AuthorTopic: faces and long posts.  (Read 7534 times)

Offline Ryumaru

• to be animated soonly
    • ChrisPariano
    • View Profile

faces and long posts.

on: March 27, 2007, 01:13:50 am
29 minutes. msp.
inspired by monsoons contribution to the recorded pixelart thread. seems im not quite there yet :/

comments welcome.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2007, 02:18:14 am by Ryumaru »

Offline Bugguy

• Now animated =~~
    • View Profile

Re: speedpixel.

Reply #1 on: March 27, 2007, 01:19:53 am
Those lips just don't end like normal lips, they look like 2 sausages amounted...  :P
The rest looks good, needs finishing  :)
I'm still a newb around here, please be patient TT__TT

Offline Cow

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: March 27, 2007, 06:01:14 am
The segmentation of the nose is quite odd looking. And you should have probably used an extra shade to smooth out the brightest one. High contrast+dithering is usually not a good combo.

I dare you to sprite something blue. :yay:

Offline Andy Tran

• View Profile
    • The City of Andy Tran

Reply #3 on: March 27, 2007, 06:31:30 am
 Nice! I love the colors! I think it will look good when the whole head is drawn completely out.

Offline Faktablad

• grow
    • View Profile
    • Couchpixel

Reply #4 on: March 27, 2007, 07:56:59 pm
I'm not sure if you were going for anatomical correctness or not.  Even if you weren't, there are definitely some things that look sort of off, even with the exagerration.  Here's an edit, to show what a more anatomical face would look like.

Nose oddly shaded--checked a ref
Nose too big, even for an old man--trimmed it
Lips too sausagey--puckered them a bit
Chin massive--more trimming
Forehead too short--elongated it and shaped out the skull
Eyes too high--brought them down
Perspective issues with the nose (appears to be facing outward)--cleaned that up
Yellow too bright--toned it down a tad, then added white.

I personally wouldn't totally match my edit, since who needs realism?  Still, try to distinguish which anatomical changes were from intention and which were from habit.  ;D :y:

Offline Ryumaru

• to be animated soonly
    • ChrisPariano
    • View Profile

Reply #5 on: March 27, 2007, 08:16:31 pm
thankyou for the edit faktablad. its enought to make me continue the piece when i get the chance.

all anatomical changes were from intention as i havent drawn any faces from my mind to inherit habit of any sort. but some of the things in your edit i find more apealling anyway :]

Offline Faktablad

• grow
    • View Profile
    • Couchpixel

Reply #6 on: March 27, 2007, 10:45:40 pm
Cool.  Glad I could help.  :crazy:

Offline Generic

• View Profile

Reply #7 on: March 28, 2007, 02:52:51 am
Ah I really like how this is looking. I'm not sure if you plan on finishing the rest of the head, or leaving it as it is since it was a speed paint. I hope you continue on with it though because it looks awesome. I actually prefer Ryumaru's original compared to Faktablads (No offense, personal preference). Even though his is more anatomically correct, I like the exaggerated style. Only crit I can give at the moment is aimed at the original if you plan on working on it. The nose seems to be slanting toward our screen instead of pointing out infront of him. Anyway, goodjob.

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #8 on: March 28, 2007, 03:15:18 am
all anatomical changes were from intention as i havent drawn any faces from my mind to inherit habit of any sort.

I'm not sure what this means. Study bone structure, fiber structure and skin on faces, it's one of the lifelong passtimes of artists to draw faces until they get them correct-looking. Break anatomy after you've got a handle on anatomy.

Offline Faceless

• View Profile

Reply #9 on: March 28, 2007, 03:39:27 am
all anatomical changes were from intention as i havent drawn any faces from my mind to inherit habit of any sort.

I'm not sure what this means. Study bone structure, fiber structure and skin on faces, it's one of the lifelong passtimes of artists to draw faces until they get them correct-looking. Break anatomy after you've got a handle on anatomy.

He's saying he intentionally ("from intention") messed around with the anatomy, and that it wasn't a result of bad habbits. He then presented the fact that he doesn't draw faces as evidence that it can't have been a bad habbit that he'd picked up somewhere.

I agree with Helm (are you sure you didn't understand what he said?).
To expand upon what Helm said, it's through doing this sort of thing - before you have a firm foundation - that you develop those bad habbits you claim not to have.
So save yourself some trouble, and don't develop them. :P

Bye.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2007, 04:22:01 am by Faceless »