AuthorTopic: Alien creature  (Read 3779 times)

Offline am_pm

• Lurker supreme
    • View Profile

Alien creature

on: March 23, 2007, 12:45:52 am

I was trying to strengthen my shading ability along with trying to break the left brain/right brain conflict. What it looks like, not how you think it should look. It started of from the eye and just sorta bloomed from there. It was fun  :)

Crits/comments?

Offline Andy Tran

• View Profile
    • The City of Andy Tran

Re: Alien creature

Reply #1 on: March 23, 2007, 02:03:51 am
 It's a good looking sprite you made there. Here are somethings I can see that can be fixed. You should use a soft shadow to smoothen the skin tones out. I think using a black outine would work well for this. Since he's kinda cartoony heh. His eyes are kinda flat, maybe throw in some shading to it. I made an edit, you can use this to study or use it for whatever purpose you like. I take no credit :D.

What I did here: Added a lighter green shade to use as mid tone between base and darkest. Anti-aliased some parts. Added shading to the eyes to make it 3d. Added a black outline to outer edges only.

Offline am_pm

• Lurker supreme
    • View Profile

Reply #2 on: March 23, 2007, 11:09:06 am

Howzat?I added the other shade of green that you said, and it helped a lot I think. He doesn't look so flat. Thank you :)

I kept his stature long and lanky. I tried some shading on the eyes but I'm not sure it's working.

Woo!

Offline Tremulant

• Enfant Terrible
    • View Profile

Reply #3 on: March 23, 2007, 01:15:10 pm
I think one of the major problems here stems from the lack of details, especially in the head, around the eyes. You're trying to fill in a lot of empty, 'smooth' space, and as a result, the picture looks a bit pillowy and flat.
I did a quick edit on the head, to show what I mean.

I added little things like wrinkles around the eyes, more pronounced cheek bones, and stuff like that. Another thing that may be taking away from this piece is the fact that it's mirrored. I tried to address that, too, but probably didn't fully fix it.

The update is a nice improvement, by the way. Keep it up. :)

Offline Andy Tran

• View Profile
    • The City of Andy Tran

Reply #4 on: March 24, 2007, 04:33:32 am
 Great edit, Tremulant. I hope it helps him.

Offline am_pm

• Lurker supreme
    • View Profile

Reply #5 on: March 24, 2007, 06:23:17 pm

Latest!

I tried eliminating the mirrored look by giving him some accessories. Tremulant's edit helped a lot but I know my version needs some more work. Yes I stole the edit you made to the nose :P I have a feeling the next thing I'm going to change is the color selection, but I want to get the physical aspects down first.

Anyway, thanks for the edit it helped me alot. Enjoi  :)

Offline Rydin

• ...zzzt...
    • @thickDumps
    • View Profile
    • thickDumps

Reply #6 on: March 25, 2007, 01:15:32 am
This is looking much better.  I think the next thing you should work on is a more defined light source; at the moment, it appears like there is two white lights on each side of the monster, and I don't think that's what you're going for.  Instead, try a single light source--picking a corner usually works pretty well, as made example by Tremulant's choice to light from the top left corner in his edit.  Alternately, you could place the light source directly above the alien for the easiest fix.
You say you might work on the colors soon, which is probably a good idea; the current colors aren't redundant, which is a good thing, but they also aren't very interesting.  Probably playing with hue shifts would be your best bet to add to the interest.
Good luck, and keep pixelling!

Man cannot remake himself without suffering for he is both the marble and the sculptor.