AuthorTopic: NES RPG tileset  (Read 2443 times)

Offline Marscaleb

• Marscaleb
    • View Profile
    • Personal Website

NES RPG tileset

on: July 28, 2019, 12:48:38 am
Hello folks, I would like to share some RPG tiles I've been working on for some critique and feedback.
I welcome all feedback, positive and negative, so by all means tell me everything you think is wrong.

I've made this with two goals in mind: One, matching the limitations of the NES.  Two, being good enough that I could use them in a commercial project, that is, that I could make a game with these and sell it.  So judge them to that criteria.

For this overworld, I copied the layout of another game so I could get a good example to use them in without spending the time to craft a whole world.
There are a few things I don't like, but I need to see if they are things other people notice or are bothered by rather than just something that gets me because I've stared at it so long.

And here are the character sprites I've been working on.
I left a couple that are early/alternate versions so I could get some feedback on them.
The character in the top left is just a "blank" that I can draw over.

Offline eishiya

• http://pixeljoint.com/p/28889.htm
    • View Profile
    • Website

Re: NES RPG tileset

Reply #1 on: July 28, 2019, 03:17:54 am
The world and characters both look good! I particularly like the forest tiles, you got a nice amount of variation in there for so few tiles!

However, I worry that the sand, swamps, and especially the water might be too busy/high-contrast and make any characters on them hard to read.

Offline surt

• Meat by-product
    • not_surt
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/2254.htm
    • View Profile
    • Uninhabitant

Reply #2 on: July 28, 2019, 06:43:06 am
Tried making silhouettes more consistent by adding outlines to most upper edges.
Remove outlines from bottom edges so objects appear attached to the ground rather than floating above it.
Rounded off hills.
Tried to soften dunes,

Offline Marscaleb

• Marscaleb
    • View Profile
    • Personal Website

Reply #3 on: July 28, 2019, 04:27:37 pm
Tried making silhouettes more consistent by adding outlines to most upper edges.
Remove outlines from bottom edges so objects appear attached to the ground rather than floating above it.
Rounded off hills.
Tried to soften dunes,

Woooow!
I definitely like the color changes you made to the water; I'm certainly going to steal that.
I also really love the way you drew tufts of grass on the bottoms of the hills; I'm probably going to take that too.
The marsh though, I mean it looks good, but it also kinda looks like farmland in the square spot.  (Works really well in the stringy section below, so I guess I'd just make it look more stringy.)  But maybe I'll work with it; I'm not certain if I want to actually have poison marsh in my game.
You've done a great job softening out the trees, too.  That has even freed up another color in the palette, by the looks of it.  I could use that in the marsh redesign.