AuthorTopic: Hyperrealism in pixel art and its applications to the contemporary design scene.  (Read 6742 times)

Offline rougewisp

• the other side of the pillow
    • View Profile
No, not really. It sounded better than 'dinosaur lineart, lulz'.

Brief artistic background: Photoshop/design/photography/vector en masse, little to no drawing.

So I'm trying to hammer out this piece. I followed the Derek Yu school of drawing lineart, but I'm not terribly satisfied with how it looks. And seems like I would be wasting a lot of time if I started coloring it, etc. only to go back and redraw everything.

Anyways, the final product looks fantastic in my head, but I keep getting hung up on the lineart. I know it's not a lot to go on, but any thoughts? Particularly the leg and the tail, which look like absolute crap to me. Someone suggested that I elongate the head to make it less humanoid, which I've been toying with but with little success.

current version
« Last Edit: March 20, 2007, 09:49:11 am by rougewisp »
for great justice

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides
The character is off-balance. Check center of gravity by eyeballing mass distribution. Given that massive tail that would connect at the spine, the feet need to be pulled to the right for at least 20 pixels.

And 'dino lineart' is fine.

Offline AdamAtomic

• natural born medic
    • View Profile
    • Adam Atomic
or more appropriately, his head pushed forward to balance everything out; while it can be adorable, dinosaurs likely never sat up straight while sticking their tails out at a 90 degree angle!

Offline rougewisp

• View Profile
Moved legs, changed a few lines. Feet were crap, so I made them into... stubs, I guess. Can't have it be too realistic, now. Looking at it now I think I might want to bring the legs closer to the body.

for great justice

Offline Rydin

• ...zzzt...
    • @thickDumps
    • View Profile
    • thickDumps
No right arms and legs? ???
Man cannot remake himself without suffering for he is both the marble and the sculptor.

Offline rougewisp

• View Profile

Changed stance and added in right limbs. Are the arms too big, maybe?
for great justice

Offline Crazy Asian Gamer

• Guess who follows trends?
    • View Profile
    • CAG's NONEXISTANT Page... of DOOM

Changed stance and added in right limbs.
looks better.
Are the arms too big, maybe?
The arms themselves, being too big or small, well, at this point, it's a style choice, and I don't personally think it's too big.

However, the (dino's) right limbs, assuming this piece is not isometric, would appear smaller than the closer left ones, with the basic rules of perspective and all.

I hope to see you color it in soon. Methinks it could be smaller, as I wouldn't attempt to color something this large. XD

Offline rougewisp

• View Profile

It's 6:30am here, I should probably sleep. Anyways, I just wanted to get the colors out, and mess around with light and shadow a bit.
for great justice

Offline Malor

• Masquerading as a black bear.
    • View Profile

It's 6:30am here, I should probably sleep. Anyways, I just wanted to get the colors out, and mess around with light and shadow a bit.

Where is your lightsource coming from? I can see like..2 or 3. The stance for the dino seems unbalanced. Make both feet lay flat, unless the DIno is supposed to be running, if that is the case..I made an edit, I messed with the leg stance, to make a sort of waddle..run stance, and I changed the shading to match a single lightsource. I also...completly fucked up the left arm :-[

Quote from: Adarias
I'm not going to pretend this is a small task either; certainly none of us here can claim to have accomplished it.  it's the realm of masters.  still, it's what we all have to try for.

Offline rougewisp

• View Profile
And here's a picture of me trying to bite off more than I can chew:

With the legs I was trying to make the dinosaur (I should probably name him something...) have kind of pin legs.  Hopefully this one emphasizes it a little more.

I didn't really like the lighting, or the fact that it was floating in space, so I decided to uh... redo it. I'm pretty much clueless when it comes to lighting though, so help is appreciated. I'm going to hold off on the big fire and the streetlamp until I'm happy with the smaller fire.

I think I need to redo a lot of the colors.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2007, 09:50:45 am by rougewisp »
for great justice