AuthorTopic: Official Off-Topic Thread  (Read 244108 times)

Offline Evil-Ville

• :))))))))))):
    • View Profile

Re: Official Off-Topic Thread

Reply #240 on: April 11, 2007, 08:37:50 pm
Here's mine: http://img250.imageshack.us/img250/8237/desktopkw8.png

I like having a few icons. They are what all that empty space on the screen is supposed to be used for after all.

Offline AdamAtomic

• natural born medic
    • View Profile
    • Adam Atomic

Reply #241 on: April 11, 2007, 09:00:51 pm
I wanted to give an update on the Great BREW Experiment.  We (we = my company = me and my buddy jim) decided that a good first in-house commercial project would be a BREW game, targeting the high-end 3D/EVDO phones, like verizon's VCAST handsets, Amp'd network's multimedia phone, and now we're thinking about this new Helio phone (through our friends at Requiem, hopefully they get that gig, cross your fingers!).  It's been a really interesting project so far, I'm just taking a break from a marathon coding session so I thought I'd bang out my thoughts and ideas.  If anyone has more experience with this stuff (I started the project monday morning) feel free to chip in with your thoughts/ideas.

EDIT - i should say that the main reason we're pursuing 3d is phone operators LOVE it.  they want it in their pants right now.  And we're basically an unknown company, so any edge we can get we will take!  I'm not opposed to putting some eye candy in there for sales reasons as long as the base game is solid.

Ok.  So the goal of this project is to create a game (hopefully even "games" plural) that uses the phone's limited input and 3D visuals in a way that really suits these new phones, i.e. has good framerates!  I don't know if you guys have played many of these 3d mobile games, but they are very choppy and clunky compared to their "real" game console counterparts.  They're certainly playable, and some of them look very nice, but the choppiness just drives me nuts, especially for games when reflexes really count.

Research and coding experiments over the last few days have led me to the following conclusions:

1 - These phones, while apparently very powerful, have very specific limitations that can guide your game development rather than hamper it.  Specifically, the majority of them can only use fixed point arithmetic, and as such they use OpenGL ES 1.0, which has some fairly strict limitations of its own.  None of these things are dead ends, but they do preclude certain types of games from being really high performance; specifically, third- and first-person shooter games in the traditional console/PC vein.  Basically, anything that requires a VERY dynamic, player-controlled camera and arbitrary occlusion (meaning it has to figure out on the fly what crap to draw, and what to skip) is IMO a bad idea on these systems.  That's not to say the camera can't move, but if it moves predictably then you have a LOT more control over exactly what ends up on your screen.

2 - Why is that?  Well, OpenGL ES is heavily optimized for vertex arrays.  Meaning, big lists of crap to draw all at once.  If you have to monkey with these lists every single frame, you are wasting a lot of CPU time that could otherwise be used to get framerates ABOVE 10fps.

3 - So what does "predictable camera movement" mean?  It means that you can make some friggin sweet games, you just have to plan a little more carefully.  If you're going to make a 3d shooter, consider having a fixed perspective.  It can vary from area to area, and it can shift and move within the area, but the important thing is to some extent you control what the camera sees and when.  This will let you update your vertex arrays at discrete times, instead of every dang frame.  Obvious candidates are overhead adventure/exploration games, racers, rail shooters, and shmups, but the limited input can really hamper the shooters and shmups unless you are careful to take that into account.  Metal Slug has no place on cell phones, not until they get better key layouts and allow simultaneous key presses.  Other genres can be easily adapted though - e.g. the camera style used in the original Silent Hill and Resident Evil games (or mayb emore accurately Dino Crisis) would work GREAT on a cell phone, whereas the camera from say Resident Evil 4 would be a very, very bad choice (from a programmer's standpoint anyways).

4 - Cheat like crazy on your AI, and choose game types that don't require massively intelligent enemies.  These phones appear to have fairly reliable and accurate timers, so you can good feedback and interactions, you just don't want to sit in a big fat branching logic tree when you could be dumping an extra frame to the screen.

Ok that's all that's on my mind right now.  If anybody has a BREW simulator set up already for 3D work let me know and I'll post a VERY rough demo of our game later this week!
« Last Edit: April 11, 2007, 09:04:07 pm by AdamAtomic »

Offline Stwelin

• View Profile

Reply #242 on: April 11, 2007, 09:10:06 pm
I have to say that I really like you're desk Stewlin. The background is very nice and subtle and you seem to "hate" those icons as much as I do.

I always have a bunch of windows maximized, so what's the use? My hotkeys are quicker than minimizing everything to get to the desktop. :P

also, post your desktop desktops
« Last Edit: April 11, 2007, 09:13:59 pm by Stwelin »

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #243 on: April 11, 2007, 10:22:57 pm

palace of the grand conjuring

Offline Feron

• Carpe Diem
    • View Profile
    • Pixelheart

Reply #244 on: April 12, 2007, 12:12:30 am
i think helm is secretly a miniature spartan warrior who wields knives as relativily big swords.

Plus with this evidence:

And this quote:

I'm 1.80 cm tall and somewhat thin. I draw comics and play guitars.

it all makes sense now...
« Last Edit: April 12, 2007, 12:17:10 am by Feron »

Offline Darien

• ...nine...ten...draw!
    • View Profile

Reply #245 on: April 12, 2007, 04:54:24 am
So, Vonnegut died.

84 years old.

Offline ndchristie

• View Profile

Reply #246 on: April 12, 2007, 12:25:24 pm
that bummed me out, i found out when i got to school......
A mistake is a mistake.
The same mistake twice is a bad habit.
The same mistake three or more times is a motif.

Offline Stwelin

• View Profile

Reply #247 on: April 13, 2007, 03:37:46 am
I need to find someone who can read Japanese so i can figure out why my Sega Saturn emulator won't run my copy of Soukygurentai. ._.

Offline AdamAtomic

• natural born medic
    • View Profile
    • Adam Atomic

Reply #248 on: April 13, 2007, 05:30:39 am
i went rock climbing at some cliffs near my house today for the first time ever.  it was INTENSE.  Hanging upside from your fingertips 35 feet in the air while you mantle an overhang is a serious rush.  Even if you only do it once in your life, it will leave a lasting impression!

Offline Stwelin

• View Profile

Reply #249 on: April 13, 2007, 05:32:42 am
i went rock climbing at some cliffs near my house today for the first time ever.  it was INTENSE.  Hanging upside from your fingertips 35 feet in the air while you mantle an overhang is a serious rush.  Even if you only do it once in your life, it will leave a lasting impression!

I went rockclimbing once. It really is fun, my favourite part is repelling.