AuthorTopic: Keyboard Pixel Program  (Read 7560 times)

Offline ndchristie

• View Profile

Keyboard Pixel Program

on: March 24, 2007, 11:26:25 pm
Does anyone know a good pixel-art program that can work on a modern laptop using only the keyboard?  I used to have one but i forgot what it was, that was 6-7 years ago too.  Are we doomed to just buy ourselves wireless mice to do laptop pixelwork?
A mistake is a mistake.
The same mistake twice is a bad habit.
The same mistake three or more times is a motif.

Offline miascugh

• Schnitzelfiend
    • View Profile

Re: Keyboard Pixel Program

Reply #1 on: March 24, 2007, 11:36:32 pm
Mhh? Don't you have a usb mouse or usb-adapter at home? As for the program, I don't know, I think quite a couple of old programs were operated that way.

Offline Stwelin

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: March 25, 2007, 01:34:32 am
I remember using one that was dos based, you couldn't get a full range of colors, of course, but it was there. I haven't used it since my childhood, so i wouldn't remember... They do exist though.

Offline ndchristie

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: March 25, 2007, 01:54:07 am
Mhh? Don't you have a usb mouse or usb-adapter at home? As for the program, I don't know, I think quite a couple of old programs were operated that way.

im well aware that i can find a mouse for my laptop....................but i don't want one; that's why im asking about a keyboard program.

if nobody knows one though it doesnt really matter.
A mistake is a mistake.

Offline Ai

• finti
    • http://pixeljoint.com/pixels/profile.asp?id=1996
    • finticemo
    • View Profile

Reply #4 on: March 25, 2007, 07:18:36 am
The graphics editor included in OHRRPGCE might work for your purposes; it's main limitations are 16 colors per sprite and 80x80 max size. You also need to premake your 256 color 'master palette' which the 16 used in a given sprite may be assigned to (you can have multiple master palettes if needed, in recent dev releases).
Actually getting those images into files might require the use of Printscreen or a screen capture program.

http://www.hamsterrepublic.com/ohrrpgce/
If you insist on being pessimistic about your own abilities, consider also being pessimistic about the accuracy of that pessimistic judgement.

Offline miascugh

• Schnitzelfiend
    • View Profile

Reply #5 on: March 25, 2007, 09:00:28 am
Oh, ok, I misinterpreted this then.

Are we doomed to just buy ourselves wireless mice to do laptop pixelwork?

Why so keen on keyboard based controlls? Curiousity? I mean mice or tablets work no different for laptops.

Offline ptoing

• variegated quadrangle arranger
    • the_ptoing
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/2191.htm
    • View Profile
    • Perpetually inactive website

Reply #6 on: March 25, 2007, 09:06:36 am
Get yourself a mouse or tablet. Believe me, you don't want to pixel with the keyboard. I tried that on the C64, fucking sucks donkey butt, I swear.
There are no ugly colours, only ugly combinations of colours.

Offline Ai

• finti
    • http://pixeljoint.com/pixels/profile.asp?id=1996
    • finticemo
    • View Profile

Reply #7 on: March 25, 2007, 02:28:29 pm
Oh, ok, I misinterpreted this then.

Are we doomed to just buy ourselves wireless mice to do laptop pixelwork?

Why so keen on keyboard based controlls? Curiousity? I mean mice or tablets work no different for laptops.

Mice require extra space near the laptop (and hence often preclude laptop usage of the laptop); ditto for tablets (except in the case of TabletPCs, where it's integrated into the screen.). touchpads are a bit tricky but maybe workable for small pixel pieces.
Maybe adarias has other, additional objections; I always found the above requirements fairly crippling to mouse/tablet use on a laptop.

what ptoing says is kinda true; and using a joystick is a bit better than keyboard. Keyboard is fine for small tiles (8x8..16x16) though. Still not as fast as a mouse, but more precise.
If you insist on being pessimistic about your own abilities, consider also being pessimistic about the accuracy of that pessimistic judgement.

Offline ndchristie

• View Profile

Reply #8 on: March 25, 2007, 03:02:28 pm
the size when using, and the size when packing are the two big annoyances about mice, and even though they pack better i've never like tablets much at all except for freehand sketching.

i mostly was just curious, since i do almost all of my work on desktops (and taking my flash drive between them)

ill check out that link a bit later and see what it does for me.  it would be great if there was one that i could get a full 256c palette on tho.
A mistake is a mistake.

Offline ptoing

• variegated quadrangle arranger
    • the_ptoing
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/2191.htm
    • View Profile
    • Perpetually inactive website

Reply #9 on: March 25, 2007, 03:13:30 pm
Still not as fast as a mouse, but more precise.

Whatwhat? How is keyboard more precise than a mouse, or anything. They are JUST AS precise, as is a tablet as well or a trackball, or a joystick (which is pretty painfull to pixel with too).
There are no ugly colours, only ugly combinations of colours.