AuthorTopic: Character and Tiles, Sci-Fi ORPG ( update )  (Read 23138 times)

Offline Gil

• Too square to be hip
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/475.htm
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio

Re: Character and Tiles, Sci-Fi ORPG

Reply #30 on: March 22, 2007, 08:33:55 am
I can't think of any classic rpg that doesn't use isometric...

Offline Panda

• 威風堂々
    • View Profile

Reply #31 on: March 22, 2007, 09:05:59 am
I can't think of any classic rpg that doesn't use isometric...

Zelda, Dragon quest, Final Fantasy etc?

Offline RhysD

• View Profile
    • RhysD.com

Reply #32 on: March 22, 2007, 11:34:21 am
A lot of the SNES RPG's like Secret of Mana etc were 3/4 view, kind of like what ZoSo is trying to achieve at the moment. Games like X-Com, Diablo etc are Isometric.

Offline ZoSo

• View Profile

Reply #33 on: March 22, 2007, 03:18:51 pm
Allright, i made the wall a bit darker and so. And there the first enemies!.. The worms, kinda like an virus.

Offline Gil

• Too square to be hip
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/475.htm
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio

Reply #34 on: March 23, 2007, 01:57:45 am
Zelda, Dragon quest, Final Fantasy etc?

Those were all isometric as far as I remember... at least all the Final Fantasies were

http://bigbluebubble.com/pixeltutorial/22.gif

Offline alkaline

• may be caustic
    • designflaw
    • awstenn
    • View Profile

Reply #35 on: March 23, 2007, 02:04:26 am
uh, what?

anyways, about the worms, there should be some way to tell that they are enemies. some may think it's just part of the background or something.

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #36 on: March 23, 2007, 02:51:00 am
GIl, you know well enough that when in pixel-art context we refer to isometric, we are talking about 3/4 perspective. Whereas the top-down angled FF or Dragon Quest style is a planometric perspective as well, so there's no confusion, nobody - thus far - has ever reffered to it as iso. Besides you, now. So it begs the question, is the confusion you're creating over nothing, helping ZoSo with his piece? Is it helping anyone?

Offline Turbo

• less than meets the eye
    • View Profile
    • Pixeljoint TurboAccount

Reply #37 on: March 23, 2007, 03:37:06 am
I agree that the perspective of the characters doesn't work/match the one used on the background. You should either do what gil said about vertically "compressing" the tiles, applying foreshortening on them, or doing that to the characters themselves.

I did an edit on the character, look at the dudes on the right. Two versions with foreshortening, the left one is with some, but i felt it needed more to fit the background, so i did the right one. You'd leave the floor tiles intact but apply this same technique to the wall tiles.

Edit: nice, just noticed i repeated Terley's post. Nhoh.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2007, 03:41:25 am by Turbo »

Offline ZoSo

• View Profile

Reply #38 on: March 23, 2007, 02:04:40 pm
I agree that the perspective of the characters doesn't work/match the one used on the background. You should either do what gil said about vertically "compressing" the tiles, applying foreshortening on them, or doing that to the characters themselves.

I did an edit on the character, look at the dudes on the right. Two versions with foreshortening, the left one is with some, but i felt it needed more to fit the background, so i did the right one. You'd leave the floor tiles intact but apply this same technique to the wall tiles.

Edit: nice, just noticed i repeated Terley's post. Nhoh.

Your edit doesn't really show like terleys :P. They look like midgets.. but i get what you were trying to show, thanks. Anyway i don't really like that perspective, i rather have the chars and tiles not match.. after all, it doesn't matter.. Look at Zelda.

Anyway Gil, FF isn't iso.. you obviously don't know what iso is.. so yea.. Anyway thanks everyone :). Ill fix the worms somehow, they were made pretty fast.. Next edit will contain some new tiles, make sure to check back when i edit my post.. in a while :D
« Last Edit: March 23, 2007, 02:06:34 pm by ZoSo »

Offline huZba

• MekaSkull
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/19396.htm
    • huzba
    • View Profile

Reply #39 on: March 23, 2007, 04:03:52 pm
Looks great, but the thing that's been bothering me a lot for a while is that small floor tile. To me it looks like it's making a really nasty moire effect or whatchamacallit. Makes the picture really hard to look at. It also swallows those worms and characters. Maybe lower the contrast on the tiles and make them bigger.