AuthorTopic: Self Portrait, attempt number 2 (it actually looks like me!), AA help needed  (Read 6124 times)

Offline AdamAtomic

• natural born medic
    • View Profile
    • Adam Atomic
philip's edit points something very interesting out that no one else has commented on, which is this piece is very, very heavily pillowshaded.  Dithering does not fix pillow shading, only a good light source can mend that.

Offline Malor

• Masquerading as a black bear.
    • View Profile
ugh, I hate self portraits...edit 3 coming up eventually :-[
Quote from: Adarias
I'm not going to pretend this is a small task either; certainly none of us here can claim to have accomplished it.  it's the realm of masters.  still, it's what we all have to try for.

Offline Fizz

• View Profile
Have you looked at this?

http://www.anticz.com/heads.htm

Drawing portraits without any foundation can be sucide.. well to your picture. ::)

Offline ndchristie

• View Profile
I would suggest beginning by quickly blocking out all the major regions of the face:

that took me about 40 minutes to do, and it is far from perfect, i have a bad habit of making everyone look older than they are in real life and it's much harder for me to do on the computer, but it is sufficient for this first step. 40 minutes may sound like a long time, but it is well worth it to get all of the rough placements and forms set up. 

NOW, once you have DONE ALL THAT can you BEGIN to refine the image.  Dithing, adding colors, smoothing, tight drawing, these all should come well after you have a base image to work from.

Try it, youll find that preparing your images versus not preparing them, the results will be 100% better 100% of the time you prepare them.
A mistake is a mistake.
The same mistake twice is a bad habit.
The same mistake three or more times is a motif.

Offline Malor

• Masquerading as a black bear.
    • View Profile
That is sexy Adarias. It's fine that it looks older, that picture is like 1 year old, and Im to lazy to take another :-[, anyways, Im wokring on a complete redo..agian
« Last Edit: March 26, 2007, 02:27:04 am by Malor »
Quote from: Adarias
I'm not going to pretend this is a small task either; certainly none of us here can claim to have accomplished it.  it's the realm of masters.  still, it's what we all have to try for.