AuthorTopic: Butterflies on the beach  (Read 3647 times)

Offline Omenith

• View Profile
    • Portfolio

Butterflies on the beach

on: March 23, 2007, 09:19:08 pm

Getting my feet wet, AGAIN (yes, it happends alot)! Yes, I know its very well into the surrealism department. Er, Just lemme know what you think of it. I tried some Monsoon2d type dithering. Sorta inspired by Cowboy Beebop: The Movie and some junk I've been readin'.

Edited: Put IMG tags so u guys can zoom..
« Last Edit: March 23, 2007, 09:27:43 pm by Omenith »

Offline Xion

• View Profile
    • FourbitFriday

Re: Butterflies on the beach

Reply #1 on: March 23, 2007, 10:39:34 pm
I really like the idea and those leaves on the right, but the sky isn't smooth enough to be Mnsn2d smooth, and the water looks more like a blue blanket, to me. Not too fond of the bright yellow sand.

Offline abzdragon

• cupcake unicorn.
    • View Profile
    • Fishbowl Designs

Reply #2 on: March 23, 2007, 11:35:37 pm
I really like this idea... the interesting color combo and the shadless butterflies appeal to me.
My suggestion is to add some more horizontal lines to the water because like Xion says it looks more like a blanket or sand.

Offline Omenith

• View Profile
    • Portfolio

Reply #3 on: March 28, 2007, 09:39:36 pm

Thanks guys; I tried to add alittle more lines in the water but I don't think I've accomplished very much. Also AA'd some stuff and tweaked the colors alittle more.

Heres an ad hoc animation too.. Feel free to edit as you wish.

Offline Rydin

• ...zzzt...
    • @thickDumps
    • View Profile
    • thickDumps

Reply #4 on: March 29, 2007, 05:03:00 am
I like this...very "trippy" to say the least  ;D.   I have an itch with it though; Props for studying  :y:, but you say you are trying to imitate the dither god, Monsoon2d's, dithering, yet you don't follow how he does it  :n:.

He goes both ways with the dither, while you are only going out one direction (that's as best as I can explain it, sorry :().  The result is dither-y, but not as effective as it could be.

But as for the piece itself, I like it.  The way the butterflies melt into the sky is awesome.  I'd suggest maybe some hue-shifting in the sky as you did with the sea, but that's personal preference I guess...  Either way, keep pixelling!
Man cannot remake himself without suffering for he is both the marble and the sculptor.

Offline Sharm

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: March 29, 2007, 07:01:47 pm
The animation is fun, and I like the colors.  But something that's been bothering me for a while is that the leaves on the left are detailed and three dementional, but the forground is very flat.  They both look good, but the styles clash.