AuthorTopic: Mock ups are all the rage!  (Read 4850 times)

Offline Grindie

• View Profile
    • Perfect Run

Mock ups are all the rage!

on: March 31, 2007, 11:29:19 am

Except this isn't a mock up. This will be an actual game.

The wings on those flying things are piss.

EDIT:

« Last Edit: March 31, 2007, 01:20:17 pm by Grindie »

Offline Faceless

• View Profile

Re: Mock ups are all the rage!

Reply #1 on: March 31, 2007, 11:34:42 am
If it's not a screenshot, then it's a mockup. No buts about it.
As for crits, the hero and enemies blend into the background too much.

Offline Grindie

• View Profile
    • Perfect Run

Reply #2 on: March 31, 2007, 01:20:44 pm
How 'bout now? Just lightened up the darkest shade in the background.

Offline kakikukeko

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: March 31, 2007, 02:03:17 pm
Your BG with the stars is way too contrasted and too dark too IMO.. the darkest grey of the building seems pretty strange.
Also I don't think this much glow around the stars is necessary. (by itself it's pretty though, but as part of the whole picture...)
The wings have the same look as the broken windows (and nearly the same color..)

Offline Lawrence

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: March 31, 2007, 11:13:04 pm
I'm actually in love with the ultra glow you've given to the stars. How about illuminating the fence and pavement next to the lamp post? The existence of raw line art near the edge of the ground's cross section makes it seem a bit unfinished to me. In fact, I'd do something to distinguish that entire perpendicular cross section plane, perhaps by making it darker. There's a lack of continuity in the shading of the sprites because the enemies look like they have an upward light source but the protagonist's head is lit with lighting to the front of him.

Offline philipptr

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: March 31, 2007, 11:22:57 pm
I think it looks a bit rushed or unfinished. I think when you just work over some areas a bit again this could look a lot better.
For example when changing the palette a bit you could use the darkest shade that you used for the street-stones for the brown stones under them.
Here's a very small edit that shows this, and some other very minor quick changes:

Offline Grindie

• View Profile
    • Perfect Run

Reply #6 on: April 01, 2007, 01:07:53 am
I think it looks a bit rushed or unfinished. I think when you just work over some areas a bit again this could look a lot better.
For example when changing the palette a bit you could use the darkest shade that you used for the street-stones for the brown stones under them.
Here's a very small edit that shows this, and some other very minor quick changes:

I think that looks mighty nice, but I don't think that everything needs to be crosshatched to hell. I'm going for simple cartoony look.

Offline Overkill

• View Profile
    • i make video games

Reply #7 on: April 01, 2007, 07:32:05 am
I was just screwing around with the palette on this for fun.

I'm not entirely sure these changes are all agreeable ones, but I think my edit shows the colors could stand to be more vibrant, especially if you're aiming for a cartoony feel as you claim. Gradual hue shifting and increasing saturation seems to help a bit.

Offline kakikukeko

• View Profile

Reply #8 on: April 01, 2007, 08:22:21 am
here is an attempt to explain what I meant about the relation BG /FG..

( I removed one color in the glow that I used for making 1 more kind of stars... I didn't add any color)
mainly I decontrasted the BG and contrasted the FG..
I may be wrong.. :P

(Is it me or all the icons of the board have been JPGized for 1st of April?  ;) )
Nice touch Overkill!

Offline Grindie

• View Profile
    • Perfect Run

Reply #9 on: April 01, 2007, 11:42:25 am
Kakikukeko, that sure is pretty! Thanks for the tips. Everything's looking hawt! I love the wings too.

Is that a city in the background? The reason I didn't do that myself is 'cause this part of the level is set on floating asteroids in space.