AuthorTopic: maincharacter for my game  (Read 2692 times)

Offline Winston

• View Profile

maincharacter for my game

on: March 20, 2007, 03:24:08 pm
okay, well I'm new to pixelation! :)
here is my attempt at drawing the maicharacter for my game!

the arm is very stiff because it is a mouse point shooter, so it would be alot of trouble to bend it :n:
here he is without the arm

please critique my work! Thanks!
oh also I'm pretty sure I got the colors for the hair from some zelda thing that was posted here
also here is a scene from the game (which I drew ahead of time to make into an avatar)
« Last Edit: March 20, 2007, 03:30:54 pm by Winston »
It's time for racing car video games

Offline NikkiPink

• View Profile

Re: maincharacter for my game

Reply #1 on: March 20, 2007, 03:38:14 pm
Welcome to the boards! Now, your character design is ok, but there are a couple of issues with the sprite itself. First of all, too many black lines inside the piece itself, making it seem cluttered and hard to define. Also, I didn't realize that was hair until I read the post, so do something about that. The way you shaded the cloths is also very stiff and unnatural looking. Finally, you could most definitely make the arm seem more organic and animate it that way as well, it would just take more effort. So you have to decide if the effort is worth it for your game. Your avatar is good, though there are some things that could be done to the grass, and the little guy in it could use some aaing. Other then that, good start! :y:

Offline Winston

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: March 20, 2007, 07:50:55 pm
okay I will try that! also, what exactly is AAing or as I believe anti aliasing?
It's time for racing car video games

Offline Terley

• Terley is King, but he needs a new avatar.
    • View Profile

Reply #3 on: March 20, 2007, 09:40:53 pm
AAing is subtle additions that make the transition between two colours easier on the eyes. usually in a palette you have lighter to darker, when have too much of a shift in colour or shade its just harsh on the eyes so what we do is ensure we use what colours we have in our palette to keep in control.

I do think you should loose the black lines, its not colour by numbers, so dont be afraid to break out of the lines..

I made a slight suggestion, its a pretty solid character, it just needs some love and attention.
I've not got anything interesting to type here..