AuthorTopic: aircraft ('hi, i'm new here'-topic)  (Read 6383 times)

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Re: aircraft ('hi, i'm new here'-topic)

Reply #10 on: March 25, 2007, 01:48:40 pm

I think these shines would help explain the volumetrics of the plane, seeing as it is in open daylight and the heavy right bias to the lightsource doesn't make much sense, but also it makes especially the hull of the ship look as if it's a bit 'gradiented'. However, the shines I added outline a problem with the main hull and jet engines in relation to the wings.. they seem to have a bit of a mismatched perspective. I didn't edit to that extend because it would mean extensive reworking. In fact, my shined edge on the beak of the ship accentuated the problem that was 'hidden in the shadows' before, sadly. Perhaps setting up a rudimentary 3d model beforehand of pixelling would help, if you've got the faculties for that.

I added the yellow tint to the actual exhausts that emmit the flames, I thought it would be strongest there than on the reflections in other places.

I defatted the black line on the far wing, again a matter of preference, I think it looks better thusly, personally.

Fixed a really small nitpick on one cloud.

I 'showed' a bit more of the far turbine since given the volume and angle of the hull, I don't think it could be obstructed as much as it was.

This is really nice, I think if you adress small points such as these you can get it to be as good as it can be, without major reconfiguration of perspective.

Offline mirage

• View Profile

Reply #11 on: March 25, 2007, 03:38:29 pm
Fixed the perspective:

I didn't use all your edits... Personally i thought it was a bit over the top, but i liked the backlight on the nose-part

Current version:

Also broke up the clouds a little bit more with some hue-dithering and softened the transition between the blue en pink in the top left corner

I'm happy with it now

Offline JJ Naas

• View Profile
    • My Deviantart page

Reply #12 on: March 25, 2007, 04:45:25 pm
Awesomeness! I totally dig the thick black lines in the original version.. oh well. About the clouds below... I'd like to see more conformity in the shadows they cast to have a better idea of how far from the ground they are. What's the main light source? If the ship is flying on top of the clouds, shouldn't it be bathing in sunlight? Seems still rather cloudy on top of this layer of clouds.. Still, it looks great as it is.

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #13 on: March 25, 2007, 10:31:16 pm
I think you're right to be happy with it, it looks quite excellent, and I can't find much fault with it. The perspective fix was intuitive, nice job alaround! Welcome to pixelation again. Stay a while, stay forever.