AuthorTopic: NES mockup - new screen  (Read 27803 times)

Offline Xion

• View Profile
    • FourbitFriday

Re: NES mockup

Reply #10 on: March 26, 2007, 04:26:20 am
very cool, kinda reminds me of cavestory
I knew someone was going to say that. I just knew it...
In fact, I was going to say that, but...I didn't want to.

Offline Lee N

• View Profile

Reply #11 on: March 26, 2007, 09:50:15 am
Hehe the main guy looks like the main character from this Indy game called "The Underside" http://www.superfundungeonrun.com/insignificantstudios/index.php
And The Underside is a ripoff of Cave Story..

Offline Gil

• Too square to be hip
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/475.htm
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio

Reply #12 on: March 26, 2007, 11:39:49 am
Hey, that mockup reminds me of.... SEXY! :y:

We love you ptoing :-*

Offline ndchristie

• View Profile

Reply #13 on: March 26, 2007, 01:22:17 pm
cavestory

I dont think this was at all inspired by cave story.  It's not like he was playing that game for several hours before he started this  ::)

ptoing, you heard most of my thoughts earlier, but i've got a couple new ones ^^

I like the green that you'ld had in the earlier mockups on the blue ramp, the white seems a little bit stark and the gree had fun lighting to it.

love the way the bg pipes came out, it's a nice compliment that doesnt harm readability while filling nicely.

you could make valves face the viewer by making them sprites, but something tells me that you are more interested in following restrictions in this piece than you are in working around them.  IMO the sideways valves look good already :P
A mistake is a mistake.
The same mistake twice is a bad habit.
The same mistake three or more times is a motif.

Offline ptoing

• variegated quadrangle arranger
    • the_ptoing
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/2191.htm
    • View Profile
    • Perpetually inactive website

Reply #14 on: March 26, 2007, 01:34:01 pm
Hehe, yes I played Cave Story for about 5 hours or longer that day I would say, so yeh, there might be similarities, tho I have to say I don't see them too much. Cavestory has way more obvious tiling and it might as well be the fact that CS looks like a spunked up NES game of sorts most of the time.

Adarias: Hm, I see what you mean about the highlights, they are not fully white atm, I might revise them tho. About the valves, sprites are precious, you can only have 8 per scanline or you get dropouts, and I only have 1 spritepalette left for other enemies. And be assured that I will do further gfx for this. And yes, I want to have this look so that it could actually run on a proper NES technically.

Hm, he does look a bit like the guy from The Underside, I think I will have to redesign him towards less generic >:0
There are no ugly colours, only ugly combinations of colours.

Offline QuickSilva

• View Profile

Reply #15 on: March 26, 2007, 02:52:59 pm
I really like this, it has a very unique feel to it. I always like your work anyway but at the moment I am hooked on the old NES style games. As a matter of fact I have just started work programming a NES style platformer for the PC. The game is planned to be very faithful to the original NES system and will also feature authentic NES music, controls etc... The game will be free or very low cost. Would you be interested in making your mockup into this game? I would be more than willing to provide you with a one screen test that includes some of your graphics in action if you need convincing?

If you are not interested then thats fine :) Anyway, great job on these. Really works well.

Jason.

Offline ptoing

• variegated quadrangle arranger
    • the_ptoing
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/2191.htm
    • View Profile
    • Perpetually inactive website

Reply #16 on: March 26, 2007, 04:14:15 pm
Check your pms QuickSilva
There are no ugly colours, only ugly combinations of colours.

Offline philipptr

• View Profile

Reply #17 on: March 26, 2007, 04:45:28 pm
makes me want to try myself at making a mockup with NES restrictions..
and totally makes me want to play this game :D

The only thing that imo needs a bit work is the steam. You've seriously managed to achieve something great with these restrictions

Offline AlienQuark

• be triangular
    • View Profile

Reply #18 on: March 26, 2007, 05:56:41 pm
This mockup makes me question WHY THE HELL other NES games didn't look as nice and polished as this does. I mean, if this is sticking to all NES restrictions, why the HELL were there so many god awful looking NES games? Maybe my memory is decieving me or something, but this looks way nicer than a good number of Nintendo games I remember from my youth.

In other words this rocks my socks. Hands down.

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #19 on: March 26, 2007, 06:21:16 pm
check out Batman for the NES too, by Hudson, for how NES games can look. It's down to skill and dealing with the restrictions in a smart manner. There's not many people around now that can do this like Ptoing, and there weren't very many then either.

It's the same with most old machines, why THE HELL don't all c64 games look like they could, why don't early EGA games look like they could, so on, so on.