AuthorTopic: A few of my "works" on a game I probably won't finish.  (Read 2909 times)

Offline Crispy

• View Profile

This is the main character who is based very, very heavily off Marvin from HHGTTG. I've named him Marv. Keep in mind I have no experience in spriting, and this is pretty much the first character I've ever even tried to finish.

Background story on my game for those interested: Marv is an outdated janitor robot. Displeased and unsatisfied with his position as second-class citizen aboard the gigantic [insert name here] (which is basically a huge city inside an equally huge spaceship. It's got like trees and doors and everything.), he manages to somehow find himself in a position where he can just jump off the damn thing and end it all. Well, he does, and as a result floats off into the distance and... I haven't thought it through any more than that. He'll probably land on various planets doing various things. >_>

Anyway... I want to get the basic standing sprite down before I start doing animations, but there's a few things I don't like about the sprite that I was hoping some of you could help me with.

- The shading seems a little too simplistic, but I have no idea how to improve it.
- The front and back views just look weird. I tried making it skinnier or fatter or something but it always just looks plain off.
- I couldn't get the legs and feet to look consistent for all the sides. There are some other things that go in and out of proportion too. A little help in getting perspective right would be much appreciated.

There are probably more flaws I'm not aware of, but that's where you come in.

Okay, these are a couple more sprites I've done.

So what we've got here are the current model of robot on board the [name], complete with NO arms OR legs. Rayman robots, pretty much. And then there are some possible faces and emotions the robots could have. Based slightly off Gir from Invader Zim.

Any and all help improving these sprites will be much appreciated. ^_^

Offline NikkiPink

• View Profile

Re: A few of my "works" on a game I probably won't finish.

Reply #1 on: March 22, 2007, 02:40:25 pm
Welcome to the boards! Loving the Marvin! I would suggest learning about aa (anti aliasing), to help with line quality and shading. What kind of game is it going to be? Platformer, RPG, etc? I ask because the sprites you have made so far are from a strange perspective, or at least to me. If it is supposed to be top down or isometric (3/4), you will need to make a few changes.

Offline Crispy

• View Profile

Re: A few of my "works" on a game I probably won't finish.

Reply #2 on: March 23, 2007, 08:16:05 am
Uhh, well I've decided it will most likely be a 2D side-scrolling platformer (and hopefully it'll incorporate some RPG elements too). I can kinda see how you were thrown off by the 3/4 and front/back views, when the side views are really the only ones you'll be seeing, but I was hoping to get a little practice in spriting for whatever else I decide to do by using them. (I hope that made sense. It seemed like that sentence took forever to type <_<). And it looks cool when it's a GIF. :D

I'll be sure to check up on aa, and thanks for the reply!