AuthorTopic: NES mockup - new screen  (Read 27807 times)

Offline ptoing

• variegated quadrangle arranger
    • the_ptoing
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/2191.htm
    • View Profile
    • Perpetually inactive website

NES mockup - new screen

on: March 26, 2007, 02:16:51 am
Felt the itch for some NES mockup action and this is what I got after a decent amount of fiddling about. Good fun I have to say.

« Last Edit: March 30, 2007, 02:35:59 am by ptoing »
There are no ugly colours, only ugly combinations of colours.

Offline Grindie

• View Profile
    • Perfect Run

Re: NES mockup

Reply #1 on: March 26, 2007, 02:37:22 am
Looks excellent. I'd play it!

Offline Xion

• View Profile
    • FourbitFriday

Reply #2 on: March 26, 2007, 02:45:27 am
Aaaawwweeesssooommmeee...
But...
Is that steam shooting from the pipes...or a flower?
Are those glowy-eyed (skulls?) in the BG enemies? They'd be real nuisance to deal with, 'specially if the player's periph' isn't that good.
Are those orange lines by the pipes valves or reflections? Either way they look wierd. If they're valves, I think they'd lok better if they were actually on the face of the pipe. If they're reflections, then they're off.
Not too fond of the green enemies but that's just personal preference. I have a thing against heads on legs.

But yeah, I'd most definately play this.

Offline ptoing

• variegated quadrangle arranger
    • the_ptoing
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/2191.htm
    • View Profile
    • Perpetually inactive website

Reply #3 on: March 26, 2007, 02:58:53 am
Good point's Xion. The flowersteam would look nicer in animation I guess, but I might redo it.
The dark grey things are enemies. But they would be the annoying, low energy fast bat kind of enemies that almost die from looking at them.

The orange things are valves and I made them like that due to palette reasons. You can have 4 palettes for the background, each 3 colours and a global bgcolour which is black in my case. The colours in these palettes are not interchangable. A tile can not mix colours from both palettes. So I did not want to waste a palette, even tho I am only using 3 atm out of 4, but the pipe and woodthingy ones are quite close. Valves are same as wood.

I will prolly do more mockups of this "game" just to annoy people because it will prolly never ever be made :P
There are no ugly colours, only ugly combinations of colours.

Offline Fry

• westenfry
    • View Profile
    • Westen Fry Portfolio

Reply #4 on: March 26, 2007, 03:18:06 am
That's very excellent.. I especially love the background and overall composition of the pipes and platforms.  The main character kind of lacks appeal though, he just doesn't seem to fit the environment and appears like a lot less thought went into him than the rest.  I really love the Klap-Trap style enemies though, looks like it would be a fun game.  ;D

-Fry

Offline RhysD

• View Profile
    • RhysD.com

Reply #5 on: March 26, 2007, 03:34:21 am
Hehe the main guy looks like the main character from this Indy game called "The Underside" http://www.superfundungeonrun.com/insignificantstudios/index.php

Offline kakikukeko

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: March 26, 2007, 03:37:26 am
wow that's nice!!
one of the best BG I saw for a NES !  :D
I'm not too fond of the character though ^^
anyway... I have a bith the same crits as Xion about the orange lines.. I really didn't get that it was a valve..
I didn't really understand what you said about the palette limitation/tile or what, sorry if I'm wrong, but can't you do something like this?

Offline AdamAtomic

• natural born medic
    • View Profile
    • Adam Atomic

Reply #7 on: March 26, 2007, 03:48:53 am
no you couldn't :P  you could probably get away with something simliar, you'd just have to use only the palette used on the wooden thingies (which is the palette he used on the crank/wheels).  personally a mix of both through the level would probably look best!

Offline .TakaM

• View Profile
    • Fetch Quest

Reply #8 on: March 26, 2007, 04:01:27 am
very cool, kinda reminds me of cavestory
Life without knowledge is death in disguise

Offline Sharm

• View Profile

Reply #9 on: March 26, 2007, 04:22:33 am
Fantastic background.  If the valves aren't reading as such, why not just drop them?  You should add a HUD, add to the frustration of those who can't play it.  ;) (For anyone I'm confusing with the use of acronyms, HUD stands for Heads Up Display.  The health meter and such.)