't an accident. It's the result of a gun-bred culture like the US one. It's not a matter of taking the guns from their owners anymore, I think. A culture of fear and a culture of ignorance  and a culture of violence make a very explosive mix.

Offline big brother

• herculeanpixel.com
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio Site

Reply #289 on: April 18, 2007, 02:32:29 pm
I don't think it's necessarily an American thing, or even a gun-related thing. There are crazies everywhere.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Osaka_school_massacre

It's sad that the Vtech students were not allowed the means to defend themselves, and the police waited behind their cars until the shooter killed himself.