AuthorTopic: [WIP] Music Video - Desert Trucker  (Read 235 times)

Offline Sokota

• WeThePuppets
    • View Profile
    • TeamSkyfire

[WIP] Music Video - Desert Trucker

on: August 06, 2019, 05:29:29 am
Hey guys and gals,

It's been a real hot minute since I've stepped foot in these parts, but here I am. I'm working on a pixel art music video. Working resolution is 320x180, final resolution will be scaled up 6x to 1920x1080 (or even more to 4k perhaps).

I already have a fairly detailed animatic done, finally starting the actual pixel art. I've built a test scene, and I was hoping to get some critique before moving ahead.

Anything regarding technique, colors (especially colors), tips n tricks, workflow advice or anything else would be greatly appreciated!

Here's the first scene so far (I have a total of about 70 shots to complete, this is one of them)

I'm trying to keep a fairly low color count but I'm not being too strict on pixel rules, such as opacity (aside from the fact I'm not going to use gradients). The window and the truck's shadow are original palette colors with dropped opacity. I know it's not pure, but this is one cheat I'm okay with.

Thanks in advance!

« Last Edit: August 07, 2019, 04:47:57 am by Sokota »
puppets.run.everything

Offline Sokota

• WeThePuppets
    • View Profile
    • TeamSkyfire

Re: [WIP] Music Video - Desert Trucker

Reply #1 on: August 13, 2019, 08:23:29 am

Here's a minor update to the scene I previously posted..removed a color, cleaned up some pixels..

These sprites have a double use-case. They are going to be used in a gameboy-like scene in the full music video. However, I also want to turn them into a playable game if I can. It's a little meta where the gameboy trucker game is replicated in the 'glossier' pixel world with the trucker character driving through the desert.

I know I'm breaking the original Gameboy's alpha limitations (I'm pretty sure?), but I wanted to stick pretty close to the actual limitations (resolution, color palette) while evoking the glory days of the OG Gameboy (I played Tetris and Donky Kong on one!)

Any feedback or critique is helpful moving forward :). Or if you're a programmer and want to help code a GB-clone game for web!
puppets.run.everything

Offline Chonky Pixel

• tequila_ben
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/187855.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #2 on: August 13, 2019, 02:36:16 pm
I love the truck! Chunky and satisfying and a bit beaten-up. Great!

I'm curious as to what's going on with the wheels though, they seem to have been replaced with exhausts. I'm sure there's a reason, and I'm not a truck guy, so...

My only comments would be:

- The palette is a little pastel for my liking. Could be a taste thing. I'm craving more bold colours. But on the other hand it's a desert scene so it needs to look dusty.
 - The large piles of rocks in the background have the look of stacks of pancakes - they're all thin and layered over each other. I might like to see one or two with some height as well.

The gameboy version looks good, again apart from the rocks. I think that by overusing outlines you're 'wasting' one of your very limited colours. I may have a play in a bit, I haven't played with the Gameboy original palette before.

Offline Chonky Pixel

• tequila_ben
    • View Profile

Reply #3 on: August 13, 2019, 09:03:05 pm

An alternative rock top right. Honestly? I don't even know what I'm doing any more. My wife prefers the original (it's more cute) and outlines are very much part of the style of Gameboy games. Still, it was fun.

Offline eishiya

• DerpTree
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/28889.htm
    • eishiya
    • View Profile
    • Webcomic: Black Dram

Reply #4 on: August 13, 2019, 09:29:07 pm
I feel the new/alt rock is much better. Perhaps compromise by giving it an external outline, but no internal outlines?

Offline Chonky Pixel

• tequila_ben
    • View Profile

Reply #5 on: August 14, 2019, 07:49:54 am
I feel the new/alt rock is much better. Perhaps compromise by giving it an external outline, but no internal outlines?

Like this?

Because I just can't help myself, the outline colour is lighter around areas of lighter shade.

Offline Chonky Pixel

• tequila_ben
    • View Profile

Reply #6 on: August 14, 2019, 07:52:31 am
Now it looks a bit more obvious that the truck is lit from above but everything else is from above left... Even the shadows and motorbike suggest light direction.