AuthorTopic: Mech.  (Read 13980 times)

Offline Fool

• View Profile
    • Fool's House

Re: Mech.

Reply #10 on: March 19, 2007, 06:48:16 am
this looks pretty awesome already! I'd agree on the readability of the claw-thingies... also, for the foots, I think a "V" -form stance is commonly used in Mech drawings, and would suit your robot best, IMO.(like in this gundam artwork http://www.mahq.net/MECHA/gundam/zz/msz-010.jpg ) also, something seems of about the wind-key at it's back. There's a highlight on (lower)right, although the form suggests that it shouldn't be there...

still pretty impressive!

EDIT: dang... to late with my reply...

It's just mech toy - should just looks sort off funny.=)

Offline Sherman Gill

• View Profile

Reply #11 on: March 19, 2007, 07:11:35 am
Just because you haven't been able to get hue-shifting to work well doesn't mean you should give up on it.
Most programs besides paint have on-the-fly pallet editing, what I do is make a boring single hue color ramp and then tweak it till it looks nice and interesting.

But seriously, simply giving up because your first attempts haven't worked seems kinda lame to me.
Oh yes naked women are beautiful
But I like shrimps more haha ;)

Offline Fool

• View Profile
    • Fool's House

Reply #12 on: March 19, 2007, 07:18:43 am
Just because you haven't been able to get hue-shifting to work well doesn't mean you should give up on it.
Most programs besides paint have on-the-fly pallet editing, what I do is make a boring single hue color ramp and then tweak it till it looks nice and interesting.

But seriously, simply giving up because your first attempts haven't worked seems kinda lame to me.
I don't give up just yet=). That's why i post it here, hoping   finally to understand ( i am slow, i know=) how those hues work together.
Perhaps, I could tweak but thats more like testing my luck.=)
« Last Edit: March 19, 2007, 07:48:47 am by Fool »

Offline Fool

• View Profile
    • Fool's House

Reply #13 on: March 19, 2007, 08:46:36 am
Take 1. Is it any better?

Offline Andy Tran

• View Profile
    • The City of Andy Tran

Reply #14 on: March 19, 2007, 09:37:13 am
That looks really awesome. For my edit, I changed the face of the head into a japanese style robot head. The face was kinda like those old school kitchen working type robots so I did mine that military type.

Offline Fool

• View Profile
    • Fool's House

Reply #15 on: March 19, 2007, 02:42:50 pm
That looks really awesome. For my edit, I changed the face of the head into a japanese style robot head. The face was kinda like those old school kitchen working type robots so I did mine that military type.

Cool touch.=)
I'm not planing to change design though since this one and a dozen of others will be a part of earlytech, belt driven machine (based on dumb inventions) world.=)

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #16 on: March 19, 2007, 03:13:48 pm
Andy that's useless and awful. Edit to help someone make his art better, not to put a visor on a robot.

I think the hue shifting your tried yourself, fool, is excellent. Green works for it well, and it's a very nice sprite.

Offline Froli

• Dragon Highlord
    • View Profile

Reply #17 on: March 19, 2007, 03:37:24 pm
Woah, now that you placed a shadow underneath the robot's legs..the stance makes sense now. The new colors looks great too.

Okay one last thing, I think the other arm should be shortened and legs <like the one I edited with the blue line> by few pixels and put a little bump in the end <circular shoulder?>

Anyway, great job as always Fool.

-Edit-

Okay, from the original image that was posted, I notice that the right side of the robot's seems longer and bigger <arms and legs>. But it should be the other way around. The side facing us should be bigger in emphasis <from the 2 point perspective>

Now if you are using isometric view as a guideline they should at least have an equal length. This is just my observation. I hope somebody with more technical knowledge will explain this further or correct me if I'm wrong. :P
« Last Edit: March 19, 2007, 04:25:55 pm by Froli »

Offline Fool

• View Profile
    • Fool's House

Reply #18 on: March 19, 2007, 04:41:30 pm
Thanks, Helm.=)
Lucky guess took away a chance to understand my choices. Oh, well...

Good points, Froli, thanks.=) I'll fix it up.

Offline ndchristie

• View Profile

Reply #19 on: March 19, 2007, 04:50:25 pm
just lovely.  I really cannot offer critique on this, except to maybe smooth out some fo that dither to help the metal feel.....but even this is unnecessary and it might make it read bad were to to smooth that stuff out.
A mistake is a mistake.
The same mistake twice is a bad habit.
The same mistake three or more times is a motif.