AuthorTopic: Attack Animations  (Read 10387 times)

Offline Rosier

• View Profile

Attack Animations

on: July 30, 2019, 04:26:46 pm

Wooooo it's been a minute. 

Been obsessed with the idea of flicking a marble with a thumb and ended up here.  Some marbles are called, "cat's eyes," due to the shape inside the sphere, so I decided to make it part of the flash effect.  It didn't quite turn out how I thought it did, but gotta go for style.

As for why there's two, the extra arm movement really isn't necessary, but why not add a bit more motion to it?

Offline daramon

• View Profile

Re: Attack Animations

Reply #1 on: July 31, 2019, 09:30:29 am
I really like the way you've handled cloth and hair movement. There's a great feeling of life and fluidity to it. It looks like a lot of love and skill went into that.

I prefer the one with the extra arm movement, but I can't help but feel that if I were playing this character in a game I'd get annoyed at waiting around for it to complete every time. I wonder if the first part of the animation (arm raise so forearm is vertical) could be made more fluid, so the impact only occurs on the flick?

Offline Rosier

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: August 02, 2019, 03:52:02 pm
I really like the way you've handled cloth and hair movement. There's a great feeling of life and fluidity to it. It looks like a lot of love and skill went into that.

I prefer the one with the extra arm movement, but I can't help but feel that if I were playing this character in a game I'd get annoyed at waiting around for it to complete every time. I wonder if the first part of the animation (arm raise so forearm is vertical) could be made more fluid, so the impact only occurs on the flick?

A quick few frames to smooth it out a bit.

I think of these as standalone animations for something like an RPG, so the lead up and superfluous motion is all just for the sake of animation.  TBH, if this was in an action game or something, it'd be a pretty quick flick; the pose is totally unnecessary, but more dramatic.

Offline daramon

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: August 02, 2019, 04:21:03 pm
I definitely get a more RPG vibe from this, yeah. I'm just an impatient action junkie.

The new one seems slower, which probably works if you're going for that drama. The sequence is itching my brain a little, though. Both the actions of "raising the arm to horizontal" and "Flicking the magic projectile" seem to cause a reasonably similar amount of displacement of clothing. While dramatic, I can't help but think that the first one takes away from the impact of the actual flick.

I'd be tempted to either remove the first "impact" from the animation and use a fluid motion all the way up until the flick, or add some particle or air displacement effects to the actual flick to give it more impact.

But... Well, see previous comment re: action junkie. I don't play games with turn-based fight sequences, mainly because they bore me to tears.

Offline MysteryMeat

• "The new alternative to q-tipping your cat!"
    • mysterymeat
    • spoiledmysterymeat
    • View Profile
    • My rad art blog!

Reply #4 on: August 02, 2019, 10:45:16 pm
Would like to suggest an alternate flow for this:

rather than hold his arm bent, instead he first holds the marble out between two fingers then quickly rotates his hand for the marble flick
PSA: use imgur
http://pixelation.org/index.php?topic=19838.0 also go suggest on my quest, cmon
MAJOR BORK TALLY: |

Offline Rosier

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: August 05, 2019, 04:17:16 pm
Would like to suggest an alternate flow for this:

rather than hold his arm bent, instead he first holds the marble out between two fingers then quickly rotates his hand for the marble flick

I also added a bit of rubberiness to the thumb.  I felt the flash covered the motion, so thought it might look better with a bit of extra oomph.

Offline daramon

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: August 06, 2019, 11:14:15 am
Just a generally positive response. It definitely looks like the character is rolling a marble or similar between fingers now. Great work.

The thumb work makes me think of LucasArts Monkey Island animations for some reason. Not a bad thing by any means!

Offline Rosier

• View Profile

Reply #7 on: September 10, 2019, 02:34:41 pm

Wanted to summon ghosts and wound up focusing on two separate motions that had different speeds.  The clutch is supposed to be slow until the grip, while the drawing is supposed to be incredibly fast.  I'm very happy with the magic circle, but I'm still wondering about the other side; I couldn't really decide what I wanted her to be doing, and that was what looked the best.

Offline Rosier

• View Profile

Reply #8 on: October 10, 2019, 03:55:58 am

Chaos.

I wanted to make something where the character summons up an energy he's forcing together rather than controlling.  It's supposed to be wild and amorphous, and I wanted to make the impact really sell.  It's not quite as powerful as I want it to be, though, but I'm kind of stuck.  I feel like it needs screen shake or something, but I don't know if that's exactly what I'm after.  The hair's also a little inconsistent, but I'm still working on that at least.

Offline MysteryMeat

• "The new alternative to q-tipping your cat!"
    • mysterymeat
    • spoiledmysterymeat
    • View Profile
    • My rad art blog!

Reply #9 on: October 10, 2019, 06:25:18 pm
I think it's more the pose when he kicks isn't back enough, you might have a better time if you set the leg up hard-vertical instead of at a 45 degree angle like it is
PSA: use imgur
http://pixelation.org/index.php?topic=19838.0 also go suggest on my quest, cmon
MAJOR BORK TALLY: |