AuthorTopic: Wii Got Fliis - A Wii Flash Game WIP  (Read 10378 times)

Offline AdamAtomic

• natural born medic
    • View Profile
    • Adam Atomic

Wii Got Fliis - A Wii Flash Game WIP

on: March 27, 2007, 11:06:30 pm
I thought I better start a new thread for this, as it is something I'd still like a lot of feedback on, and the feedback I have gotten already is very helpful, but its kind of buried in my other thread.  So!  A new one.

To sum up:  a few weeks ago I registered the URL 'wiigotfliis' on an impulse, thinking it might be fun to make a flash game using the new Flash Wiimote API by Wiicade.  Around the same time I was playing Kirby's Adventure and Kid Icarus on the Wii VC, and Poyo on the PC.  So I got thinking about all the old puzzle platformers that demolished my childhood, like Solomon's Key and Lemmings, and thinking I might like to try and make a little homage to those games.  So I started thinking about this game that would be pretty simple as far as controls go, just a "follow me" toggle button and jump button.  You play a momma flea guiding her crazed baby fleas through a surreal/abstract (and as you will soon see crappy) single screen platform area.  This started to get mixed up with some NES mockup ideas, and well, just generally went south:

Mockup 1:

I was rightly and justly admonished for "phoning it in" and "sucking" (to paraphrase!), so last night I tried a little too hard to make it all retro and NES-y, resulting in Mockup 2:

Looks good compared to mockup 1, but then, anything would!  So, version 3:

Ptoing and Panda finally convinced me that this experiment was a failure, and for that I thank them, because I have a NEW IDEA now!

"Wii Got Fliis" - The New Idea
The new idea is you play a tiny exterminator named Jeffrey, as pictured here:

This game will have a jump button and a "blow" button.  The blow button shoots air out of your gun, pushing things about in a hopefully pleasantly physicsy way.  The goal on each level is to exterminate all the fleas, frequently by using your gun to push them into water, spikes, etc.  There will be various temporary powerups, such as Poison (kill any fleas that your air gun touches) and the Gasmask (allow you to walk through poison before it dissipates).  The plan is for this game's graphics to NOT be crappy and phoned in; I'll post a new environment later today.  Thanks!

EDIT - mini-update before I start working on the environment, jeffrey is on the move...

« Last Edit: March 28, 2007, 01:10:54 am by AdamAtomic »

Offline Alucard

• View Profile

Re: Wii Got Fliis - A Wii Flash Game WIP

Reply #1 on: March 27, 2007, 11:14:46 pm
Finally a truly killer apps for the Wii!

It is interesting enough and I would totally play it on my Wii

Offline AdamAtomic

• natural born medic
    • View Profile
    • Adam Atomic

Reply #2 on: March 28, 2007, 02:36:52 am
the new stuff so far:

very very WIP - most of the stuff in it so far is just there to get promotion's auto-tile to pick out the right stuff!  not sure how to approach the rest but i know i don't want to rely on outlines, or go completely realistic/dithered...

EDIT - yeah there's no plants for the roots yet :P
« Last Edit: March 28, 2007, 02:38:38 am by AdamAtomic »

Offline Grindie

• View Profile
    • Perfect Run

Reply #3 on: March 28, 2007, 03:38:20 am
I love everything I see here. That sprite is excellent! I love the damn anmation!

Offline Faceless

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: March 28, 2007, 03:46:10 am
Without any bounce in his step, the hat flapping on Jeffrey looks bizarre.
I've not got anything to say about the tiles as of yet, other than that I don't think the repeating squares in the grass work.

Offline Cure

• http://pixeljoint.com/p/2621.htm
    • facebook.com/logantannerart
    • View Profile

Reply #5 on: March 28, 2007, 04:03:28 am
That insecticide swashing around in the pack is real nice.  Yeah, I'd definitely keep this simple, undetailed look, its working well.

Offline AdamAtomic

• natural born medic
    • View Profile
    • Adam Atomic

Reply #6 on: March 28, 2007, 05:27:51 am
Faceless - 100% dude, I completely agree.  Here is a redux on the Jeffrey:

OLD vs NEW

I fixed his bounce and hat movement, and I also shaded his back leg darker, let me know if you spot anything else, thanks!

Grindie, Cure - thanks, the environment has a long ways to go though!

EDIT - Minor level update:

EDIT AGAIN - just realized that my stone is a completely different style from the rest of the graphics...
« Last Edit: March 28, 2007, 07:14:03 am by AdamAtomic »

Offline Panda

• 威風堂々
    • View Profile

Reply #7 on: March 28, 2007, 07:55:33 am
I definitely like this approach more.
It is coming nice, though the colors on the tiles aren't my cup of tea.
I hope you kinda break that blocky feeling on the tiles on further updates.
(And since you are more of a dino fan, I guess you could add fossils in the soil.)

Just some random idea, but maybe you could make some multiplayer mode where one plays as the exterminator, and the other one as the fleas (so practically it is a mouse-cat chase). The exterminator having lives + limited weapon usage (so once you run out of either you are screwed), and the fleas losing family members.

Offline snake

• View Profile

Reply #8 on: March 28, 2007, 09:17:47 am
Looks very promising. I take it that it's still designed for Wii controll? If so, maybe you should do a scaled version. By the looks of the app. there is a zoom feature, but it's always better to maximise the potential of fullscreen IMO.

Looking at your consept, I immediately thought of a mix of Mario (the hat and pipes) and his stand-in in Donkey Kong 3: Stanley the Bugman. He used a similar design of using a pump for spraying insects with bugspray.

I like where this is going though. I'm a fan of stylistic approaches to gamedesign, so I don't feel like I need to point at anything just yet. The roots near the opening clashes with the rest though. Just make sure it's consistent and this should be great.

I'll have to take a closer look at that Wii app. Thanks.

Offline Squirrelsquid

• Nuts!?
    • View Profile

Reply #9 on: March 28, 2007, 11:36:07 am
looking good! the new bouncy animation on the main-character looks way better than the first interation. some sort of pattern for the soil would look good in my opinion though. Currently it looks a tad too simple for my taste.