AuthorTopic: [WIP][Feedback] Submarine interior - Base  (Read 9120 times)

Offline Jedemy

• View Profile

[WIP][Feedback] Submarine interior - Base

on: July 13, 2019, 05:12:38 pm
Hi!

I've been working on this since 3 days , it is going to be new base for my game. It isn't even close to be done yet but i thought it would be great to get some feedback/advice to improve my work along the way while working on it.

I will highly appreciated if you tell me the things you like, don't like and why.

Thank you for taking your time!

Update

Update

Update

Update

Update

Update

Update

Update
« Last Edit: July 28, 2019, 04:39:42 pm by Jedemy »

Offline pistachio

• Mostly lurking
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/125138.htm
    • View Profile

Re: [WIP][Feedback] Submarine interior - Base

Reply #1 on: July 14, 2019, 11:32:11 am
If I'm getting the style right it's pretty good so far. Keeping it flat or adding some wear on the corners, small stains/details etc?
Some parts can have some more contrast, I'm thinking the view out the window, the glass tubes.
I can nitpick some things that are hard to read like the clipboard thing on the desk, but the player can probably figure this out and it's very minor stuff there.
Might make a small edit.

Offline Vinik

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: July 14, 2019, 12:39:27 pm
On instinct I would aggressively metal-highlight the edges of orange parts and the metal fence, although it might be a bit hard on the fence given how thin it is. Then probably na pass on smudges and wear like pistachio mentioned. I like the geometry, the hues and the values  :y: maybe pull the shadows/indirect light globally towards the blue of the background behind the glass, it would make darker areas bluer I think .

Offline Jedemy

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: July 15, 2019, 10:46:36 am
I still didn't get into details much because if i do, i know i won't be able to get out of it for a long time. I am currently just trying to get the concept down.

There will be 5 places in the base: deck, laboratory(research center etc.), workshop, hangar(gate middle bottom) and storage(chest). I am still quite not happy with what i got so far but trying to get there.

Offline Jedemy

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: July 15, 2019, 03:51:01 pm
Did add some more lighting and details

Offline Jedemy

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: July 17, 2019, 12:54:13 pm
Changed bottom gate and added some pipes. This scene is very important to my game, please feel free to critic and tell me my mistakes, so i can just get better at it.

Thanks for your time!

Offline Jedemy

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: July 18, 2019, 11:24:01 am
Tweaked some colours and added some more elements to the scene

Offline Jedemy

• View Profile

Reply #7 on: July 20, 2019, 11:21:56 am
Did add some lighting and some more elements/details.

Offline eishiya

• http://pixeljoint.com/p/28889.htm
    • View Profile
    • Website

Reply #8 on: July 20, 2019, 11:36:56 am
This latest update loses a lot of the readability of the earlier versions because everything is so dark and there's very little contrast between different surfaces. I like the rimlights and dark mood of it, but you lost both some value contrast and a lot of the hue contrast by darkening everything. I think bringing some value contrast back would help a lot.

I noticed even in the very first post, the wood panels on the centre "stage" are more textured than any other surface in the scene, to the point of looking out of place.

This is probably too big of a thing, but have you considered having the window curve, either horizontally or vertically? Being so flat, it makes this place look like an underwater section of a building (typically blocky) rather than a vehicle (typically rounded).
The huge size of the window also doesn't help with the "submarine" look, I think having some reinforcing beams running across it would help it look more like something built to withstand the water pressure.

Offline Jedemy

• View Profile

Reply #9 on: July 20, 2019, 12:26:23 pm
Thanks for the feedback Eishiya! I did add some reinforcing beams and tweaked the lighting a bit.

I am not sure how should i be approaching to wood texture though.

What do you think this as scene though, is it boring or interesting?

It is the base menu for the players to visit after every mission and they will be looking at this very often, i just try to get as perfect as possible with my limited pixeling skill.