AuthorTopic: Vyrkarr - Ending Scene  (Read 5237 times)

Offline Ryan Cordel

• Hi! I'm Daisy!
    • View Profile

Vyrkarr - Ending Scene

on: March 18, 2007, 11:51:25 am
Incase you ask, no, 'Vyrkarr' is not a game, he's one of my (many) characters, tied directly to the one I represent myself with most. The whole artwork piece took about two days to make (Inspiration came from AbyssWolf from DA), and I was able to atleast use the Bubbly/Groady shading to some extents.

Although I already call this final, what are your comments on it? And yes, I realise the cliff looks a tad bit screwy, and the BG was already made for a tileset (Myrad Park), sans the clouds which used various Dither options for the brush in PMotion.

I just recalled, the runic sword looks odd because it was first made horizontally, then rotated around and fixed somewhat. That's why the odd quality of it, that, and I'm still gonna try and study cloth effects at any chance I can for such works.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2007, 12:10:44 pm by Ryan Cordel »

Offline Hishnak

• View Profile
    • Aphotic Pixel

Re: Vyrkarr - Ending Scene

Reply #1 on: March 18, 2007, 12:32:58 pm
Okay fine, I decided to stop lurking and actually post a critique...

There’s a bunch of green pixels around the edge of the sword that seem to serve no purpose but to increase the color count.

The way the dude is sitting on the horse doesn't seem right. I'm not exactly sure what leg position needs to take place but maybe add some stirrups and angle the thigh forward so its just not dangling strait down the side of the horse.

The horse head almost seems disconnected from the body. I think it would behoove the piece to position the head forward a few pixels.

The horse’s front legs seem to twist around each other. Since we're looking on from an angle the further hoof would be moved up the y axis a few pixels to stay true to perspective.

Well, hopefully I haven’t made a fool of myself and you have been helped in some small way.

Offline Ryan Cordel

• Hi! I'm Daisy!
    • View Profile

Reply #2 on: March 18, 2007, 12:35:35 pm
The answer to the 1st question, if you looked at the post a bit, is that it's a runic sword, and therefore needs those markings to have increased capabilities.

For the horse head, I pixeled almost while looking back and forth at horse anatomy, since I haven't really sprited them at all except now. :x

Offline Hishnak

• View Profile
    • Aphotic Pixel

Reply #3 on: March 18, 2007, 12:37:41 pm

Offline Ryan Cordel

• Hi! I'm Daisy!
    • View Profile

Reply #4 on: March 18, 2007, 12:38:24 pm
. . I meant in Wikipedia, for general. But I'll take those into account.

Offline Fool

• View Profile
    • Fool's House

Reply #5 on: March 18, 2007, 01:06:00 pm
I think anatomy is really messed up for both  horse and a rider. Interchanging front legs and put a neck into place might fix horsy a bit, but  i think you should take a close study on that subject. Rider doesn't looks sitting and rather standing with a horse between his legs. I would check for a references. Sunset is beautiful.=)

Here is some quick fixes on horse, still there is room for more and so is for a rider.=)

« Last Edit: March 18, 2007, 02:01:31 pm by Fool »

Offline philipptr

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: March 18, 2007, 01:07:37 pm
The lightsource seems pretty strange. From the background I would say that the sun is behind the horse, but then the shadow of the horse doesn't make any sense (would only make sense if the sun would be very high). From the shading of the horse and the character I would say the sun is on the opposite side. In my opinion this looks very strange all together. The pieces are good, they just don't fit.
Also I think you could have added 2 shades for the sky and used much less dithering since imo it creates some texture which isn't really fitting the sky in this scene

Offline Ryan Cordel

• Hi! I'm Daisy!
    • View Profile

Reply #7 on: March 18, 2007, 03:24:49 pm
@Fool:

I really like the shading approach you took there for the rear-darkened leg of the horse, gives it a 'DOS' like feeling. I'll try that out sometime, but in the mean time, thanks y'all. (Although the face looks more like a donkey now, to be honest. o.o; ) This kind of edits kinda makes me feel bad about the way I try to make things in pixel art (referring to overall anatomy, etc.), but I can only try to improve. There's still many years to go for me, atleast. :P

@Philipptr:

To be honest, the BG was actually tacked on without any real purpose, but just to complete the picture, as I said, it was already left over from a tileset I posted on this forum (if you can actually be bothered to search WAY back in pages..), but I'll see what I can do about it. I'll post an edited version up soon.

Offline Gil

• Too square to be hip
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/475.htm
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio

Reply #8 on: March 18, 2007, 11:03:34 pm

Offline Ryan Cordel

• Hi! I'm Daisy!
    • View Profile

Reply #9 on: March 19, 2007, 06:44:01 pm
Yeah. That's a tad bit less satisfying for me, compared to what most other forumers have. :P

EDIT:

Good enough..?
« Last Edit: March 19, 2007, 07:03:12 pm by Ryan Cordel »