AuthorTopic: [WIP][Feedback] Submarine interior - Base  (Read 9121 times)

Offline eishiya

• http://pixeljoint.com/p/28889.htm
    • View Profile
    • Website

Re: [WIP][Feedback] Submarine interior - Base

Reply #10 on: July 20, 2019, 01:07:15 pm
You're using solid colours for wood elsewhere, does that not look good enough for the wooden panelling?

The scene feels very open/spacious, which isn't what I tend to associate with submarines. The details are well-done and interesting to look at, but the overall layout of the place feels a little boring and drags the scene down. It's also all very regular and tidy, there's no sense of organic use or messiness/convenience. Will the player be walking around here, or is it more of a menu? If there's no collision to worry about, or if you can have collision that doesn't follow a grid, consider not having all the tables being parallel, have them at odd angles, perhaps curving around the exterior shape.

Offline Jedemy

• View Profile

Reply #11 on: July 20, 2019, 01:52:45 pm
There won't be any collision, it will be just a menu. When a player select the area, it will be animated such as computers goes on lights appear in laboratory tubes or chest is opening etc.

I just did add another tube to make use of the empty place little bit and changed wood texture to make it more acceptable for the scene.

As you can see there will be a menu on the left down corner(Font is just a place holder for now).

So all this work is to replace this scene:

Offline eishiya

• View Profile
    • Website

Reply #12 on: July 20, 2019, 03:46:52 pm
Here's a very messy edit to show what I mean about the scene not having to align to the grid:

I shifted things around to look like they were placed for convenience, rather than everything being parallel. This also makes it easier to give the scene a pleasant composition, since different parts can frame the scene and otherwise lead the eye around.

Since this screen not constrained by navigational needs and all that, you could treat it as an illustration of a place. You could even go further than my basic tweaks and have a perspective illustration where the player can feel more like they're in the space, rather than looking down at a model of it.

Offline Jedemy

• View Profile

Reply #13 on: July 20, 2019, 05:03:15 pm
Thanks for taking your time and doing this! It will actually look way better if i put stuff that way. However it will be also lot of work to change the angle of almost everything.

Offline eishiya

• View Profile
    • Website

Reply #14 on: July 20, 2019, 05:29:39 pm
Yes, it would be a lot of work. For that reason, I recommend roughly blocking in the composition and colours (and maybe lighting) and getting that to a point where you're happy with it before you put in any pixel-level work.

Even for a more grid-like layout, that would be beneficial. It's easy to get bogged down in details and accidentally ignore the composition of the scene and end up with something dull.

Offline Jedemy

• View Profile

Reply #15 on: July 20, 2019, 05:47:42 pm
Probably i couldn't have this experience in a better punishing way after spending more than a week on this scene. Exactly like you said, i just lost myself in details. I will still try to make best out of the scene and update the post but also will make sure to remember for my next attempts on anything else to keep this in my mind.

Thank you Eishiya, exactly your last post did teach me something very important. :)

Offline Jedemy

• View Profile

Reply #16 on: July 21, 2019, 08:03:41 am
Thanks to your mock up , i tried to put things in a little bit more compact and use the middle area for menu, which i think kind of takes away the feeling of empty useless space. Still i will be adding little bit more details to the scene.

Offline Jedemy

• View Profile

Reply #17 on: July 27, 2019, 01:16:36 pm
Here is the latest update with animation

Offline eishiya

• View Profile
    • Website

Reply #18 on: July 27, 2019, 02:14:38 pm
It's very dark currently, which makes a lot of it harder to read, and makes the few bright parts stand out perhaps more than they should.

The animations are a little hard to notice when navigating the menu, especially when navigating it fast like that. Consider having the colours change a little too, e.g. consider having the bright blue parts be dark when idle, and light up as part of the animation and having other illumination (or light-coloured objects) turn on or be revealed for the other locations.

Offline Jedemy

• View Profile

Reply #19 on: July 27, 2019, 03:49:52 pm
I've added a saturation shader, not sure if i should be playing with contrast to make idle more darker though. What do you think?