AuthorTopic: Trenchcoat, tie, sandals and gun  (Read 9062 times)

Offline Omenith

• View Profile
    • Portfolio

Trenchcoat, tie, sandals and gun

on: April 01, 2007, 08:03:23 pm

Just made this guy this afternoon to use as my animation practice (which I will update on this thread!). It was a quick process; just blobbed out his form in black then added colors.

I settled with 24 colors, let me know what you think. Feedback on the feet, hands and color usage would be greatly appreciated!
« Last Edit: April 01, 2007, 08:05:07 pm by Omenith »

Offline philipptr

• View Profile

Re: Trenchcoat, tie, sandals and gun

Reply #1 on: April 01, 2007, 08:13:27 pm
nice work, I really like those colors. Im looking foreward seeing this animated. what looks a bit strange is the right leg (our right). I think it could use some selout. but maybe you want to first animate then do the fine-work..
« Last Edit: April 01, 2007, 08:15:40 pm by philipptr »

Offline Omenith

• View Profile
    • Portfolio

Reply #2 on: April 02, 2007, 08:49:20 pm
Thanks Philip, I added some selout to that area.

Heres the idle animation which I'm not too happy with mostly because I couldn't come up with a better idea and the lower torso doesn't move as much as I want it to...

And heres something more exciting, unsheathing of the gun!

Any CC would be appreciated. More to come! I want to do some uhh shooting and twisting next...

Offline Joseph

• Shut up and pixel.
    • View Profile

Reply #3 on: April 03, 2007, 12:01:39 am
very cool but extreme breathing and giant air flow when pulling out his gun seems very unrealistic as the sprite itself does not.

good luck.

Offline Turbo

• less than meets the eye
    • View Profile
    • Pixeljoint TurboAccount

Reply #4 on: April 03, 2007, 12:18:29 am
Interesting and challenging stuff you're trying to do here. Good luck with that! :)

The sprite looks nice, good palette, design and readibility. The forearm on the left is too long though. The hand looks strangely bent, maybe direct it forward instead of down.

The breathing anim is too fast and exagerated, and the rubber bending arm looks weird. I'd suggest making the breathing more subtle, using the colors to suggest subpixel movement.

On the weapon draw, you're trying to show a complex movement too quickly, skipping inbetween stages. You should be showing:

1. Hand reaches back, moves coat out of the way (maybe a slight coat grab and tug to throw the fabric back) to gain access to something on the back
2. Hand reaches behind back, inside coat
3. Slight struggle to remove (such a huge) gun from pants
4. Large arm movement (elbow making a large arc, whole body twists to the right/down to make way for the passing gun) to make the gun not hit neither the coat nor the leg.
5. Aim forward, other arm reaches the gun

The coat throw is too exagerated, making it look weightless, the coat shouldn't fly at light speed through the air.

Offline Icedemon

• View Profile
    • Viceroy Studios

Reply #5 on: April 03, 2007, 01:03:15 am
when he throws the coat, it becomes kinda static... great work though!
A Viceroy forerunner...

Viceroy studios is a community based freeware gaming enterprise dedicated to making freeware games. Basically, we make free games, and everyone helps out.
 Check the link:  www.freewebs.com/viceroystudios  word.

Offline Wakka

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: April 03, 2007, 01:28:28 am
Actually, if he were to fire that SMG pointing like that, he would hit his head with the recoil. It isn't a pistol, so it would me more realistic if he held it a bit closer to his torso.

Offline Souly

• Killer of threads.
    • View Profile
    • Punkys Portfolio

Reply #7 on: April 03, 2007, 01:09:59 pm
At the end of the animation the cape goes way too straight.

Offline Omenith

• View Profile
    • Portfolio

Reply #8 on: April 03, 2007, 07:42:58 pm
Joseph: When it comes to art, nature or "real-life" is always just a guide. I know, it was kind of misleading for me to make a realistic sprite then make extremely exaggerated animations but this was the point!  :lol:

Turbo: Its alittle too late for me to fix the original design at this point, hopefully the animations will clear up some of it. You can always make up form with movement. Also, skipping inbetween stages happen all the time in animation. The purpose of doing this is to avoid unnecessary actions and useless frames.. dragging things along just for the sake of compliance is always too tedious and often takes away from the focus of the action. I agree that the coat flies alittle too fast but the more force you apply to something the faster it will go, right? I tried to add more weight to the coat with extra frames in my new edit.

Wakka: I thought making him bring out a SMG would be more expressive toward his character (you can tell from his clothes that he is abit eccentric). He will only fire single rounds from this position; burst fire will be in another position holding the gun closer to the torso. The strength of an individual can also hamper recoil  :P.

Icedemon: Hopefully the revision will have addressed some of the static issues.

Souly: Added 2 frames to alleviate this.

Thanks for all the comments.

Here I tried to fix the rubber arm and added some movement to the lower coat and hand. I know it is still over the top with the breaths but I'm gonna stick with it.

Added 2 more frames to address the weight of the coat. Also seperates the coat animation from the swinging of the gun; this should make each action more distinct.

Just a semi-automatic single round shot...

Offline InvaderLupus

• View Profile

Reply #9 on: April 03, 2007, 07:54:28 pm
His legs really need to show some movement in that idle animation. It's so weird to see his upper body moving so much and his lower body completely stationary.