AuthorTopic: Battleship [WIP]  (Read 2913 times)

Offline Fiona

• View Profile

Battleship [WIP]

on: March 25, 2007, 11:52:05 am
Hey! Brand new newbie here.
I wouldn't say I'm new to pixelling, but I wouldn't say I'm much good either. (Especially judging by most of the work on this board...!)

So I saw another trailer for Spore (my word it will be the best game ever made) And there was a little bit of it where the player was using the editors to make their own ship. So I was inspired to draw my own bulky cartoonish battleship.
I'ld really like some critique on it, it's using a pretty restrictive pallete by my standards and it's working okay for me so far....

Thanks!

Offline AdamAtomic

• natural born medic
    • View Profile
    • Adam Atomic

Re: Battleship [WIP]

Reply #1 on: March 25, 2007, 05:40:22 pm
First off, welcome to Pixelation!  I hope that you learn as much as I have :)  Here comes my crit...

Make sure that you aren't painting on a pure white background, use a darker color (40-60% luminosity with maybe a little blue or red if you're going for specific values).  I think that's having a very negative effect on the contrast in this piece, or lack thereof.  Your water shape even for something cartoony doesn't really make sense - the things sticking off are too long, and the shading makes it look like clay or something.

As for the ship itself, its very hard to tell what's going on.  It appears to have the front on the right side, but the water makes it look like its moving backwards.  The shading is not taking the actual vessel shape into account at all - it looks like one of those poofy embroidered things where all the shapes are sticking up the same amount.  There are lots of things sticking off the ship, but only those 2 rear ones look like guns at all.  The red markings are completely illegible, not sure what they are supposed to be.  Overall, while I am able to discern at least probably the orientation of the ship, there is very little else that makes any sense.  You have nonsensical shapes and boring colors.

The only thing I can recommend is checking out a few real battleships, and practicing some simpler structures so you can get a better grasp of your shapes and colors.  That's not to say that this needs to be a realistic piece, but you need to know what you are trying to stylize before you attempt that.  Good stylization is harder than realism; bad stylization is sloppy and cheap.

Offline Sharm

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: March 25, 2007, 08:57:52 pm
One more suggestion.  I wouldn't dither on a piece this small.  Nor would I dither on a surface that's supposed to be shiney like your water or metal.  I bet this will look fantastic once you've got some references to work from.  Welcome to the forums!

Offline Atrophy

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: March 26, 2007, 02:24:46 am
Adam and Sharm covered mainly everything but the one thing that sticks out a WHOLE lot is why the water is pushing the other way. The waves should be bouncing off the ship and spashing away from the front of the ship not towards it. unless that is the back but it doesnt look like it.

Offline Fiona

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: March 26, 2007, 06:12:38 am
Thank you so much for all the crits! I'll try my best to take everything on board.
I've been trying to work out the best way to shade it, dithering definitely doesn't work, I'll agree. But everything I try ends up looking messy, boring or wrong.

Does anyone have any good examples of metal shading? The ship shape certainly doesn't help, hee.

Yeah the water. I have no idea what I was thinking. ??? It is splashing the wrong direction. Do'h! (Can I lie and say that the ship is sailing backwards :lol: )