AuthorTopic: pixel personal site + retro game mockup [updated]  (Read 16881 times)

Offline AdamAtomic

• natural born medic
    • View Profile
    • Adam Atomic
argh yes thanks for reminding me, i meant to have previous and next functions built into the window and completely forgot, i'll get those in soon!

Offline Soup

• Monkey lovvvvvvve
    • View Profile
pugs is adorable

Offline AdamAtomic

• natural born medic
    • View Profile
    • Adam Atomic

Re: pixel personal site + retro game mockup [updated]

Reply #42 on: March 27, 2007, 07:02:38 am

Version 2!  Improvement?  Drastic step backwards?  Middling mediocrity?

Offline Bisse

• View Profile

Reply #43 on: March 27, 2007, 05:17:32 pm
Dude, i'd tap that.

There are some details that seem out of place. Also, since you're going for a simplistic Wii look, i'm not too sure about the outlines. Perhaps they should be brighter? It looks great at the moment, but it doesn't look Wii.

Offline ptoing

• variegated quadrangle arranger
    • the_ptoing
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/2191.htm
    • View Profile
    • Perpetually inactive website

Reply #44 on: March 27, 2007, 05:20:04 pm
Also, on a sidenote, why does stuff have to look Wii? I think it should look Adam. If it looks like wii it will look more or less like Ipod  :blind:
There are no ugly colours, only ugly combinations of colours.

Offline AdamAtomic

• natural born medic
    • View Profile
    • Adam Atomic

Reply #45 on: March 27, 2007, 05:41:20 pm
Bisse - thanks, yeah its pretty schizo right now, I'm going to do a third version in a little while that will hopefully be a little more solid.

Ptoing - I'd like it to look "wii" so that it is inviting for new/casual gamers, but I also want it to look NES (this version is actually to spec, but only uses 1 palette for background and 1 for sprites).  I'm hoping to appeal to people that bought their Wii for Wii Sports and the Virtual Console, something that will look familiar to them.  So far it is a balance I have not been able to strike!  If I get a good library built in Flash then I would love to make more games that do NOT look Wii in the slightest.

EDIT - Actually I should clarify that I guess...I want this particular design to look like an NES game, but be evocative of the Wii's design - simple, white, gray, some neon blue here and there.  Obviously to make the game look good I am going to have to bend/work around those rules, I'm just still not sure about the best way to do that yet!
« Last Edit: March 27, 2007, 05:48:23 pm by AdamAtomic »

Offline crab2selout.png

• lost my left-most pixel in the war
    • View Profile

Reply #46 on: March 27, 2007, 06:57:46 pm
I like it, this one's got some depth to it and that usually makes things a bit interesting. It's kinda neat how the dithering almost makes your background look like it's warping into the z-dimension. I was thinking of suggesting tinting the grey, but it really didn't make much of a diff when I tried myself. the grey actually looked better, even with really tiny tints.

Offline AdamAtomic

• natural born medic
    • View Profile
    • Adam Atomic

Reply #47 on: March 27, 2007, 06:59:09 pm
Alright here's version 3:

Dropped that whole outlines thing, abandoned the strict NES palette, tried to really think about a style that works than necessarily a style that fits?  Dunno if it helped or not :P

EDIT - updated wiigotfliis.com too, if anyone wants to see how it will look on the Wii!
« Last Edit: March 27, 2007, 07:01:05 pm by AdamAtomic »

Offline Panda

• 威風堂々
    • View Profile

Reply #48 on: March 27, 2007, 07:59:40 pm
Visually it looks better than the version2, but how will this minimalistic approach attract new/casual players?
I mean, the wii does have all that white/blue/gray thing, but wasn't the whole easy-to-pick-up part what attracted more people?
Overall, I'm not feeling this whole thing. It looks stylish to a certain point, but looks more like a fast job and rather unfinished.
But maybe it is just me
« Last Edit: March 27, 2007, 08:02:56 pm by Panda »

Offline AdamAtomic

• natural born medic
    • View Profile
    • Adam Atomic

Reply #49 on: March 27, 2007, 08:33:10 pm
It's not just you, cuz I am having the same reaction, trust me!  That's why I have been asking for critiques/edits/feedback...it is mucho unfinished; this whole project is the result of a few rushed sittings, just trying to get some of my basic ideas down.  I like where I am heading now (conceptually, not in execution); the level I am finally visualizing rather than just drawing randomly is kind of an ant farmy type environment I think, like the level is a toy or diorama.  It still looks cheap, which is NOT the intended effect, so I will keep working on it...