AuthorTopic: Mech.  (Read 13915 times)

Offline Fool

• View Profile
    • Fool's House

Mech.

on: March 19, 2007, 04:40:38 am
I guess it time for me to learn something about coloring.

Here is a dummy.

Colours looks boring enough, pretty generic, most likely way too many.. I'll appreciated any suggestions.=)

Update: Got fixed some noted issues in overall design. Thanks everyone=)

Take 1. Is it any better?
« Last Edit: March 19, 2007, 08:35:10 am by Fool »

Offline AdamAtomic

• natural born medic
    • View Profile
    • Adam Atomic

Re: Mech.

Reply #1 on: March 19, 2007, 04:48:15 am
I dunno I think this looks pretty sweet - you could probably shave a few colors here and there but the detail and smoothness are pretty great.  The lineart has a few perspective issues it looks like, and the main thing I think you should work on is varying your colors on your far planes.  Right now the back arm and back leg are fighting with the front arm and front leg because all of the limbs are so excellently shaded - if you dull or darken the far limbs it should help this character read a lot better I think.  Awesome start!

Offline Pownatized

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: March 19, 2007, 04:49:03 am
Heh.  That's really cool.

I think a little more shine and highlighs would do him good, unless you're going for an old/battered look. Also, the thing in his head is a gear, right? It looks kind of soft, you should make it have more defined shapes- I mean, more like the gears on his legs.

Offline Kallock

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: March 19, 2007, 04:52:25 am
The perspective of his left foot (Our right) seems to be a tad-off.  The gear (assuming gears are to mostly be in the shape of a circle) in his head doesn't look very round, more like an oval.  But I love it, although not too big of a fan of the ski-like-feet.  Hope you dont mind the crit on your linework ^_^.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2007, 04:54:17 am by Kallock »

Offline rougewisp

• the other side of the pillow
    • View Profile

Reply #4 on: March 19, 2007, 04:55:35 am
I think the gearhawk is pretty obviously that, although I guess halving the amount of teeth wouldn't be the end of the world.

Maybe the (robot's) left arm could be angled up a little more to distinguish it.

Also, is his crotch a wheel or a hose or something?
for great justice

Offline Froli

• Dragon Highlord
    • View Profile

Reply #5 on: March 19, 2007, 04:58:17 am
Maybe putting some thickness on the key would make the perspective better? The arm also seems to be bended in an awkward position. . <edit, ugh rougewisp is fast enough to point that out xD>

« Last Edit: March 19, 2007, 05:15:16 am by Froli »

Offline AdamAtomic

• natural born medic
    • View Profile
    • Adam Atomic

Reply #6 on: March 19, 2007, 05:13:53 am

The way windup toys usually work is you turn a crank, which in turn tightens a coil of metal - when you let go of the crank/key, the coil gradually loosens as it pushes back against a series of gears, which enables the toy to walk/roll etc.  the wheel/hose is that coil of metal; i didn't have a problem noticing what it was but i'm kind of a nerd, so...

Offline Rydin

• ...zzzt...
    • @thickDumps
    • View Profile
    • thickDumps

Reply #7 on: March 19, 2007, 05:20:50 am

(got it from 19 to 13 colors...)

Here's my attempt to steer you towards more effective color use.  The most basic way you can experiment with color is by using hue shifting, and move each darker value slightly towards a purple or violet hue.  Messing around with this should get your creative juices flowing about color usage.

By the way, neat robot.  I love the gears and the wind key.  My only critique would be the 45 degree lines on the claws--but an otherwise nice piece.  Keep pixelling, and good luck with your journey through proper color usage!   ;):y:
Man cannot remake himself without suffering for he is both the marble and the sculptor.

Offline Fool

• View Profile
    • Fool's House

Reply #8 on: March 19, 2007, 05:48:53 am
I dunno I think this looks pretty sweet - you could probably shave a few colors here and there but the detail and smoothness are pretty great.  The lineart has a few perspective issues it looks like, and the main thing I think you should work on is varying your colors on your far planes.  Right now the back arm and back leg are fighting with the front arm and front leg because all of the limbs are so excellently shaded - if you dull or darken the far limbs it should help this character read a lot better I think.  Awesome start!
Yes, that  make sense, I'll take detailing  down.=)Thanks

Heh.  That's really cool.

I think a little more shine and highlighs would do him good, unless you're going for an old/battered look. Also, the thing in his head is a gear, right? It looks kind of soft, you should make it have more defined shapes- I mean, more like the gears on his legs.
That gear wheel is meant to be a bronze, looks like i need to work on that too untill it becomes one . Thanks .

I think the gearhawk is pretty obviously that, although I guess halving the amount of teeth wouldn't be the end of the world.

Maybe the (robot's) left arm could be angled up a little more to distinguish it.

Yes, that is a coil, since that piece would be animated i do not worry to much on it's readability - it'll be obvious, I hope.
The perspective of his left foot (Our right) seems to be a tad-off.  The gear (assuming gears are to mostly be in the shape of a circle) in his head doesn't look very round, more like an oval.  But I love it, although not too big of a fan of the ski-like-feet.  Hope you dont mind the crit on your linework ^_^.

That leg is lifted up, i should put a shadow to state it.=) Gear would be round if it showing from side view i guess.
Perhaps you could crit anything, and though colours are my main concern why not to fix all other thing along the way.=)
The feet are simply sewing mashine's feeders.=)

(got it from 19 to 13 colors...)

Here's my attempt to steer you towards more effective color use.  The most basic way you can experiment with color is by using hue shifting, and move each darker value slightly towards a purple or violet hue.  Messing around with this should get your creative juices flowing about color usage.

By the way, neat robot.  I love the gears and the wind key.  My only critique would be the 45 degree lines on the claws--but an otherwise nice piece.  Keep pixelling, and good luck with your journey through proper color usage!   ;):y:

Thanks for taking you time for edit, it just...  looks a bit too aggressive. Well, a lot.=) I've read hue shifting thread, just can't make it work=) Thanks=)
« Last Edit: March 19, 2007, 05:51:38 am by Fool »

Offline Squirrelsquid

• Nuts!?
    • View Profile

Reply #9 on: March 19, 2007, 05:59:56 am
this looks pretty awesome already! I'd agree on the readability of the claw-thingies... also, for the foots, I think a "V" -form stance is commonly used in Mech drawings, and would suit your robot best, IMO.(like in this gundam artwork http://www.mahq.net/MECHA/gundam/zz/msz-010.jpg ) also, something seems of about the wind-key at it's back. There's a highlight on (lower)right, although the form suggests that it shouldn't be there...

still pretty impressive!

EDIT: dang... to late with my reply...
« Last Edit: March 19, 2007, 06:01:39 am by Squirrelsquid »