AuthorTopic: Alas, the legendary pogo stick!  (Read 2976 times)

Offline HMC

• View Profile

Alas, the legendary pogo stick!

on: March 28, 2007, 12:29:13 am
Old: New:

16 colors. EGA palette. Any suggestions/criticisms? I'm not liking that window. I want to do something with the background and have it dark, but I don't want it to be distracting.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2007, 12:23:58 am by HMC »

Offline BDZ

• Bible-thumpin', guitar strummin' forever man
    • View Profile
    • BDZ's Domain

Re: Alas, the legendary pogo stick!

Reply #1 on: March 28, 2007, 03:00:12 am
In that particular commander keen game, there are hanging lamps that cast light downward and make the black background gray in a triangle shape. (Example, the pogo stick shrine, heh: http://www.mobygames.com/game/dos/commander-keen-1-marooned-on-mars/screenshots/gameShotId,2282/) Putting one of those in might look kind of cool.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2007, 03:02:57 am by BDZ »
Don't anthropomorphize computers. They hate that.

Offline HMC

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: March 29, 2007, 12:23:14 am
Yeah, good point.

I decided to turn this piece into a mockup title screen:

Offline Omenith

• View Profile
    • Portfolio

Reply #3 on: March 29, 2007, 02:24:50 am
I decided to turn this piece into a mockup title screen:

Great decision. That just made the piece, the composition is alot more interesting.

I'm not really familiar with the EGA palette so I'll leave those critiques to the experts.

You might want to take a second look at the lighting because the light from the new lamp should hit parts of his leg, shoe and shirt. The dim secondary lightning that you put in for the window isn't sufficient with the change. I'm not sure if you're in for a major change so maybe you could subdue the lamp alittle and move it further into the background or something to that effect.

I really like what you've done with the shading on his left arm; that part sticks out the most for me.