AuthorTopic: Official Off-Topic Thread  (Read 243946 times)

Offline robalan

• View Profile

Re: Official Off-Topic Thread

Reply #270 on: April 17, 2007, 04:35:42 am
Yeah, I'm finding it quick to pick up; I just have very little time these next few weeks.  Ah, well.
Always remember: a preposition is not something you should end a sentence with.

Offline The B.O.B.

• currently losering it up...
    • View Profile

Reply #271 on: April 17, 2007, 06:54:11 pm
Wow I seem to be a very lonely member, here at the moment. Just me, and Goat. I know ole' Pixelation is having some technical difficulties at the moment,  but am I even allowed to be logged in right now?

***edit***

disregard this post...
« Last Edit: April 17, 2007, 09:09:06 pm by The B.O.B. »
my back hurts...

Offline fil_razorback

• Captain of a ship without a name
    • View Profile
    • Partisan - Tactics Battles

Reply #272 on: April 17, 2007, 08:07:51 pm
Nah, I'm here too ;D

Offline Feron

• Carpe Diem
    • View Profile
    • Pixelheart

Reply #273 on: April 17, 2007, 09:20:19 pm
That Virginia massacre is just terrible, but there making such a big deal out of it.  People die all the time in iraq and africa for not much of a reason, and yet here 30 people die as a product of America's stupid laws on arms and the whole world has to here about it.

Yeah massacre is sick and unneccesary but so are many other things, i don't see why theres so much publification of it.

Offline Lawrence

• View Profile

Reply #274 on: April 17, 2007, 09:42:04 pm
Feron, It's because it's so unusual and comparatively unexpected, hence more people are interested.

And I disagree with you when you say that Africans die for "not much of a reason". There are reasons. One of the biggest is the malevolently rapacious way in which most of Africa is governed.

Offline Xion

• View Profile
    • FourbitFriday

Reply #275 on: April 17, 2007, 10:56:13 pm
It's recieving so much attention because it
1) Was a fucking terrible tragedy
2) Occured in a place that is normally considered safe
3) Happened in that place with unprecedented swiftness and devastation.

People die in ghettos. It's expected. People die in wars. It's expected. People die in school. Uh... People die by the dozens in a single concentrated "safe" area by the hand of one man. It's hard not to take notice.

With that said, yes, it was a big deal. A bigass fucking deal.

And I disagree with you when you say that Africans die for "not much of a reason". There are reasons. One of the biggest is the malevolently rapacious way in which most of Africa is governed.
Yes.

Offline khorin

• I ruled the forces that fueled your hate.
    • View Profile
    • Shizucor

Reply #276 on: April 18, 2007, 12:21:16 am
It happened in a place least expected. </reiterate>

I've been reading on this, it seems there have been many flags that this guy has raised (ie personality, playwrites, etc) but everyone just seemed to have shrugged it off. edit: There are exceptions, though. One the professors, I believe, actually referred him to the counselors. Not that it's important to me, I'd really like to know what drove him to do this...
« Last Edit: April 18, 2007, 12:33:56 am by khorin »

Offline Akira

• Heheheh
    • View Profile

Reply #277 on: April 18, 2007, 12:53:10 am
There are a lot of people who raise those same flags and never gun anyone down though. if we start assuming that everyone with those personality traits will gun every body down we'll just live in fear. I know some people who have been referred to counselors, some of the same people like to write some pretty heavy poetry, that doesn't mean they want to act upon what they write, it's a creative outlet.
it's sort of the same generalization people have made with computer games. kids play computer games -> some kids who played computer games commited mass murder -> all violent games train kids to commit mass murder.

according to some media outlets it was a failed romance (coupled with a lot of other shit i expect). I say we ban people from being romantic so this won't happen again.

gun control needs to be tightened x100000
thanks Dogmeat!

Offline Stwelin

• View Profile

Reply #278 on: April 18, 2007, 01:08:30 am
That Virginia massacre is just terrible, but there making such a big deal out of it.  People die all the time in iraq and africa for not much of a reason, and yet here 30 people die as a product of America's stupid laws on arms and the whole world has to here about it.

Yeah massacre is sick and unneccesary but so are many other things, i don't see why theres so much publification of it.

What are our stupid arms laws again? the NRA would never let the government disallow guns in the country, and even if we removed the legal sale of guns, that is only going to stop honest gun owners from getting them. A majority of the times guns used in this sort of situation are stolen. (yet it appears this kid actually bought his fair 'n square.)

Offline The B.O.B.

• currently losering it up...
    • View Profile

Reply #279 on: April 18, 2007, 01:25:17 am
   Call me pessimistic, but I really, REALLY hope that some Hollywood, A-hole, jerk producer/writer WON'T try and  make a movie about this event. People that capitalize on tragic events, for their own success just irk me in the wrongest of ways. Yes, this is a tragic event, but honestly, I don't believe current tragedies like this should be glorified on film, like Columbine, and 9/11. Just....don't.
my back hurts...