AuthorTopic: Tiles [WIP]  (Read 6216 times)

Offline Opacus

• Entangled
    • View Profile
    • www.jimjansen.net

Tiles [WIP]

on: March 19, 2007, 11:03:46 am
Hey guys,

I've been working on some game tiles again. I finaly wanna try pushin through this and finaly finish a fuckin game, heh.
I took a real good look at Henk Nieborg's work for this, for the technique's the colours, and just for inspiration.
I also took a look at alot of mountains, rocks etc on Google for reference (No specific reference used)
I'm quite happy with it so far. It needs alot more stuff, like a back layer to fill up the depth, and more diversity in objects to
get rid of the monotomy. I tried alot of big leaves, like big jungle-ish leaves, but they all failed, so I will need help for an aproach on that.
And now without any further adue:

So, some vegitation on the rocks done with some simple dithering, a few crystals which I hope I didn't screw up, and a grass tile that just looks a bit bland to me.
I am pretty happy with the rocks, though.

Crit away...

Offline Xion

• View Profile
    • FourbitFriday

Re: Tiles [WIP]

Reply #1 on: March 19, 2007, 07:16:45 pm
Whoa, very awesome rocks. I'm not so sure about the grass though. I mean, it's not that common (at least not that I know of) for grass to grow so evenly carpeted out of a stone bed like that. Maybe some patches here, some tufts there, but I don't think that grass would belong in such density on a tileset like this. These tiles look more suited for like, a mountain or something. For the grass tiles, I'd say have them grow out of some lush brown soil. I guess what I'm trying to say is that those rocks would not be beneficial for the growth of plants with "big jungle-ish leaves." I say you just save these for a mountain and make some new tiles for a jungle or forest or what-have-you.

Offline Sharm

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: March 19, 2007, 08:15:57 pm
The crystals are good, but they don't seem to match the style of the rocks.  They're a little too flat, and the outlines are harsh.  I agree with Xion about the grass, just a few tufts growing out of the cracks will look a lot better.  I also think the moss didn't quite work.  If it was near a water source or on all of the rocks it might though.

Offline abzdragon

• cupcake unicorn.
    • View Profile
    • Fishbowl Designs

Reply #3 on: March 19, 2007, 08:29:27 pm
I like the moss but I think it needs to be more evenly dispersed instead of just one patch. Sweet rocks though.

Offline Syn

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: March 19, 2007, 09:27:05 pm
Nice rocks like everyone says, but for the grass growing on the side, I would follow ridges in the rock to create the base for the plants. Then either draw small blades of grass growing from there of dropping on the sides and down.

Offline Saokymo

• View Profile
    • DA Archive

Reply #5 on: March 19, 2007, 10:21:13 pm
The crystals look odd because it's the only piece with blue and purple colors. They'd work great for an underground set with similar colors, but somehow it just doesn't quite jive with the warm surface colors. Also, the crystals seem to be growing in more or less random directions from each other. I'm no expert in crystallography, but I'm pretty sure that most crystal-clusters grow from a single base point. Try replacing the two center crystals with a single larger one for a 5-pointed fan shape.
As for the grass, I think some roots creeping into the bedrock would be a nice touch--something to visually anchor the plants. Overlapping some of the rocks with blades of grass would add depth and clarify that the grass grows over the rocks rather than just on top of them.

Offline abzdragon

• cupcake unicorn.
    • View Profile
    • Fishbowl Designs

Reply #6 on: March 20, 2007, 12:11:37 am
Oddly enough I actually pixelled some crystals a while ago for someone's project. They aren't very good D: but the positioning is based off an actual picture. Maybe it will help? ;D
http://abzdragon.roas.net/crystal.gif

Offline Opacus

• Entangled
    • View Profile
    • www.jimjansen.net

Reply #7 on: March 20, 2007, 10:08:34 am
Xion: I agree with you, I think I'm gonna keep the moss because I am happy with that. Maybe I'll just add a few pieces of grass instead of a "carpet" :P
And thanks for calling the rocks awesome ^^

Sharm: I agree, and there will be water, that's what I'm stuck on now :P I'll get back on the crystals too.

Abz: That could be yes, I'll have to look up a reference for that. And thanks ^^

Syn: Thanks, and I think I'm just gonna scrap the grass for the moment, regarding Xion's post, he's got a point.

Sao: Love the roots idea, I'll work on it.

Abz again: Ah, yes, thanks for the reference, those show the depth I'm missing :)

And now this:
I don't know what to do with it! I keep making the water look like ice...
Any suggestions, edits?

Offline Saokymo

• View Profile
    • DA Archive

Reply #8 on: March 20, 2007, 04:04:06 pm
Water seeps into every available nook and cranny, similar to what you've done on the left border-ridge. Pick out more of the cracks between rocks and drop a couple of water pixels in to extend the pebbly feel all the way across--kind of like roots for grass, but more subtle. Lowering the waterline by a point or two would emphasize the border-ridges more and add to the feel as well.

Offline Atrophy

• View Profile

Reply #9 on: March 21, 2007, 11:07:07 pm
I'v never pixeled water... and I havent pixeled at all in such a long time, so I thought why not try. Im actualy sorta not ashamed of this.. but anyways this is how I would make it not look like ice.