AuthorTopic: Dynamic pose facing the camera  (Read 2804 times)

Offline Aniki

• View Profile

Dynamic pose facing the camera

on: September 10, 2019, 08:12:49 am

I've jotted out a form to start this image of a character who will be launching magic swords at the camera. This is supposed to be my take on this character from league of legends:

A few things I'm having trouble with in particular, her right hand is supposed to be flat and pointing forward, not sure if that is clear. I don't know how to do the shading on the skirt/leggings. The length of fabric coming off the side of her left arm. Her left hand this is the best i could come up with but it'd be nice if i could make her fingers look like they are spread out instead of together. Similarly I'm not sure if I can put eyes on a head this small. She looks a bit less dynamic and interesting than I had anticipated as well.

Any advice is appreciated of course. Thanks

Offline pistachio

• Mostly lurking
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/125138.htm
    • View Profile

Re: Dynamic pose facing the camera

Reply #1 on: September 10, 2019, 09:28:37 am
You're going for dynamic, but this is squashed-in/very long focal length. In general the total opposite of that. There's more than one solution to this problem (actually multiple problems) but your last ref is a big clue. Look how forcing the perspective makes the hand jump out, and a whole lotta other things that bring up the contrast overall.
I'm also seeing in the refs contrast in the values (your values are flat) and the shapes (not strong silhouette on this one. Circles back into squashed perspective.)
Also look into lines of action, where this has weak/no line of action. IDK where that pose is going. Doesn't communicate.

Offline Aniki

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: September 11, 2019, 07:51:08 am
Okay I've tried making her pose more interesting and exaggerating the color-contrast a bit. I do want her hand to gather more attention, I'm not sure how to make it come forward more. Do I just make it bigger?

Here's where I am at so far:

Offline dpixel

• http://pixeljoint.com/p/20306.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #3 on: September 22, 2019, 04:35:51 am
It's kind of hard to tell which leg was right or left.  The pose seems a bit stiff.  Overall, not bad.
Played with this a bit...

Offline MysteryMeat

• "The new alternative to q-tipping your cat!"
    • mysterymeat
    • spoiledmysterymeat
    • View Profile
    • My rad art blog!

Reply #4 on: September 22, 2019, 03:02:55 pm
i think it may be a problem with the sketch, did you start this as a stick skeleton ir a gesture? try doing a couple if either, see what works for you
PSA: use imgur
http://pixelation.org/index.php?topic=19838.0 also go suggest on my quest, cmon
MAJOR BORK TALLY: |