AuthorTopic: Character and Tiles, Sci-Fi ORPG ( update )  (Read 22984 times)

Offline inkspot

• View Profile

Re: Character and Tiles, Sci-Fi ORPG

Reply #20 on: March 21, 2007, 07:49:03 pm
I am not a good spriteartist, so no crit for the characters today. But apart from that, i give you some advice for the background:

Your BG looks flat. Even though Gil made it better by making the floor darker and giving more perspective, it still looks odd.
Usually the reason for this lies behind the colours. Remember, colours are the key element of the atmosphere, depth and mood. And depth is connected to perspective. So, adding the right colours you also apply the illusion of more realistic perspective.
My advice from now is that make theinner cornes casting more shadows, that means that make the lower part of walls darker etc, this really creates nice effects. But don't use the same blue on shadows, pick another tone, something warmer. You should know that cold colours usually have warm shadows and vice versa. In your piece, I suggest some brown for shadows and some lighter orange with the mix of light blue for highlights. So, basically, use more depth - closed areas (eg inner corners, etc) have less light bounciong back to the viewer, they swallow.

Offline ZoSo

• View Profile

Reply #21 on: March 21, 2007, 08:51:13 pm
I am not a good spriteartist, so no crit for the characters today. But apart from that, i give you some advice for the background:

Your BG looks flat. Even though Gil made it better by making the floor darker and giving more perspective, it still looks odd.
Usually the reason for this lies behind the colours. Remember, colours are the key element of the atmosphere, depth and mood. And depth is connected to perspective. So, adding the right colours you also apply the illusion of more realistic perspective.
My advice from now is that make theinner cornes casting more shadows, that means that make the lower part of walls darker etc, this really creates nice effects. But don't use the same blue on shadows, pick another tone, something warmer. You should know that cold colours usually have warm shadows and vice versa. In your piece, I suggest some brown for shadows and some lighter orange with the mix of light blue for highlights. So, basically, use more depth - closed areas (eg inner corners, etc) have less light bounciong back to the viewer, they swallow.

Hm.. Yea, thats a good tip. Thank you. I will see what i can do.

Edit :

I kinda used Kakis lines, i fixed some hardly noticable pixels.. Anyway here they are.

« Last Edit: March 21, 2007, 09:22:38 pm by ZoSo »

Offline Sharm

• View Profile

Reply #22 on: March 21, 2007, 10:16:46 pm
Much better!  They look more alive, and I really like the colors.

Offline ZoSo

• View Profile

Reply #23 on: March 21, 2007, 10:29:37 pm
Hehe thanks :D. And thanks to Kaki :).

Anyway here a mockup.

Offline Gil

• Too square to be hip
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/475.htm
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio

Reply #24 on: March 21, 2007, 11:41:04 pm
The little mosaic stones are still square, they should be half as high.

I suggest you read some isometric tutorials, since you're trying to use that perspective...

Offline InvaderLupus

• View Profile

Reply #25 on: March 22, 2007, 01:14:20 am
The background looks too flat. It's really difficult to tell what's part of the wall and what's part of the floor. You need to add some sort of perspective to it.

Offline Ryumaru

• to be animated soonly
    • ChrisPariano
    • View Profile

Reply #26 on: March 22, 2007, 01:16:50 am
the shadows under the knees are so big that it looks like there partially squatting

Offline Grindie

• View Profile
    • Perfect Run

Reply #27 on: March 22, 2007, 04:10:16 am
It all looks pretty cool, but the sprites don't stand out enough against the background. Maybe give them darker outlines or something?

Offline kakikukeko

• View Profile

Reply #28 on: March 22, 2007, 07:08:41 am
hey glad the edit was useful  ;)

Overall it starts to look like something!
I really like the textures on the wall.

Personally I don't really have problem with the -strange- perspective, but in this case I guess the lighting needs to help how to read the picture..

I tried again   :hehe: hope you don't mind  :-[

(this time really rushed in photoshop so  no idea of the number of extra colors needed for that.. I hope you can offer it ^^)
I didn't touch them, but I think the barels need to be more shiny, they look the same material as the floor right now...

Offline ZoSo

• View Profile

Reply #29 on: March 22, 2007, 08:02:54 am
hey glad the edit was useful  ;)

Overall it starts to look like something!
I really like the textures on the wall.

Personally I don't really have problem with the -strange- perspective, but in this case I guess the lighting needs to help how to read the picture..

I tried again   :hehe: hope you don't mind  :-[

(this time really rushed in photoshop so  no idea of the number of extra colors needed for that.. I hope you can offer it ^^)
I didn't touch them, but I think the barels need to be more shiny, they look the same material as the floor right now...

Wow thanks dude.. That really helps :D. Haha your so usefull :P. That really gives it some depht.

Anyway Gil what makes you think im trying to use iso as a perspective.. Im trying to use the same old RPG perspective all anime games have... Or most of them.