AuthorTopic: Character and Tiles, Sci-Fi ORPG ( update )  (Read 23089 times)

Offline robalan

• View Profile

Re: Working on a game :o.

Reply #10 on: March 20, 2007, 08:44:19 pm
The main problem I see with this mockup is that the wall and floor are shaded exactly the same, using exactly the same colors.  This makes the wall and floor appear to be one contiguous plane, which they obviously are not.  Using different colors (or at least different sections of the same ramp) on the wall and floor or adding "junk" along the edge of the floor could help to define the perspective.  Good luck with this; it looks good so far.
Always remember: a preposition is not something you should end a sentence with.

Offline ZoSo

• View Profile

Reply #11 on: March 20, 2007, 08:52:51 pm
The main problem I see with this mockup is that the wall and floor are shaded exactly the same, using exactly the same colors.  This makes the wall and floor appear to be one contiguous plane, which they obviously are not.  Using different colors (or at least different sections of the same ramp) on the wall and floor or adding "junk" along the edge of the floor could help to define the perspective.  Good luck with this; it looks good so far.

Yea i know :). Well i tried something else instead of changing the colours.
I kinda gave it more depht by changing some shading around the walls lower edge and made the bricks kinda.. "higher".

Offline Terley

• Terley is King, but he needs a new avatar.
    • View Profile

Reply #12 on: March 20, 2007, 09:11:39 pm
I would of thought everythings a bit too 'head on' considering we've viewing everything from above. maybe you should try different perspective for this on a whole, theres no illustion of perspective. with the character especially, he may be giving the impression hes looking down but his body just looks flat on the screen.

>>

I tried to have a go at making a higher angled character, probably doesn't help much but I personally think the perspective on this is just iffy.. and with such a tall character its gonna be hard.

hope I helped anyway
I've not got anything interesting to type here..

Offline ZoSo

• View Profile

Reply #13 on: March 20, 2007, 09:16:58 pm
I would of thought everythings a bit too 'head on' considering we've viewing everything from above. maybe you should try different perspective for this on a whole, theres no illustion of perspective. with the character especially, he may be giving the impression hes looking down but his body just looks flat on the screen.

>>

I tried to have a go at making a higher angled character, probably doesn't help much but I personally think the perspective on this is just iffy.. and with such a tall character its gonna be hard.

hope I helped anyway

Hmm.. I know that would work, but i cant really do that. Its going to be a MMORPG, therefore i would need more detail on the body and such, since there will be different kind of equipment and stuff. And i dont really like that prespective anyway so.. :O

But thanks for the edit, i like your colours, how you somewhat made it smoother and more realistic.

Offline Pownatized

• View Profile

Re: Character and Tiles, Sci-Fi ORPG

Reply #14 on: March 20, 2007, 10:07:34 pm
Well, your perspective right now seems to be almost horizontal to the ground, yet your ground tiles are from a top down view. That is the problem. The square tiles should be stretched out horizontally.

Offline Gil

• Too square to be hip
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/475.htm
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio

Reply #15 on: March 20, 2007, 11:15:24 pm

Try something like that. Your perspective is all wrong on everything...

Offline setz

• View Profile
    • splixel

Reply #16 on: March 20, 2007, 11:20:33 pm
oh wow, I was under the impression this was supposed to be a 2D platformer going from the earlier shot, my mistake. Defenitely try to give more variation on floors and walls.

you also will want to code the shadows to accomodate for walls; otherwise it will look very weird.

Offline Syn

• View Profile

Reply #17 on: March 21, 2007, 02:49:12 am

>>

hope I helped anyway

Wow, I really dig the perspective you used there Terley.  :y:

Offline kakikukeko

• View Profile

Reply #18 on: March 21, 2007, 08:35:41 am
I think Gil is right about darkening the floor, with this perspective it's quite difficult to disinguish the wall/floor otherwise..
here is an attempt at improving the anatomy.. I think I pronouced too much the forms...and that makes him more womanish.. blah..
hope it may still be an help somehow  :crazy: 

Offline ZoSo

• View Profile

Reply #19 on: March 21, 2007, 02:18:00 pm
I think Gil is right about darkening the floor, with this perspective it's quite difficult to disinguish the wall/floor otherwise..
here is an attempt at improving the anatomy.. I think I pronouced too much the forms...and that makes him more womanish.. blah..
hope it may still be an help somehow  :crazy: 

Wow that helps.. Thank you, i will study what you did and try doing something alike.

Anyway Gil, all you did was make the platforms smaller.. which isn't good since its a 32x32 tilebased engine, the colour change might help. But you didn't change the perspective.. I'm still thankfull for the edit tho, i just got home.. And I'm gonna try working on the characters and tileset a bit. I really like Kakikukekos edit :D.

Yours is pretty much perfect, so may i use your lines?
« Last Edit: March 21, 2007, 02:20:22 pm by ZoSo »