AuthorTopic: a new, better wiimote flash api in just 24 hours!  (Read 12055 times)

Offline AdamAtomic

• natural born medic
    • View Profile
    • Adam Atomic

Re: a new, better wiimote flash api in just 24 hours!

Reply #10 on: April 09, 2007, 06:18:43 pm
Soup - there's no keyboard binding for the 'b' button in this demo.  You would add it the way the 'a' button is added. The default bindings are for classic play.

Stwelin - yeah, flash 8 added some blitting support that actually makes it much more friendly, unfortunately the wii only supports flash7.  Which means, in a nutshell, no tilemapping.  At all.  It's a bitch!  I'm working on a new game idea right now that will hopefully be a little more possible than my fleas game...

Snake - shmups, as long as their backgrounds aren't too fancy, are one of the few genres that actually DO work in flash.  If you get a decent amount of art together let me know!

Offline Stwelin

• View Profile

Reply #11 on: April 09, 2007, 06:29:29 pm
Yeah, dot-invasion's Meteor Buster is actually a really nice shmup. made in flash! you wouldn't be able to tell, it plays more like an actuall app. than a flash game. very fun too.

Offline Feron

• Carpe Diem
    • View Profile
    • Pixelheart

Reply #12 on: April 09, 2007, 10:59:26 pm
hmmmm that's weird...i'm using the flash symbol Key.CONTROL for that, i have no idea why that wouldn't be working correctly, I am kind of a newb to flash!  any mac Flash experts out there have any insight?  also collabs are always interesting to me :D  PM or IM me your thoughts!

on mac the ctrl key is replaced by the command key.  the other buttons works fine for me - maybe it neds to be mentioned that is your using mac its the apple/command key instead.

Offline AdamAtomic

• natural born medic
    • View Profile
    • Adam Atomic

Reply #13 on: April 09, 2007, 11:22:25 pm
i think kenta cho's new weird shmup runs in flash too...also thanks for the update feron I will include that next time i change the documentation or website!

Offline willfaulds

• View Profile

Reply #14 on: April 14, 2007, 01:32:17 pm
i think http://www.strille.net/works/misc/platform_demo/ is a very good example of what flash can do in the rights hands

Offline RobHine

• View Profile

Reply #15 on: July 29, 2007, 01:25:21 am
Hi guys, sorry to reply here but I wish to ask a question about this api and couldn't find any forums on AdamAtomics website, is this possible to integrate using just the open source tools or would I need to have flash mx installed for the event dispatcher, i am very interested in creating flash games using the wii remote and learning from the tutorials on this website, but I don't really know how to start with just these tools. Thankyou for your patience.

ps If this is the wrong place to talk about this i appologise, i couldn't find any threads other than this one about this api.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2007, 01:26:54 am by RobHine »

Offline AdamAtomic

• natural born medic
    • View Profile
    • Adam Atomic

Reply #16 on: August 03, 2007, 10:12:16 pm
Ok, with Rob's help comes beta version 1.3:

http://www.lastchancemedia.com/mariotoo/

Cool new features include .fla files in the developer's download, support for up to 4 wiimotes, and a variety of safety/bug fixes!

Offline mikedoty

• View Profile

Reply #17 on: August 06, 2007, 03:15:21 am
I logged in just so I could mention how poorly documented I find this enterprise.  I've spent too much time in the last couple of days trying to get this thing to work.  The example code in this post, while incomplete, helps me; why isn't it anywhere to be found in the downloads or on its official website?  :?

It looks like it would work great if I could figure out how to implement it in the first place.

Offline AdamAtomic

• natural born medic
    • View Profile
    • Adam Atomic

Reply #18 on: August 06, 2007, 05:14:29 am
Heh.  Didn't know it was an enterprise!  And yes, it is poorly documented.  However, the example code featured at the top of this thread is included in the download, in com/LCM/mariotoo/FlashMX/MarioToo_Demo.as, which is part of the mariotoo.fla project file.  Beginner-level knowledge of com paths and either the flash open source software OR the proper flash IDE is definitely recommended if you wish to continue pursuing the use of this API.

Future releases may be better documented, but it is unlikely!

EDIT - Yeah all the source files that you would need are available in both the developer and non-developer downloads for b1.3...the only thing I can think of is that you didn't edit the com path for the mariotoo.fla.  If you go into Publish Settings, Actionscript Tab, and click on Actionscript Settings, just set the com path to wherever you unzipped these files to (e.g. C:\Downloads\WiiMoteCrap\), and it should compile and run just fine, and you can dig through the source to see how everything works.  Best of luck!
« Last Edit: August 06, 2007, 05:17:53 am by AdamAtomic »

Offline RobHine

• View Profile

Reply #19 on: August 06, 2007, 10:42:11 am
First thing we'll need to know is if you are going down the Flash MX route or via Open Source software, then we may be able to help, The library, while working is still in beta as stated on the site, which basically means there is more to do before it is finished, i.e we have not written proper docs for it as the api is evolving regularly, and maintaining these while we are still adding new features would take away time from programming the library, and with 3 possible development environments there would need to be a lot of writing done to ensure anybody can pick up the library and put it together a game.

Having said that I think the source is fairly easy to understand once you understand the com tree, the wiibounce swfs all come ready built and all you realisticly need worry about is looking at the mariotoo demo and modify the html in the root directory to use the name of your app, the demo honestly has all you need to get going with developing a game.

In light of your comments however I will try and put together a small tutorial on using MTASC and SWFMill to create a basic application the free way, if Adam can host it. I have no access to the Flash IDE so I can't help there.

Good luck.

Rob.