AuthorTopic: aircraft ('hi, i'm new here'-topic)  (Read 6367 times)

Offline mirage

• View Profile

aircraft ('hi, i'm new here'-topic)

on: March 24, 2007, 09:33:44 pm
Hi, been lurking here for a while now and i'm pretty impressed with most of the work posted here so i thought i would do some pixel work myself again

I've been an active member of the c64 scene for a while and have worked on various GBC/GBA/mobile phone games... Nowadays I'm working on a next-gen ps3 game so doing some (non-c64) pixels was nice for a change

Ok, here is something i did tonight... it's small and just a remake of some graphics i did for a game before, because i just wanted to get the feeling for square pixels back

(No reference used, painted in my own pixel program i'm working on at the moment, first test run didn't crash :))

It was tricky getting it to fit into 16 colours, but i think it turned out alright

I kinda liked having a non-static palette (in contrast with the static c64 palette) again and i had fun doing some hue-shifting

C+C welcome, and i'm curious to see some edits aswell
« Last Edit: March 24, 2007, 09:36:08 pm by mirage »

Offline inkspot

• View Profile

Re: aircraft ('hi, i'm new here'-topic)

Reply #1 on: March 24, 2007, 09:39:38 pm
No CC, you are pure master. For a one night, this even better, how many hours you did this?

Offline Sharm

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: March 24, 2007, 10:06:25 pm
Wow.  That looks fantastic.  The only crit I can possibly think of after staring at it is that the top flame has an odd bit of white and the bottom intake(?) looks a bit flattened compared to the top one.  Very impressive.

Offline Fry

• westenfry
    • View Profile
    • Westen Fry Portfolio

Reply #3 on: March 24, 2007, 11:38:12 pm

I did a quick edit just for fun, mainly just swapped the palette up a little bit and added a few more highlights.  The detail is amazing, I especially love the clouds.

As far as the composition and details are concerned, there is very minimal to improve upon.  I can't wait to see more.

-Fry

Offline Joshua

• jrobgraphics
    • View Profile
    • jrobportfolio

Reply #4 on: March 24, 2007, 11:47:46 pm
Oh, nice. I especially like the design of the aircraft. Nice palette too. The way you shaded the clouds make them look a bit flat, but then again it can also be seen as an interesting style choice.

Either way, this is definitely a breathe of fresh air. Do you possibly have any more of your art online that we could see?

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #5 on: March 25, 2007, 12:08:02 am
Hi mirage, glad to have you.

Your piece has a lot of dark shades that are very close to each other, and to black. You should separate and optimise. There's a lot of jaggiedness also, manual antialias would help. I think the thick black outline for the ship in this case is a crutch. You can separate the ship from background with light edges as well, and generally it spoils the realistic mood by having these cartoony outlines. Below is an edit to show you some classic hand aa and also some 'modern' pixel art techniques such as 'interlace dithering', some dither-aa (on the vertical edge of the wing) and so on.

Offline Serena

• View Profile
    • Serena's Deviant Art

Reply #6 on: March 25, 2007, 12:19:24 am
I persoanlly like the black outlines, I wouldn't change them.  I think they work with the style you've got going.

Offline kakikukeko

• View Profile

Reply #7 on: March 25, 2007, 12:57:02 am
no real crits from me, that's really good.. yeah I agree with Serena, the black lines are part of the style, so it's probably a matter of taste.. maybe they could be less regular in size though and have perspective..
like darker (thicker in the front) and thiner/lighter behind... ? just a thought..
Can't wait to see more!  ;)

Offline mirage

• View Profile

Reply #8 on: March 25, 2007, 12:59:47 pm
Thanks for the comments and critiques  :)

I originally made this image as a startscreen for a game, but i lost the original and only had a jpg version left... this is what i managed to save from it:

@Sharm: Agreed, the exhausts and flame looked a bit weird so i fixed that in the latest version

@Fry: i'm not sure about the palette change, but i like the extra highlight on the cockpit, so i put that in my version aswell

@Joshua: Most of the stuff I pixeled got lost at one point and i only have some crappy jpg's left :(

@Helm: I see now today that some of the colours are too dark, must have been because my room was too dark aswell last night. I see what you're saying about the aa being a bit sloppy, i fixed most of that today. The dither-aa i'm not too happy about as it can make clean lines look a bit messy, imho.

yesterday's version:

latest version with all your c+c in mind:

Offline philipptr

• View Profile

Reply #9 on: March 25, 2007, 01:48:17 pm
Great piece! The only thing that seems strange to me is that in the new version the reflection of the flames is a bit extreme. All other edits you've made work very well on this piece. Nice work :)