AuthorTopic: Pixel Characters + Gallery  (Read 6383 times)

Offline onebyone

• View Profile

Pixel Characters + Gallery

on: March 23, 2007, 06:57:02 pm
I'm relatively new to pixeling, and this is my first post here, so don't kill me if I did something wrong  :-X
Decided to trash the try on a rpg game after seeing wonderfull ones here, I rather play good ones than make crap ones :D

New game that ive been planning for a longer time:

It's going to be a puzzle type collaboration java based game, were players control "pixels" that come in a variety of colors, and can walk, run, punch, push, make themselves into a block and slide, and all kinds of other things. There might be boses at the end of each level (depending how fighting based im going to make it) and they will be all kinds of every day tools you meet while pixeling. For example the first boss might be a collections of 1 black and 8 grey cubes, and would be called AA :D. It will also be one team vs the other racing to a certain goal, and dirty tricks are allowed (boxing the lowest person in their block pyramid off so all of them fall down etc) Im trying to make the graphics cute, kind of like pikmin or yoshis island etc. If anyone has any ideas, or any tips on how to improve my pictures, those comments are highly appreciated.

And the walking animation:

Gallery
(since im new here)

Was for a rpg kind of thing.

Made for another person

Made for another person

For a competition

Randomness

More Randomness

For a limited color/size competition

Inspired by a game I play.

A collaboration puzzle

It's a WEEEE!

Trend whore me

Tried something abstract, failed xD

Made for another guy.

Made for a guy who plays the game I play

Made for myself
« Last Edit: March 24, 2007, 11:32:47 am by onebyone »

Offline Bugguy

• Now animated =~~
    • View Profile

Re: Elf archer and Viking swordsman sprites

Reply #1 on: March 23, 2007, 10:07:52 pm
Your pixel art is kinda nice, but you have to train your hand drawing skillz, if you wanna get better  :mean:
I'm still a newb around here, please be patient TT__TT

Offline Gil

• Too square to be hip
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/475.htm
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio

Reply #2 on: March 24, 2007, 02:35:47 am
Runescape? Did someone post this forum's address in the runescape forums? We're getting tons of "sig makers" lately.

The more the merrier! Welcome!  ;D

You might want to up the saturation a bit. Try working with someone else's vivid palette, try examining the C64 palette. Try seeing how far you can push saturation and still make it pleasing.

You might want to incorporate some hue variance too.

Offline onebyone

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: March 24, 2007, 11:01:17 am
Yea runescape,

Pixeling is really respected there, since there aren't any renders that you could use in signatures really, and it works well with the cartoony graphics and the rpgness. Im trying to get more into saturdation, but im a bit confused with what to do if the object is red, or if the object is blue (should I go in the direction of purple or green) Thanks for your helpful comments :)

Offline sharprm

• INTP/INTJ
    • View Profile

Re: Pixel Characters + Gallery

Reply #4 on: March 24, 2007, 11:51:44 am
I think the last one is your gallery is good - i like how the string on the bow is yellow - looks like the light is just catching it. But the body needs some work, the hips are too low and the legs too short.
Modern artists are told that they must create something totally original-or risk being called "derivative".They've been indoctrinated with the concept that bad=good.The effect is always the same: Meaningless primitivism
http://www.artrenewal.org/articles/Philosophy/phi

Offline Gil

• Too square to be hip
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/475.htm
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio

Reply #5 on: March 24, 2007, 01:33:08 pm
Im trying to get more into saturdation, but im a bit confused with what to do if the object is red, or if the object is blue (should I go in the direction of purple or green) Thanks for your helpful comments :)

Try both directions, look at the difference and decide which you like best. Pixel art, like any art medium is all about studying... :y:

Offline AlienQuark

• be triangular
    • View Profile

Reply #6 on: March 24, 2007, 05:42:09 pm
I would say the last one you have there is by far the best up there (along with e OMG animation that runs out of the hole)

But I would suggest you look into some shading techniques, especially for the character. Right you you're either using gradient or pillow shading on the brown, and in all honesty that just looks horrid. You definitely don't need as many colours there either, as my eyes can see about 20 that all look really close together. So look into more realistic shading, it could really help improve an already good looking piece.

That said, let's talk about the good there. First of all, your trees look great, I think if anything just a little cleaning on them would help, make the bark look a little less random, but I think that's just a personal nitpick on that one. The atmosphere is definitely there. You have a good sense of perspective in that piece which is really rare for someone just coming to pixelation, especially the ones posting runescape sigs thus far.

I think those few pointers should help, just work on the character, probably work towards less colours, etc. Good start man :y:

Offline Stwelin

• View Profile

Reply #7 on: March 25, 2007, 01:39:35 am
I think the reason runescape inspired pixel art is always sub par is because runescape is sub par. The graphics are severely lacking, and it carries over whenever an attempt is made to try to pixel them. You'll have to grow out of the linetool if you want to progress in pixel art.

-- that said --

The piece i like the most is the map, it shows a lot more potential, a good palette, good sense of lighting. I'd say that working on a small scale would amplify your strong points.

Also, do those block things only have one leg?

Offline onebyone

• View Profile

Reply #8 on: March 25, 2007, 11:59:32 am
Thanks for all the comments, ill work on all the points you listed  :y:

Also, do those block things only have one leg?
No  :P they have two legs but they are so short that they cant be seen, I messed up on the animation though, because it should be seen there.

Offline am_pm

• Lurker supreme
    • View Profile

Reply #9 on: March 25, 2007, 11:01:17 pm
I like your OMG monster.

?