AuthorTopic: Official Off-Topic Thread  (Read 243959 times)

Offline AdamAtomic

• natural born medic
    • View Profile
    • Adam Atomic

Re: Official Off-Topic Thread

Reply #210 on: April 05, 2007, 02:23:56 am
that's because...name another famous, classical artist who wasn't a man :)  granted my art history education is not the finest, but I can't think of any...ironic because the 2 art blogs i check the most are both by women, and mirre is going head to head with snake :P

Offline zeid

• View Profile
    • Pixel Class

Reply #211 on: April 05, 2007, 02:30:58 am
from my understanding she was also a great dodgeball player
View my Devlog... unless you aren't ready to have your mind blown.

Offline Stwelin

• View Profile

Reply #212 on: April 05, 2007, 02:35:04 am
that's because...name another famous, classical artist who wasn't a man :)  granted my art history education is not the finest, but I can't think of any...ironic because the 2 art blogs i check the most are both by women, and mirre is going head to head with snake :P

Georgia O'Keeffe is the only other mentionable artist i can think of...

Offline Rerg1

• View Profile

Reply #213 on: April 06, 2007, 11:36:18 am
I know alot of turkish people with a uni brow.
My friend has one, I tease him about it sometimes but it doesnt look "in my terms" abnormal.

Offline snake

• View Profile

Reply #214 on: April 06, 2007, 11:52:13 pm

Not looking in my artbooks, Artemisia Gentileschi commes to mind. Italian painter who worked at a time when you wouldn't expect females to be excepted as artists. (1600s according to the net.) Given that my artschool was more or less exclusively run by women, about half a year was used to go through "female art history" so I've had my share of non-male painters.

I feel Frida is, or was mostly popular for being eccentric and making eccentric artwork. She was interesting, and got attention accordingly, much like Salvador Dali. That's not to say she didn't have great art, but being well known is not the same as being talented. Then again, I would rather have a teacher worshiping Frida than the people mine have. I's an odd feeling when your teacher goes through a praise-speech for the woman who destroyed her face through surgery and gained weight to photograph herself naked to demonstrate against female oppression. (brave, but not my type of hero)

In short, Frida's unibrow is lord.

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #215 on: April 07, 2007, 08:52:08 am
She was interesting, and got attention accordingly, much like Salvador Dali.

Dali was a con man, but at least his technical skills as a painter were top-notch. Frida wasn't insincere as Dali, but her painting skill was mediocre at best in my opinion. I don't see much in common between the two. Most painters (/painters' lives) are 'interesting' regardless of how they twirl their mustaches/unibrows, really.

Offline snake

• View Profile

Reply #216 on: April 07, 2007, 01:49:00 pm
Their common aspect (imo) was that both their art and personality created publicity. Painters in general are perceived to be more "out there" than most, but few get that level of public attention. Even if I can't know for sure, I don't think Frida nor Salvador would be remembered to the same degree if they weren't as "extreme" in both areas. This could be said about a number of artists. Van Gogh for example.

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #217 on: April 07, 2007, 02:17:06 pm
Yeah I see what you say. I dunno however, my historical perception isn't keen enough to be able to gauge how well-known Frida's art, or her life are, as opposed to Dali who is still a super-star, after his death.

Offline ptoing

• variegated quadrangle arranger
    • the_ptoing
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/2191.htm
    • View Profile
    • Perpetually inactive website

Reply #218 on: April 09, 2007, 01:07:14 am
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W91sqAs-_-g BAHAHAHAHAH, so awesome. Alanis FTW!
There are no ugly colours, only ugly combinations of colours.

Offline Faktablad

• grow
    • View Profile
    • Couchpixel

Reply #219 on: April 09, 2007, 01:26:44 am
I'd just like to know, who else here has a uni-brow? I used to swear I'd never shave mine, but today I have. It feels so strange putting shaving foam on your eyebrows. But at least I now look less evil. :y:
You do know that shaving makes it grow in thicker, right?