AuthorTopic: Drakes work  (Read 7384 times)

Offline Drake

• View Profile

Drakes work

on: March 18, 2007, 12:33:26 pm
Line Art; Update-

Here's a little project im doing at the moment a little set of Necromancers whcih is currently in progress of making.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2007, 05:48:51 pm by Drake »

Offline Ryan Cordel

• Hi! I'm Daisy!
    • View Profile

Re: Drakes work

Reply #1 on: March 18, 2007, 12:48:06 pm
Lineart could be better with less colors. Second work could be better if it wasn't JPG.

Offline philipptr

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: March 18, 2007, 01:00:26 pm
work on your shading, both pieces seem completly pillow shaded. also it seems like you use a lot more colors than you would need to (can't check how many since it's jpeg)

Offline Drake

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: March 18, 2007, 01:02:45 pm
Meh Photobucket doesn't like bitmaps, it's changed into a jpeg, it used to do that i just forgot to save it in png.

And the eye has three shades

Offline philipptr

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: March 18, 2007, 01:11:18 pm
And the eye has three shades

??? actually when only counting without any editor I can see it has ~7 shades of grey (including black and white) ~4 shades of green and 2 or 3 shades of red.

Offline Stwelin

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: March 18, 2007, 01:14:12 pm
photobucket? the entire internet doesn't like bitmaps. It's not a web format.

--- onto something more relevent ---

The robot's lines could be made more interesting, I would suggest that you use it as a practice piece to refine your coloring and lining skill, it's a good size to start out on. Try er-working the shading, right now everything just looks a little smudged. Take a look at some other robot pixel arts, i think there is a video in (http://www.wayofthepixel.net/pixelation/index.php?topic=2144.0) this thread that has to do with robots, or a robot, at least. Try to stray away from an all grey palette (that is, until you become very adept in pixel art, then move onto photography in your later years, and take all black and white photos as a stylistic choice and everyone thinks you're really 'deep'.) *AHEM* anyway, yeah, you have so many grays in such a small area that it just looks like the gradient tool in photoshop. Try to pick about 3 shades and then define areas so there is more of a sense of volume to each individual 'chunk' of the robot.

The pose could be more intreguin, maybe seperating his legs and having him face the viewr more, and turning his head slightly would make it more dramatic. If you look you can find sprite sheets of all the Megaman bosses, they have some really dynamic poses that would be good to study.

Best of luck.

Offline Drake

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: March 18, 2007, 01:21:02 pm
photobucket? the entire internet doesn't like bitmaps. It's not a web format.

--- onto something more relevent ---

The robot's lines could be made more interesting, I would suggest that you use it as a practice piece to refine your coloring and lining skill, it's a good size to start out on. Try er-working the shading, right now everything just looks a little smudged. Take a look at some other robot pixel arts, i think there is a video in (http://www.wayofthepixel.net/pixelation/index.php?topic=2144.0) this thread that has to do with robots, or a robot, at least. Try to stray away from an all grey palette (that is, until you become very adept in pixel art, then move onto photography in your later years, and take all black and white photos as a stylistic choice and everyone thinks you're really 'deep'.) *AHEM* anyway, yeah, you have so many grays in such a small area that it just looks like the gradient tool in photoshop. Try to pick about 3 shades and then define areas so there is more of a sense of volume to each individual 'chunk' of the robot.

The pose could be more intreguin, maybe seperating his legs and having him face the viewr more, and turning his head slightly would make it more dramatic. If you look you can find sprite sheets of all the Megaman bosses, they have some really dynamic poses that would be good to study.

Best of luck.

Thanks for all the feedback guys.

I've seena Megaman Generic Sheet on www.panelmonkey.org which made me look around  the internet and things.

Should i try the grey's in a blue/silver type colour?

And also i'll see what i can do with it, as Setz made in for Lineart Exchange i'll atempted it, i'm also more used to the bigger one such as micro heroes.

Might post a few later on though.

Offline Malor

• Masquerading as a black bear.
    • View Profile

Reply #7 on: March 18, 2007, 01:23:20 pm
The lineart's shading is right, but the colors are very boring, use light low saturation reds, blues, greens, and mix that with greys, it comes out with a better effect...sometimes. They eye is alright But your colors are very saturated, and never save as a jpg.
Quote from: Adarias
I'm not going to pretend this is a small task either; certainly none of us here can claim to have accomplished it.  it's the realm of masters.  still, it's what we all have to try for.

Offline Stwelin

• View Profile

Reply #8 on: March 18, 2007, 01:25:16 pm
Well, there are a lot of ways to make something appear 'silver' rather than grey. One of it's properties is that it's reflective, so it's appearance actually has to do more with it's surroundings. (well, more than most other materials, in any case)

For example, the hue of the darkest shade could be blue, but the lightest shade could have sort of a green tinge to it, and the midtone could have a sliiiight hint of purple... it really all depends on the light. Especially with metallics, you just have to think about how the light plays on it and experiment around with the hues until you find something pleasing.

Offline Drake

• View Profile

Reply #9 on: March 18, 2007, 01:35:55 pm
Can nenver be perfect first time  :P