AuthorTopic: Mockup for a personal project.  (Read 3557 times)

Offline arttxel

• https://twitter
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/38271.htm
    • https://www.deviantart.com/ivenmiller
    • View Profile

Mockup for a personal project.

on: July 23, 2019, 04:31:47 am
hello guys ;D

Ok, lets talk about what i have to show.  :-[
im working on some sort of personal project on my spare time, no big deal just to make myself inspired. :lol: :y:

The ones above is the previews version. :)
My issues is about the color scheme i used some pallet from pallet list(lospec) but edited a lot and totally lost the name :P also i'm not sure about the style of the character's.

C&C are welcome, thanks for read this.  :-[

Offline crab2selout.png

• lost my left-most pixel in the war
    • View Profile

Re: Mockup for a personal project.

Reply #1 on: July 23, 2019, 12:51:51 pm
Cute sprites. They channel that 'X of Mana' series vibe. I think it's the hair that reminds me the most.

I like the palette, but it could use a few tweaks. The biggest problem for me is contrast/values. It feels like the ceiling, floors, and walls are all demanding equal attention. It's not too bad on the walls or floors, but it strains your eyes a bit when its like that on the ceiling. I think it'd be better if those polka dots were a lighter shade of grey much closer in value to the ceiling background colour. You might even hue shift away from the grey used on the walls to visually separate it more.

I'd even try something similar on the floor. The value range is a little too close to the sprites which means the sprites don't pop/read as well as they could.

I think you misplaced your treasure chest as it looks like it intrudes by a pixel on the tiles below it.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2019, 02:33:38 pm by crab2selout.png »

Offline daramon

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: July 23, 2019, 04:54:56 pm
Love the sprites, you've got a lot of character into those few pixels.

My eyes get a bit freaked out by the transition between the ceilings and the floors. Depending on where I look the ceiling is either one unit higher than the floor or on the same level.

I (very) quickly added the edges you placed next to wall units around the other areas that the ceiling meets the floor. To my eyes this looks a lot more 3D. It's still not quite ideal though, and the points in the previous comment will probably help as well.

What is happening with that chest? Is is embedded in the wall, or is it incredibly narrow, or is it mounted on the wall about a foot from the floor? ;)

I feel like it should be taking up much more of the square tile it's placed on. Just moving it down a lot basically. It could be bigger in that case, too.

Edit: I see what's going on with the chest. I thought the floor behind it was a continuation of the wall from either side of it. That kinda says something about the color hues and values. In that case it is a pixel or so too far down...
« Last Edit: July 23, 2019, 09:38:35 pm by daramon »

Offline daramon

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: July 23, 2019, 04:56:39 pm
For some reason the shadows you've put under sprites make my brain think they're levitating a couple of pixels.

Could just be me, but what would happen if the shadows were off to the right side instead?

Offline Curly

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: July 23, 2019, 11:24:10 pm
You could improve the readability doing something like this

Offline Kiana

• Artist & Game Dev
    • kianamosser
    • View Profile
    • itch.io page

Reply #5 on: July 24, 2019, 05:02:09 am
Nice work so far! Your character sprites have a charming classic RPG feel.  :)

I agree with Curly - there’s too much detail drawing the viewer’s eye away from the important areas. Reducing the detail in areas distant from the walkable parts of the level and increasing contrast between the two areas to visually separate them more really helps to bring focus to what’s important and reduces eye strain.
To achieve mastery is not to be able to work without thinking; rather it is to have total control of one's choices.

Offline daramon

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: July 24, 2019, 03:40:20 pm
I'd quite like to see some shadows on one or other side of the vertical walls. That may have an affect on other elements... I'll have a play later.

Offline daramon

• View Profile

Reply #7 on: July 30, 2019, 05:02:44 pm

I *very* quickly added some shadows coming off the walls. The choice of direction is arbitrary.

It's rough as you like, but to my eyes at least it provides more 3D information.

Offline Keops

• RibsChirino
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/189965.htm
    • View Profile
    • Behance portfolio

Reply #8 on: July 30, 2019, 08:24:15 pm
These have a lot of personality and I love the look of everything. I was going to suggest upping the contrast and adding darker tiles around the maps but Curly already made a good edit to show that!

More info about the project? It looks like something I'd love to play :P

See you around!
Hearthstead: Art thread - Website - Twitter

COMMISSIONS OPEN! Behance portfolio