Critique > Pixel Art

How to Handle Instance Animation on Moving Charackter? (Solved)

(1/3) > >>

appo:
I want to get into Pixel Art&Animation for Gaming in Combination with Learning Unity so i am new with all that Stuff.

The Question i have right now is about how do you handle/structure a Instance Animation which happens during a already Triggered Animation. For example the Robot below. Lets say i triggered the Jump and the Animation happens but during the Jump i fire the Weapons which should get animated too (currently no example). How exaclty do i have to structure that to have a gun fire Animation when i want to shoot while being in all these different Char Animation States?

Update - Original Size Version and Sheet

Kiana:
If you want the guns to move independently from the rest of the sprite, then I recommend separating them onto a different layer and animating the "firing" animation (like recoil or rotating the guns) separately from the jump. When you implement the sprites into the game, just parent the motion of the guns to the body so they move together as though they're connected. Bullets, projectiles, or particle effects should be their own sprites as well so their frames and motion don't have to depend on anything else.

appo:

--- Quote from: Kiana on July 15, 2019, 10:33:38 pm ---If you want the guns to move independently from the rest of the sprite, then I recommend separating them onto a different layer and animating the "firing" animation (like recoil or rotating the guns) separately from the jump. When you implement the sprites into the game, just parent the motion of the guns to the body so they move together as though they're connected. Bullets, projectiles, or particle effects should be their own sprites as well so their frames and motion don't have to depend on anything else.

--- End quote ---
makes sense, thx for the tip!
i knew about the separate projectile stuff but i was not so sure with how to handle chars.
this example from metalslug which i digged up today shows what you mean. the legs for the jump and walk are separate from the upper body parts to do what i want to do.

i guess things like the little idle animation up and down of the guns can be then made in unity ect. by changing the height of the separate "container" or do i need there separate pixel frames too with different heights?

ps: does the reply captcha thing goes away after a period of time being a user here? kinda...annoying...

eishiya:
The captcha should go away, I can't remember the last time I saw one.

If the only change is the position of the gun sprite, then you might as well use one sprite and just change the gun anchor in the character's animation, so that the gun moves with them. That also would make it easier to have multiple guns or multiple characters who might hold the gun, since you wouldn't have to animate all their bobs :D

daramon:
I love the character!

The landing looks a little soft though. I'd expect more impact for something that looks that heavy. It seems like it's gently easing into place when it hits the ground.

Either play the landing frames much more quickly than they are right now, or remove a few. Also an exaggerated bounce of the central section on landing would help convey the feeling of weight and inertia.

Unfortunately the original you posted looks like it's blown up in size, so I can't make an edit. For future reference, if you post artwork at the original 1-to-1 pixel ratio then we can click on the image to expand it to taste.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version