AuthorTopic: I'd like some feedback on a grass tile.  (Read 5484 times)

Offline ShakaRule

• View Profile

I'd like some feedback on a grass tile.

on: September 07, 2019, 07:09:35 pm
Hello

I'm trying to make some pixel art. Im not an artist, i cant draw at all. But I'd like to learn.
I've got 2 tiles made right now.
32x32:

16x16:

16x16 in a grid(3x3):

32x32 in a grid(3x3):

This is my first ever pixelart. Im open to any feedback :) Especially the bad things :)

Thanks
ShakaRule

Offline Curly

• View Profile

Re: I'd like some feedback on a grass tile.

Reply #1 on: September 08, 2019, 07:15:28 pm
Well the first one is just randomly placed pixels. Try to avoid that.

The second one is way better. There's less noise and you can see some purpose in the placement of the pixels. Still a bit random but there's some meaning.
Look for tilesets from games you like or just google "16x16 grass tile" and you will find lots of references and ideas.

Offline Chonky Pixel

• tequila_ben
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/187855.htm
    • https://www.facebook.com/chonkypixel/?modal=admin_todo_tour
    • View Profile
    • Chonky Pixel

Reply #2 on: September 09, 2019, 11:43:57 am
If you post images at the original size (not scaled up) then we can made edits to demonstrate points. We can also expand them ourselves by clicking on them.

What kind of game are you making these tiles for? What perspective will in have? Seen from directly above? Isometric? Etc. If you want to make great grass tiles, that will have an impact.

Also, is there a style of pixel art you want to go for? Can you provide examples of games that have a similar style?

I agree with Curly's comments, but we can do a lot better.

Offline Mekeninzo

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: September 10, 2019, 12:50:20 pm
I'm pretty terrible at pixel art; however, I have been focusing on the elusive grass tile for months and have finally figured out a passable method of creating them on a 16 x 16 scale. You need 4 different shades of green. Colour the entire 16 x 16 box in the darkest green. use the next brightest green to paint curved lines 1 pixel thick and about 5-8 pixels long. I tend to use a 3 by 2 by 1 method. Make sure non of the lines touch each other and try not to put the bottom of the grass blades in the same line or else it looks funny. Once the lines are drawn, add the brightest green to the tops and the last shade of green (one shade darker than the brightest) below the brightest green on the grass blade.

I attached an example for you to this post. Hope this helps.

Offline ShakaRule

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: September 10, 2019, 01:02:33 pm
Well the first one is just randomly placed pixels. Try to avoid that.

The second one is way better. There's less noise and you can see some purpose in the placement of the pixels. Still a bit random but there's some meaning.
Look for tilesets from games you like or just google "16x16 grass tile" and you will find lots of references and ideas.

If you post images at the original size (not scaled up) then we can made edits to demonstrate points. We can also expand them ourselves by clicking on them.

What kind of game are you making these tiles for? What perspective will in have? Seen from directly above? Isometric? Etc. If you want to make great grass tiles, that will have an impact.

Also, is there a style of pixel art you want to go for? Can you provide examples of games that have a similar style?

I agree with Curly's comments, but we can do a lot better.

Im trying to make a top down rpg, in the style of pokemon(So i guess thats a 45 degree angel) but the graphics are more based on games like stardew valley or harvest moon. I like bright colors like in Pokemon fire red and stardew valley.

Here is the actual 16x16 pngfile:

Im not sure how i can actually give the file. but i uploaded it to imgur here:
https://i.imgur.com/YKFiQXL.png

And yes, the 32x32 is horrible, i first sprayed random, then tried drawing somekind of leaves over it. Ive moved to only trying 16x16 for now. Ive also made that grass tile with some dirt around it. Here:

Also made a naked character running down animtion:

« Last Edit: September 10, 2019, 05:48:15 pm by ShakaRule »

Offline Schwee

• SchweeDubulus
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio

Reply #5 on: September 13, 2019, 10:15:03 pm
Congrats on getting into pixel art and welcome to the forum!

First I can tell you a few things you are doing right:
* For the grass tile, you are sticking to 3 colors
* You are using the different colors to make distinguishing shapes that the eye can read.
* For your character, you are simulating the concept of limbs getting closer and further from the 'camera' by changing their size.
* The head bobble helps keep the sprite feeling like it is really moving.  (Take away that head bobble and watch how suddenly the character looks like some robot or something)
* Nice highlight on baldie's head!

Ok things you can improve on:
* For the grass,  think of shapes you typically see used to draw grass.  They are basically an upside down V that is really skinny and curved, and sometimes blades of grass cover up other blades: https://i.pinimg.com/originals/27/40/54/2740546aae0861a05fa435c6b8316ca5.jpg
I highly suggest googling more images and seeing what the common themes are.

* For the character, the main issue I see here is the difference (or lack of) between shades.  Sometimes when shades are too similar, it looks like it is just muddying up the pixel art.  Take an eye dropper and then take a look at your "value" (the V in HSV) and see how different it is.  I generally consider it a rule of thumb that a shade should have at least a difference of 10 (in a scale of 0 to 100) from the next lightest shade.

* There are a few pixels that are shaded that don't need to be.  Example, the forehead on the character.  The darker pixels make it look like he has a big scar on his head or something.  The problem is that isn't clear enough that it IS a scar and it's just noticeable enough to indicate that it's not just a smooth forehead.

* Similarly to the forehead issue, there are lines where the arms and the torso connect.  You would actually want the lines to be where the heads and torso AREN'T connected.  It almost makes it look like he has backpack straps or something.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2019, 10:20:21 pm by Schwee »
Looking to collaborate.  Hit me up, especially if you are a GM programmer, or if you just have some sweet ideas.

Offline ShakaRule

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: September 16, 2019, 02:46:13 pm
Ive tried working on the grass tiles, No luck :)

Nut i think i made some improvements the the character:

Offline Chonky Pixel

• tequila_ben
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/187855.htm
    • https://www.facebook.com/chonkypixel/?modal=admin_todo_tour
    • View Profile
    • Chonky Pixel

Reply #7 on: September 24, 2019, 01:45:39 pm
Apologies, I've been on holiday for a bit. Do you still need help with grass? :)

Offline ShakaRule

• View Profile

Reply #8 on: September 24, 2019, 01:53:14 pm
Well yeah, i'm still no good, i think its hard to make a 16x16 grass tile with detail.
It might be best to just have a solid color with just a few dots or something. Like the dirt tile