Critique > Pixel Art

I'd like some feedback on a grass tile.

<< < (2/2)

Schwee:
Congrats on getting into pixel art and welcome to the forum!

First I can tell you a few things you are doing right:
* For the grass tile, you are sticking to 3 colors
* You are using the different colors to make distinguishing shapes that the eye can read.
* For your character, you are simulating the concept of limbs getting closer and further from the 'camera' by changing their size.
* The head bobble helps keep the sprite feeling like it is really moving.  (Take away that head bobble and watch how suddenly the character looks like some robot or something)
* Nice highlight on baldie's head!

Ok things you can improve on:
* For the grass,  think of shapes you typically see used to draw grass.  They are basically an upside down V that is really skinny and curved, and sometimes blades of grass cover up other blades: https://i.pinimg.com/originals/27/40/54/2740546aae0861a05fa435c6b8316ca5.jpg
I highly suggest googling more images and seeing what the common themes are.

* For the character, the main issue I see here is the difference (or lack of) between shades.  Sometimes when shades are too similar, it looks like it is just muddying up the pixel art.  Take an eye dropper and then take a look at your "value" (the V in HSV) and see how different it is.  I generally consider it a rule of thumb that a shade should have at least a difference of 10 (in a scale of 0 to 100) from the next lightest shade.

* There are a few pixels that are shaded that don't need to be.  Example, the forehead on the character.  The darker pixels make it look like he has a big scar on his head or something.  The problem is that isn't clear enough that it IS a scar and it's just noticeable enough to indicate that it's not just a smooth forehead.

* Similarly to the forehead issue, there are lines where the arms and the torso connect.  You would actually want the lines to be where the heads and torso AREN'T connected.  It almost makes it look like he has backpack straps or something.

ShakaRule:
Ive tried working on the grass tiles, No luck :)

Nut i think i made some improvements the the character:

Chonky Pixel:
Apologies, I've been on holiday for a bit. Do you still need help with grass? :)

ShakaRule:
Well yeah, i'm still no good, i think its hard to make a 16x16 grass tile with detail.
It might be best to just have a solid color with just a few dots or something. Like the dirt tile

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version