AuthorTopic: The Delta Oddysey  (Read 9973 times)

Offline Sherman Gill

• View Profile

Re: The Delta Oddysey

Reply #10 on: March 21, 2007, 07:46:52 am
The person on the far left looks nice. Quite nice. However, the dude next to them... Not so much. You can't really tell what's going on with his shirt, like he fill it up with packing peanuts, and his hair makes his head look misshapen.
Oh yes naked women are beautiful
But I like shrimps more haha ;)

Offline Vale

• View Profile

Reply #11 on: March 21, 2007, 08:33:17 pm
I actually really like the new sprites. The monsters look fantastic. The only crits I have is move the eyes down before you go any further and maybe expand the hole in the dark monster's face. Right now it looks like he ist going to tip over.

Offline AlienQuark

• be triangular
    • View Profile

Reply #12 on: March 22, 2007, 11:41:08 pm
Thanks for all the support guys, but now I'm at what seems like a dead end: I SUCK REAL BAD AT TILING  :yell:

This is what I have, the tree is a large set piece for one of the scenes I've had stuck in my head for about 8 or 9 months now. It's far from done, but what I need help on is advice on what to do about making the tiles look almost painted. As well, I need advice on how to go about making them less flattish, and basically everything. I want them to kinda look like they were painted in acrylic. Any thoughts?

Offline Faktablad

• grow
    • View Profile
    • Couchpixel

Reply #13 on: March 23, 2007, 02:51:27 am
The tree is really fantastic, it has a lot of character.  The only thing is that it looks like it's being viewed from the side.  It's because the bottoms of the leaf clusters are flat lines.

Offline flaber

• Captain.
    • View Profile

Reply #14 on: March 23, 2007, 06:55:12 am
im really enjoying the style of the characters right now.
very interesting and i see alot of potential for this.

about the grass tiles.
I noticed you have 4 tiles for the basic of basic type of grass tile.
For this type of tile because you are only using 2 colours, and it is the trampled on/flattened grass the texture is minimal and easy to re-tile, using only the 1 tile.

you seem to be using alot of checker dithering on the flat grass too.
for texturing something like this you need to keep in mind the perspective. Too many vertical lines creates depth and height in the grass (which you dont seem to have anyway.) alot of diagonal can also create abit of volume.
im assuming this is the flat trampled grass, so Id suggest using more horizontal lines, with just a bit of dithering here and there.
your grass seems very busy, when it should be calm.

if you are interested in creating more scruffy grass, and more depth to it, add in an extra colour or 2 to create the difference in light depth/reflection, and then use more vertical lines.

right now im tinkering with isometrics as well, for a possible project.
so heres an example of some grass - that may help:

progressivly the longer the grass and more scruffier you want, the more colours you add / greater contrast, and longer vertical lines.

but my main point, would be to lessen the 'business' of your grass, by reducing some of the checkerboard dither.

hopefully that somewhat helps
« Last Edit: March 23, 2007, 07:02:58 am by flaber »

Offline Ben2theEdge

• I'ma drink mah coffee!
    • View Profile
    • My Deviantart Gallery

Reply #15 on: March 23, 2007, 01:26:29 pm
I really really like the stylistic choices you made with the anatomy/proportions/etc. The only part I'm not really diggin' is the head which is maybe a little too ball-shaped for my taste. Also the first two shades of the humans' skin are barely destinguishable and a lot of your nice little details are getting lost. But all in all I'm lovin' it so far and can't wait to see more!
I mild from suffer dislexia.

Offline AlienQuark

• be triangular
    • View Profile

Reply #16 on: March 23, 2007, 01:56:28 pm
Flaber: thank you SO much for the help, that has helped. One thing though, is that I'm pretty much thinking about scrapping the "realistic" style of anything, and want to go for a more painted, cel-shaded look for the tiles. No subtleties, all bold,crisp lines. Any thoughts on that? (anyone for that matter)

Thanks everyone else for the comments! I'd like to update this more today, but sadly, I have essays to start writing  :n: . Hopefully sometime later in the day or something.

Offline Faceless

• View Profile

Reply #17 on: March 23, 2007, 02:36:08 pm
Look at Boktai tiles then.
They pretty much nailed the clean simplistic style you're describing.

Offline crab2selout.png

• lost my left-most pixel in the war
    • View Profile

Reply #18 on: March 23, 2007, 06:42:32 pm
I remember Conceit/Camus posted a ton of boktai screens in a thread in the general section. I think it was in the favourite pixel art thread.

Offline flaber

• Captain.
    • View Profile

Reply #19 on: March 23, 2007, 06:46:43 pm
hmmmm

if you want the cell-shaded look..
id suggest dropping all texture, and just outline ing whatever you want.
made another example, not entirely sure its what you are looking for though.

The base tile is just a solid colour (should be easy to tile :P)
however, since it is just a plain tile, you are going to need to create other tiles to compliment it now.

I created 2 tiles with grass blades on them.
They might seem abit random with positing... but with one tile i had the large clumps on either side of the tile, then little bit on the top and bottom, as well as only 2 of the diagonals.
The other tile i have the large clumps on the top and bottom, and then just alittle bit on either side, and the opposite 2 diagonals.
This helps so that when you tile, all areas are covered once you start putting your tiles together, instead of leaving large open areas.
Somewhat helps to hide the grid too, since your spreading out grass blades over the edges (where the large clumps arnt, you are creating blades when you put the edges together).

I didnt use any highlights, since i was only outline ing the grass, rather than colouring it.
i also through in a possible idea of a bush.

With this style though you cant rely solely on the pattern of the grass, because, well there really isnt a pattern. So for this, you have to create more varied tiles such as bushes, or flowers, or other types of grass blades. Dont fill the whole tile, just add an accent to change it up.

perhaps maby that helps??

a good source you should check is, www.dofus.com